The weather outside!

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Re: The weather outside!

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Nice.

It's hot, humid, and occasionally thunderstorming here. Today it was 36C with 55% humidity.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

We were mostly spared hot weather in May and June, which was nice. But the heat and humidity has come with July with highs in the low to mid 30s and the heat index pushing over 40. I was hoping to mostly be out of the field during the summer and in a nice air conditioned lab or office, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

31C (44C humidex), it's maybe a little bit humid today. Also sever thunderstorm and tornado warnings because we're not actually allowed to have nice weather.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

smiley_cow wrote:Also sever thunderstorm and tornado warnings because we're not actually allowed to have nice weather.
And here they are:

(Pictures from Hartney and Lauder MB. There's been reports of one here in Brandon, but no official confirmation yet.)

edit: we're also getting golf ball sized hail. :/
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

And a video of two other tornadoes (top image is Hartney, these two are near Reston.)

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

smiley_cow wrote:Image
Those look too organic to be hail...
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

DonRetrasado wrote: Those look too organic to be hail...
I mean there's also this picture here. I dunno, people posted a lot of hail ice pictures but they're kind of all over the place and I'm kind of lazy. But I can assure you large hail from all around the Westman area seems to be pretty consistent, and that particular pic was even reposted on the weather network's website*.

I don't know why that particular hail is shaped like that, but I'm not a science-y person at all.

Of course it's still nothing compared to the hail Manitou got yesterday. A lot of which also came out looking kind of funky.

*Autoplay video on the other side of that link

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Man, we could use a good storm here. It's been so dry.
Preferably not one with twisters.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Yeah, we've been getting rain near constantly here all month. I'd give you some of ours if I could.

Edit: I thought we'd gotten off pretty lucky with this storm, but a big tornado apparently ripped through Long Plain First Nation and 18 families are homeless. And apparently a vacant mobile home has gone missing.

Still, as far as I know, no one's actually been hurt.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

36°C here yesterday. Fucking hot.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

The sun burnt all the fog away and now it's a nice sunny day. Not hot, just sunny. In the shade it's temperate, and in the sun it's warm.

So I'm using this good weather to run the washing machine on my parents farm. Having solar power dictates when you do a lot of things. I should do some ironing too, before sunset.
King Prawn

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Astrogirl wrote:36°C here yesterday. Fucking hot.
Oh I'd love a day or two of that right now. It's hit peak 'Melbourne winter' over the past day or so, which is really not that cold in world terms but in local terms is freezing.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

I generally avoid leaving the house when it hits 30C, where it has been for most of the past week. Looking forward to deep winter, which threatens less to kill me.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

We had a great thunderstorm early this morning (6-8am).
To my abject horror, it actually feels MORE HUMID now.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

It has been around 36 with the humidity pushing it to 38ish. Not fun. The relative humidity drops during the day, so even when the ambient temp is decent, it still feels nasty. Yesterday the heat advisory began at 4:45 am, but fortunately it cooled off a bit overnight and this morning was not unpleasent. This afternoon will still be terrible though.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.