[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
SMBC Comics Forum • View topic - The Linguists' Club!

The Linguists' Club!

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Re: The Linguists' Club!

Postby LordRetard » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:27 am

Fuck man I am studying Spanish and German. I don't know any puns in THOSE languages either.
LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Postby mountainmage » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:33 am

No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away
mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Postby LordRetard » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:39 am

How am I going to get any of these? I can barely read any Spanish.

"En Buenos Aires hay un hipódromo. Cuando vaya allí, quiero participar en un concurso de hipos."
HILARIOUS. I knew some people who could burp on command and some of them were damn loud at it, but it's not the same thing.

And I understood this one:
"El odio es un hijo de disputa."
But I don't GET it. It says "hate is a son of dispute". What the hell does that mean?
LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Postby ChooChooTrain » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:40 am

LR, is probably more of a grammar thing than linguistics, but you may still be interested. I thought it was awesome.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." -Oscar Wilde
ChooChooTrain
Ludicrous Rationale

Postby LordRetard » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:42 am

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Postby mountainmage » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:50 am

Oh Choochoo, I've heard of that before. And now, ladies and gentlemen, I present:
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away
mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Postby Oldrac the Chitinous » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:32 am

Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.
Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Postby mountainmage » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:35 am

I'll believe it when I see it.
mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Postby Edminster » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:38 am

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Postby Oldrac the Chitinous » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:41 am

Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.
Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Postby mountainmage » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:45 am

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Postby Edminster » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:48 am

Edminster

Postby mountainmage » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:10 am

Well, as the creator of General General, I can say I wasn't being as creative as you thought I was. Y'see there was this show on cartoon network a while ago, called . Now, I don't remember much about it, but there was a character named General Specific and he had an underling, Private Public. I thought the names were clever, and they just stuck with me. And that's how I came up with General General.
mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Postby Edminster » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:16 am

I must admit that as soon as I saw your first mention of General General I thought of that show. However, I wasn't certain that it wasn't simply a figment of my imagination, but I couldn't be arsed to verify otherwise.

Also I was recently attempting to read Catch-22 which has a character named Major Major who holds a rank of Major (creating Major Major Major for those of you playing at home). So, that helped connect everything together.
Edminster

Postby mountainmage » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:20 am

Bah, you saw right through me.*

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

PreviousNext

Return to General