Good Comics

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Re: Good Comics

Post by Edminster »

Astrogirl wrote:Freefall: http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff100/fv00001.htm
Updates Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Has been going on since 1998. In comic time about three-and-a-half weeks have passed. It's science fiction and funny and kinda philosophy. The main characters are:
- A squid-like alien, wearing a protective suit, who likes stealing stuff and annoying people - he's the captain of a ship, that until the middle of the comic is not able to fly yet.
- An ethical wolf female engineer.
- A robot who was corrupted by the squid-like alien.
Then there are many other robots and a few nice humans and a few evil humans.
Oh boy I certainly am excited to catch up on fifteen years of a comic! Some napkin math says it takes about one hundred strips per day if spread evenly. And oh, jesus, the art doesn't get any better over those fifteen years, if looking at the first and last strips is any indication. The story better be all sorts of amazing because otherwise I am fairly certain you posted this in the wrong thread.

Kill Six Billion Demons is about a woman who is suddenly way out of her depth. The art is incredible, the story interesting, and the world fluff amazing. If you are a good enough writer you can influence the mythology of the world in the comments, as well.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Edminster wrote:Oh boy I certainly am excited to catch up on fifteen years of a comic! Some napkin math says it takes about one hundred strips per day if spread evenly.
It took me only a couple of days.
And oh, jesus, the art doesn't get any better over those fifteen years, if looking at the first and last strips is any indication.
It was already good to start with, though. And since the middle it has color!
The story better be all sorts of amazing
It is. I would say it is better than that of any other web comic I have read so far.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Astrogirl wrote:I would say it is better than that of any other web comic I have read so far.
I read the first fifty strips and clearly you have never read any other webcomics so I will back off on this and just recommend actually good ones.

Here are some that are leagues better, just from the last few pages of this thread:

Sorcery 101
Gunnerkrigg Court
Red's Planet
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

I have read all of those. They are very decent, too.

You haven't even reached the philosophical robot stuff.

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

This was rather lovely:

http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/10/0 ... fantastic/

Or, in its original French, 'cause I know some of you are into that kind of language:

http://www.bouletcorp.com/blog/2013/10/ ... ntastique/
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Man, can I just recommend everything Boulet draws? I think I'm more a fan of his art than his comics, but both are pretty good.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

This looks good.

I'll need to keep my trusty French-English dictionary at hand. This'll be the only practice I'll have had in about almost a year.

e: French cursive might best me though.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

This has probably been posted in here before, but I can't be assed to read through the whole thread
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

http://ohumanstar.com/chapter-1-title-page/ Oh Human Star
There are robots. And people. And people who used to be dead who are now robots. And flying teenage girl robots. It's awesome.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

I've been reading that. It's not bad but I'm not really sure where it's going.

The Scarf is a cute 20 or so page comic by Emmy Cicierega people might like if they like whimsical short stories and really pretty art.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Bird Boy

Strong story, really nice art, far enough in to hook you, but small enough archives you can catch up pretty easily in an afternoon. Especially good if you like comics heavily influenced by mythology. Updates Fridays.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

just caught up on Sister Claire. Recommended if you like nuns doing martial arts, immaculate conceptions, stories that play off medieval Christian mythologies and lots of powerpuff girls, star wars and sailor moon references.

uteg

Post by uteg »

Yeah, Sister Claire is great. I really enjoy it too :D

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Thorsby started a new comic: Transdimensional Brain Chip: http://brainchip.thecomicseries.com/comics/first/ A stupid guy is implanted a transdimensional brain chip. He gets to stay in touch with his other me's in other universes that split off from this one exactly once a week for some reason. But then he starts to lose touch with some of the other me's. What is happening? Does the experimental chip just stop functioning? Are they dying? If the latter, what is happening? Are they being murdered or is there a nuclear war or both?

Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

Heeeey everyone.

I just got back to comics in a big way and have discovered some good ones that I want to share.

In addition to echoing praise for everything Thorsby does including The Transdimensional Brain Chip, I would like to further recommend the following:

Nimona: This comic is beautiful and smart and funny. It is ALMOST finished. Two pages to go. Archive binge now if you want your last chance to experience the angst of waiting for the next update in real time. I am following about 40 comics on my RSS reader right now and this comic generates the most excitement for me when an update comes up.

You could also wait like a week if you DON'T want to experience angst, I guess.

Imogen Quest: A really nice comic with some really nice jokes. There's a lot of good comics here, but look at this first one.

The Creepy Casefiles Of Margo Maloo: This is a story comic that is just getting cranking, but I think it already has enough updates that it has well-demonstrated that it is charming. I met the guy who did this comic at the last Small Press Expo and he is as charming as his comic.

All I have to do to be fully back into comics is re-catch up with all the Homestuck I missed and I'll be all good. I'm a pretty fast comic reader, so it should only take a few years.
When the going gets tough, the tough get lonely sometimes.