The weather outside!

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Re: The weather outside!

Post by Edminster »

the plow came through once and instead of clearing the turnaround at the end of the street it just went in reverse the entire way out

turns out the backside of the actual plow part is great at spreading out snow that fell back in the street

it has since started snowing again
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

DonRetrasado wrote:
Astrogirl wrote:Several cities here have banned people privately putting Nackle on the streets and sidewalks.
Road nackle has some downsides because of its environmental impact, it can run off into freshwater bodies, soil, and cause corrosion of metals. Animals/small children can also get sick by eating it, or it can get stuck in their feet which can do some damage. Plus at a low enough temperature it won't really help with ice that much.
Here we call it salting the road, but we actually mostly use gravel. It provides friction and doesn't do environmental damage.

It rained today. Say what you will about weather below -20C, but at least it's stable. No large dumps of snow, no new ice. Just a bit of a pain scrapping your windshield in the morning.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

DonRetrasado wrote:
Astrogirl wrote:Several cities here have banned people privately putting Nackle on the streets and sidewalks.
Road nackle has some downsides because of its environmental impact, it can run off into freshwater bodies, soil, and cause corrosion of metals. Animals/small children can also get sick by eating it, or it can get stuck in their feet which can do some damage. Plus at a low enough temperature it won't really help with ice that much.
And regular Nackle really messes up concrete. Chloride ions bond into the cement and cause it to expand which causes surface spalling and cracking. That it turns leaves the concrete vulnerable to water infiltration and further destruction by freeze-thaw cycles.

It stopped snowing about ten hours ago. They almost have one lane each way on the road in front of my house clear. As previously noted it is a snow emergency route and the Nackle storage / plow yard is on it a bit from my house. My first day of school has already been cancelled and I'm guessing most or all of the first week will be. We are supposed to get some warmer temperatures, so hopefully it will melt quickly. That means flooding though.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

diggy diggy snow
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Snow be melting :(

Still probably won't have classes tomorrow, though.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Edminster wrote:Image

diggy diggy snow
Fuck :shock:
Microaggression? Microaggression!

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Edminster wrote:Image

diggy diggy snow
Pfft here in Canadia we call that "no snow"

nah that's a lot of snow
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

The house and walk are all dug out, thankfully one my neighbors took a turn clearing all the steps from the road to our houses. Those things are a pain to clear since they are set into the hill a few feet so you have to lift the snow up pretty high to dump and then of course more snow just falls down the steps. I'm hoping the snow on the porch roofs melts before it all slides off on the front and back walk and has to be shoveled again. I had to knock some pretty big icicles down last night to keep the weight from ripping the gutters off.

Today I have to walk a few blocks to where my truck got parked and dig that out a bit. Hopefully that road has been plowed. I'm pretty sure I can get out even if it isn't, but it will be a bit tricky and at some point soon I'm going to have to go to work or school.

Just checked the weather, low of 1.5C and high of 6C tomorrow with a 50% chance of evening rain showers. That should get rid of significant amounts of snow.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

DonRetrasado wrote: Pfft here in Canadia we call that "no snow"

nah that's a lot of snow
This was sort of my response when I saw pictures of this ilk.
Not the "no snow" part, exactly. But I feel like we typically get a storm of that voracity once, maybe twice, every year.
So it's neither regular nor foreign.

We actually had a discussion at work about snowstorms. A few of us hope we get a good storm (something akin to the above) this year yet. Which seems increasingly unlikely. The others were very hopeful that we have a snowstorm free year.
Which ended up with me waxing on about how I love driving in the snow, and recounting a few great examples. Such as:
- The time my friend and I thought that a mid-December snowstorm would be the perfect time to get some Christmas shopping done. Ran into a few minor issues as it was my first winter in a manual transmission. That plus the fact that the mall was mostly closed/closing.
- The time I had plans to head out to Ottawa (normally about a 5 hour drive) but we had a huge storm. I didn't actually call it off until my intended departure time, despite the fact that the snow was really building up all morning. And even still, the only reason I bailed was because I knew that the weather and other drivers would mean the trip would probably be 12 hours or so, not because of my personal response to the weather. But I still went to the grocery store in weather that 95% of the population wouldn't have braved. Partially because I had next to nothing in the house, but also because I really wanted to do a bit of snow-driving.

Most of my coworkers thought I was nuts. But I'm super-comfortable driving in the snow. Huge credit to my dad for that. I can't say he taught me to drive in the snow, persay. But he did shock and delight us throughout my childhood by pulling e-brake turns in the snow. Which, once I was driving age, I wanted to do. So you do that in a parking lot a bit, then progress to the side-streets, and before long you get comfortable with how to adjust in snowy weather.
I will admit that I enjoy it somewhat less when I'm driving manual transmission (about half of my car-ownership). It's a lot more finicky, and there is a lot more to think about. Gear-play does grant you some allowance for getting out of some situations, but the 'fun' is diminished because slides are more difficult to initiate and control.

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

Since the record breaking snow storm it has been slowly warming. It didn't even get close to freezing last night. Wednesday is supposed to be a high of 17C with rain all day, so all but the largest piles of snow should be completely gone by Thursday morning. Which is good because when they finished clearing my road yesterday they left a 3 or 4 meter high pile right behind my car so I can't see if any cars are coming off the exit ramp from the interstate at way to high of a speed before I pull out. Under normal conditions it can be a bit frightening to pull out of the parking space, with no visibility it is much worse obviously. Fortunately the pile still blocks the right lane a bit which gives me some buffer if no one is being especially reckless and stupid.

Hopefully we are done with any major snow. Our area is definitely not equipped to deal with the 75 or so cm we got. There are still some spots in the city where one lane is blocked and everyone has to merge over.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

It was 19C and sunny yesterday and it's 19C and sunny today - classic NC winter. There's still a big snow drift between my house and my neighbors' because it's in constant shade.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

We actually got a decent accumulation of snow today. 2-3 inches from what I can tell, falling since 9am or so.
Went out because I needed a few more ingredients for chili (and also snow driving... yay!).
The driving wasn't bad at all. Mostly because it was a pretty fluffy snow and there was little wind.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

We've been jumping back and forth from spring to winter all March. Currently it's winter at -3 with snow, but it's supposed to be +8C tomorrow, and snow the day after tomorrow.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Winter-Spring hopping for me consists of a few days in 25 C and a couple in 13 C then back to the 20s.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

I think I'd rather have your spring/winter fluxes.