Alcohol talkin'.

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Sandwiches
[Insert In Mouth]

Re: Alcohol talkin'.

Post by Sandwiches »

I hear beer also benefits from aeration.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I had a pair of Crown Floats (half-pint Strongbow, half-pint Guinness) today out in the sun. Marvelous.

Sandwiches
[Insert In Mouth]

Post by Sandwiches »

I drank 2 bottles of King Cobra, a 7.5% alchol 500ml. It's pretty great. What a beer!

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

I buy bundaberg rum and coke and drink it.
Yup.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

sotic
[Insert Here]

Post by sotic »

The other day I got some specialty "chocolate espresso" wine. I didn't think it would taste good, I was just curious and it was $10. It tasted like spoiled chocolate milk. I poured that shit down the drain.

Then I bought some Jameson. I love tiny Wisconsin villages, they never card.
Wind catches lily / Scatt'ring petals to the wind: / Segmentation fault

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Where I come from, we have a drinking age of 19 and in high school I almost never got carded anyway.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Here's it's 18, but most people start drinking around 14 because there is nothing to do in Manitoba.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

sotic
[Insert Here]

Post by sotic »

DonRetrasado wrote:Where I come from, we have a drinking age of 19 and in high school I almost never got carded anyway.
It's tougher in the US, or at least I think it's not so common. In major grocery stores, or at least as major as one can find in Wisconsin, they always ask for ID; same for most restaurants too.
Wind catches lily / Scatt'ring petals to the wind: / Segmentation fault

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

sotic wrote:
DonRetrasado wrote:Where I come from, we have a drinking age of 19 and in high school I almost never got carded anyway.
It's tougher in the US, or at least I think it's not so common. In major grocery stores, or at least as major as one can find in Wisconsin, they always ask for ID; same for most restaurants too.
Yeah, Ontario isn't that strict. I remember going out to a restaurant with some friends, probably about 12 of us in total. I was probably about 4 months past my 19th, and my friend was about 8 months past. Everyone else at the table was under 19, including my friend's sister who was about 14 at the time. We were not carded.
Also, in university we realized that we had to go the bar after 10pm for them not to check IDs, as one of my friends had not yet turned 19.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I have recently found Vanilla Sambucca. It pleases me.
King Prawn

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Kimra wrote:I have recently found Vanilla Sambucca. It pleases me.
This intrigues me. I don't like Sambuca. But I feel like the vanilla addition might bring it into a realm I might enjoy.
I'll probably never try it, though.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

You can have a shot when you visit next. Hell we an drink the whole bottle.
King Prawn

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

I feel like I need to be in on that party, mostly because normal Sambuca disgusts me with its aniseed flavour. ych
sotic wrote:
Australia is much tougher. Firstly, its illegal to sell alcohol (aside from cooking things) in grocery stores. You can't buy alcohol if you are with someone without their ID on them, or if someone suspects that someone underage is loitering outside who belongs to you (as in you may be buying them alcohol). You can't enter a club or certain bars without an ID, no matter how old you are, and they're usually pretty good about checking ID because the fines for selling to minors are so high not just to the business but also to the individual
Apocalyptus wrote: Nothing can beat the image of mouth muffling breast implants.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

The US varies a lot. The legal drinking age is 21 thanks to Reagen. He couldn't actually get a federal drinking age to stand up, so instead he just pushed to make it a requirement for individual states to make the legal drinking age 21 or they would not get any federal money for highway construction and maintenance.* There are a whole lot of variations on laws outside that, often at the county or city level so things can even vary widely inside states. In some municipalities you can not sell or buy alcohol, in others it is technically illegal to even possess alcohol. Some are just dry because there is a limited number of liquor licenses and those license are also inheritable. So teetotalers bought the licenses after prohibition was lifted and just never actually sold alcohol.

In some places they can't serve mixed drinks. To get around it, if you say order a rum and coke, they give you a glass of coke and a mini of rum to mix in yourself. In some areas you can only order alcohol in restaurants if you get a meal as well, and then you can only order one or two drinks per meal. I've been to other cities where all the bars are required to be 'private clubs.' You can just walk in and buy an annual membership for a few bucks, but in some of those states, you can't actually drink until 24 hours after you bought the membership. Some states you can only buy alcohol at actual liquor stores (no beer and wine at grocery stores). In others you can only buy liquor at state-run shops. If you want to buy liquor as well as beer and/or wine, you'd have to go to two different places. One place I lived, all the stores in the county we were in closed at 8pm, did not open on Sunday and they had to buy everything through the county liquor board which had a limited list of what could be purchased. That last bit caused a big probablem for specialty wine stores. The next county over, the liquor stores stayed open until 11pm, they could only sell beer and wine on Sunday, and they could buy just about anything direct from the distributors. We could also drive into Washington DC (which is what a lot of the wine people did).

*There has been a push to get this repealed. The push has been lead by tourism heavy cities like New Orleans and college administrators who think it would be easier to deal with student drinking issues if it were legal and in the open
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

carbonstealer wrote: its illegal to sell alcohol (aside from cooking things) in grocery stores.
Hmm you know I always thought this was true, but when Aldi opened up in Australia they just had an alcohol section that wasn't any different from, say, the cereal section. Now I think they lock some of the stronger stuff in cabinets, but they still have six packs of mixed drinks out for people to just pick up and put in their trolleys. Maybe it varies by state?
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."