And Finally

Some of the News, every Once in a While

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Dindong
[Insert Here]

And Finally

Post by Dindong »

I'm starting a whole new thread that can have 200 replies because it is a Purpose Thread. And that purpose is wacky news

Doesn't have to be though, I'd prefer everyone just talk about my thing. Which is this.
The Dail Mail wrote:Right-wingers tend to be less intelligent than left-wingers, and people with low childhood intelligence tend to grow up to have racist and anti-gay views, says a controversial new study.

Conservative politics work almost as a ‘gateway’ into prejudice against others, say the Canadian academics.

The paper analysed large UK studies which compared childhood intelligence with political views in adulthood across more than 15,000 people. The authors claim that people with low intelligence gravitate towards right-wing views because they make them feel safe.
The Daily Mail is a reactionary, right-wing tabloid. It's weird that they would post this, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the study either, although I only read the article so I'm not going to defend the study.

This study was unnecessary though, I already knew that everyone who disagrees with me is mentally defective.
Last edited by Dindong on Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Re: And Finally

Post by Sahan »

From the Daily Mail? That is a very bizzare story for them to post indeed!
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Dindong
[Insert Here]

Post by Dindong »

Also why did my URL fuck up?

I'm assuming it was too long for the forum? Whatever, anyway I shortened it. And it is strange for the daily mail to carry it. Reading the comments is useless because of all the leftwing people, daytrippers basically. You can't get a real sense of the community on this article. The top rated comments are all about how this is patently obvious and such.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

How do they define intelligence in the study? Anyone know? It is not news that people with lower levels of education are more prone to be bigoted (as well as poor, unhealthy, married and /or parents at younger ages, etc.) It is also not news that ideologies that heavily promote maintaining the status quo* tend to attract similar people.

*or regressing to some imagined earlier status quo that never really existed in the first place**
**I'm looking at you Tea Partiers
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Dindong
[Insert Here]

Post by Dindong »

They defined intelligence by testing IQ stuff. We all know that the IQ test isn't a great way of testing intelligence because we don't have a vigorous understanding even of intelligence (can a machine simulate that exact machine?), but the IQ test generally works as long as you don't take the idea that because you got 143 and I got 142 that you will always be cleverer.

They only compared like with like when it comes to level of education.

Why is it news? The news is the study. They did a study. The only flaw I can think of is the way they tested left and right-wing. They got some statements and they had to decide whether they agreed with them or not and maybe the ones the researchers chose as "right-wing" were worded like "the darkies make me scared" and the "left-wing" were "it is always better to be kind".

But the news is strangely concurrent with an idea I had coming home from the gym (ladies) that liberal people understood the conservative position, but conservatives did not understand the liberal viewpoint? Strange that both these things happened within 24 hours of each other.

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Your IQ is not static. You will be dumber if you are thirsty, tired, mentally tired, hungry, unhappy, bored, overexcited or distracted et cetera.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Dindong
[Insert Here]

Post by Dindong »

well sure but let's be honest there are things that affect everything.

everything is one mannnnnnnnnnn

get it mannnnnnn

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Fucking finally found the full text of the study:

http://pss.sagepub.com/content/23/2/187.full
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Eisbreaker
He Who Must Not Be d

Post by Eisbreaker »

GUTCHUCKER wrote:Your IQ is not static. You will be dumber if you are thirsty, tired, mentally tired, hungry, unhappy, bored, overexcited or distracted et cetera.
You forgot stupid.
Don't drink and drive, take LSD and Teleport.

Dindong
[Insert Here]

Post by Dindong »

But not that much dumber, the IQ test is pretty good at saying you are quite good at IQ tests.

Jiro
Carbon copy

Post by Jiro »

Well I know where I'm coming when I get in arguments next election.

Dindong
[Insert Here]

Post by Dindong »

You're going to tell them that it's okay, you understand, they are just much more stupid and that's why we have this disagreement.

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Jiro wrote:Well I know where I'm coming when I get in arguments next election.
In your pants?
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Dindong
[Insert Here]

Post by Dindong »

Classic GUTCHUCKER.