The NHL Thread

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Frostbite
I dunno.

Re: The NHL Thread

Post by Frostbite »

Cogliano is a speed demon. He plays for keeps. Can you beat the Crovechkin* man though? Can you?

*Crosby and Ovechkin on one line.
Doin' podcasts before they were cool.

ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite

Post by ruotwocone »

Frostbite wrote:Cogliano is a speed demon. He plays for keeps. Can you beat the Crovechkin* man though? Can you?

*Crosby and Ovechkin on one line.
don't forget to put malkin on that line... just put crosby on the right side (or if you were a wuss, you could put iginla on the right).

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

Eh, in the season before our current one, we had Kane over on the right wing. We traded him to some team for picks, so they could have the right to negotiate with him. We picked up some fellow the guy created for the draft named Boedker. Has like a 97 in speed and an 87 overall with potential left.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

So, Calgary is going to be a huge contender this year. Huge. Jokinen will fit in there very well, and probably quite quickly.
Phoenix did well for the future. And Edmonton may have set themselves up very nicely for a great run next year, perhaps the year after.
And, frankly I'm happy with the Burke's draft pickups. Dumping some okay players for a future. The vast amount of washed-up goalies we picked up is interesting. Toskala to get all healed up, Gerber to play, Cujo to play, Pogge stays in the minors, and Olaf Kolzig doesn't see the ice and retires in the summer or signs somewhere else. The last of which was a really shrewd deal. Pretty crappy for any of the players involved, but a useless trade that ultimately will be a freeing of Tampa's cap room in return for a 4th round draft pick. Well-played Burke.

On the topic of NHL09:
I'm loving my current top line. I have "myself" on centre, and Cogliano and Brule on my wings. I'm a 94, Cogliano is an 83 I believe, and I think Brule is a 79. Add Kaberle and Phaneuf on my d-line and they are the most dynamic setup I've played with. The only other line that played as well was when I had Rick Nash, myself and Jason Spezza on a top line for a tournament I played (both are from my hometown of Brampton).
My current season I've messed with the lines constantly. Cogliano's been up there most of the time, but I've had a revolving door on the other wing. Steen, Turris, Cammalleri (before I traded him), Grabovski and Wellwood. I think thats it. Brule has been the best. I'm gonna get rid of Kaberle in the off-season (I'm at the trade deadline right now). I have Ehroff on my second line, and in comparisons for ice-time he is doing better than Kaberle, so I'm going to dump him for some picks and bring up Salcido from the Marlies (a prospect I've grabbed up). Also I have McCardell, Versteeg and Chris Bourque on the Marlies who I want to begin to feed into my team.

My team before the trade deadline (I was only a few games in front of it when I picked up my season again today):
Brule , Dykstra, Cogliano
Steen, Wellwood, Grabovski
Turris, Vermette, Stempniak
Brassard, Gagner (Sam), Raymond

Phaneuf, Kaberle
Seabrook, Ehroff
White, Russell (Kris, I believe)

Price
Joseph

I traded Turris and a 3rd round pick for a 1st round and I traded Raymond (who was great in stats but I was disappointed with his play) straight up for a player whose name I don't recall. Raymond's replacement is on the third line and Moore is on the last line (mostly to preserve the rookie status of any of the guys I want to bring up in the off-season).
Dykstra, Wellwood and Vermette all have great faceoff stats (Wellwood and Vermette are probably the only people under the age of 30 with faceoff stats of over 75, with 88 and 90 respectively), so they stay as the perpetual centres, usually in that order. I'm actually tempted to lose Vermette, simply because he takes more penalties than the rest of my team combined (fighting not included), though his faceoff stats are too good to ignore.

And I'm rambling quite a bit here.

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

Keep Price for forever. He makes some seriously bone headed plays, and will occasionally let a soft goal in. But most of the time, the guy is a hero in net.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Helm is the guy I couldn't remember. His speed impressed me so I thought I'd give him a shot.

mypoorbrain

Post by mypoorbrain »

Ahhh, I haven't played a hockey video game seriously since I believe it was NHL 95 for the SNES. Good times, yep. It seems that it was much easier to stack a team back then, too. I'd go through the season winning each game with scores of 10-0 or so, and watch my 5 starting players (since I'd usually play without line changes) shoot to the top of the scoring chart.

*sigh* those were the days.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Congratulations to my roomate for winning the league.
Also, congratulations to TwoBuy, who despite not ever being here, managed to take 2nd place in our fantasy league.

I was in the finals in my other two leagues. Second in the one, and first in the more important one, my keeper league.

Avalant
Ahmet's sex life

Post by Avalant »

Playoffs start on Wednesday!

Go Bruins :D

ruotwocone

Post by ruotwocone »

Lethal Interjection wrote:Congratulations to my roomate for winning the league.
Also, congratulations to TwoBuy, who despite not ever being here, managed to take 2nd place in our fantasy league.

I was in the finals in my other two leagues. Second in the one, and first in the more important one, my keeper league.
don't forget i got third... my picture's up there and everything. also, if it wasn't for your filthy roommate we would have had an all two final. jackass
Avalant wrote:Playoffs start on Wednesday!

Go Bruins :D
bruins suck ass... go canucks!

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

My pick to win the Cup is already down 2-0. Damned Sharks. Poopin' all over the bed on this one.

ruotwocone

Post by ruotwocone »

hey, who modstick'd my double post into one!?

bitches

Avalant
Ahmet's sex life

Post by Avalant »

I'm glad the Sharks are down 2-1, I don't root for #1 seeds unless it's a team I normally follow (like the Bruins).

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

ruotwocone wrote:hey, who modstick'd my double post into one!?

bitches
'Twas Ed. Uh...hockey and stuff! Alright, I contributed to the conversation.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Wow. Less than 90 seconds left and NJ was up by a goal. With 30 seconds left Carolina was up by a goal. Carolina wins. Crazy last 2 minutes. Crazy.
Happy for the Canes, though.