Alcohol talkin'.

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Alcohol talkin'.

Post by DonRetrasado »

We've been talking a bit on the subject of our favourite drinks for a bit so I thought that maybe we should have a dedicated thread.
Lethal Interjection wrote:Also, while I don't count it as it isn't apple, I did quite like Sir Perry's Pear Cider.
Rekorderlig makes a good pear cider too. They have one flavoured with berries and one flavoured with elderflower, and they're both very sweet and flavourful, though they don't really have the same "cidery" taste as apple ciders. Apple cider is also on the ingredients but I think it's just for flavour and colour.

I also bought the Waupoos Cider today. It was pretty tough, as it only comes in a 4-pack and it really doesn't fit in my bag (I don't drive). They're chilling in my fridge now and I'll try one later. I also saw bottles of County Cider for sale; I might pick one up later as they're made by the same company apparently.

EDIT: Incidentally this thread is for appreciation of different alcohol. If you want to talk about how trashed you are go here. If you make a mistake I'll FREAK OUT
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Re: Alcohol talkin'.

Post by Apocalyptus »

I don't usually like Rekordelig as it's too soft drink-ey for me, but the 'Winter Cider' is very nice. It's the apple cider with cinnamon and elderberry I think.

Edit: Oh, plus a few weekends ago I was persuaded to try a few shots of Spirytus, which was so strong it didn't have any taste at all.
The sensation of the skin in my mouth drying out as I drank it was pretty interesting, however.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus

Post by Kovvy »

Fox Barrel makes some pretty nice pear ciders.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Waupoos is pretty good.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

There's a small meadery down South of perth which makes amazing mead. I doubt it goes international but it goes under the name of Bartholomew's meadery.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

I don't think I've ever seen mead for sale anywhere. I bet it tastes grosser and less like beer than pop culture about vikings has led me to believe.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Sahan wrote:There's a small meadery down South of perth which makes amazing mead. I doubt it goes international but it goes under the name of Bartholomew's meadery.
I got all excited about the free shipping to anywhere in Australia, and then saw it's only if you order a dozen bottles.
Given that I've never tried mead before spending $100+ on it probably wouldn't be a good idea...
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

Well, the Sweet Forest mead I tried is actually very palatable. My friends and I bought a couple of bottles last summer holidays, and wished we had bought more. Some of them went ahead and ordered the 12 bottles when they went home. It is sweet but not overpoweringly so, and much like drinking nectar. I didn't know Vikings were portrayed to drink mead and would actually seriously doubt it. It doesn't seem to be at all manly.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Apocalyptus wrote:Oh, plus a few weekends ago I was persuaded to try a few shots of Spirytus, which was so strong it didn't have any taste at all.
The sensation of the skin in my mouth drying out as I drank it was pretty interesting, however.
One of the bartenders my girlfriend works with brought back poteen from Ireland when he went to visit family for the holidays. It was one of the most delicious things I've ever tasted. US moonshine usually tastes like kerosene, but this was mostly flavorless with the slightest hint of sweet.

I'm currently trying to track down a bottle of Redbreast 12 year Cask Strength Irish whiskey. I'm a huge fan of the regular stuff so I'm itching to try the undiluted version. It only appears to be available in the US by dubious mail order though. Hopefully next year it will be on shelves.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Apocalyptus wrote:I don't usually like Rekordelig as it's too soft drink-ey for me, but the 'Winter Cider' is very nice. It's the apple cider with cinnamon and elderberry I think.
I feel the same about Growers. Felt like a super sweet wine-cooler.

Also, your 'winter cider' reminded me that the guys who make Waupoos also make an 'ice cider' (like ice wine, but, you know...) which I very much would like to try.

sotic
[Insert Here]

Post by sotic »

As stated earlier, I'm not a connoisseur by any stretch* but I think champagne is freaking awesome. It tastes great and goes down like soda.** I had five glasses tonight at my reception after my sister's choir performance (which was even better than the champagne).

*What's the rung below 'novice'? I'm that.

**I drink champagne way too fast.
Wind catches lily / Scatt'ring petals to the wind: / Segmentation fault

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

sotic wrote:What's the rung below 'novice'? I'm that.
I think it's "mook."
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

sotic wrote:As stated earlier, I'm not a connoisseur by any stretch* but I think champagne is freaking awesome. It tastes great and goes down like soda.** I had five glasses tonight at my reception after my sister's choir performance (which was even better than the champagne).

*What's the rung below 'novice'? I'm that.

**I drink champagne way too fast.
When it comes to wines, the rank below novice is "unpretentious imbiber." I urge you to avoid striving for a higher rank and remain happy where you are. Your non-wine snob friends will thank you. The only characteristic you should judge a wine on is whether you like it or not.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

As someone who knows almost nothing about wine, I did have to explain to my friend who is "getting into wine" what a rosé is.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

I don't drink, but this is I think relevant and has the bonus effect of making super-snobs angry at you:

ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud