Stilton

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Re: Stilton

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Halloumi is popular in Australia, which is nice. Slightly less expensive than in the US.

No montery jack though, so that's a bummer. I found a Kiwi cheese that's kinda close. Sharp (tasty) cheese isn't really my thing and it's pretty much the norm here.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Haloumi is very popular here, I even found a place that sells it fairly cheap in one kilo buckets. What kind of cheese is Monterey Jack? Is it one of those orange ones I see so much of in pictures of American food, or is that just Velveeta that is orange?
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Apocalyptus wrote:Haloumi is very popular here, I even found a place that sells it fairly cheap in one kilo buckets. What kind of cheese is Monterey Jack? Is it one of those orange ones I see so much of in pictures of American food, or is that just Velveeta that is orange?
It is a white (primarily, anyways) mild cheese that is great for melting.

As for orange cheeses... Cheddar is very often orange. As is just about every fake cheese (Velveeta, such as).

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Apocalyptus wrote:Haloumi is very popular here, I even found a place that sells it fairly cheap in one kilo buckets. What kind of cheese is Monterey Jack? Is it one of those orange ones I see so much of in pictures of American food, or is that just Velveeta that is orange?
I want to find that place.

Lethal is correct about MJ. It is the best cheese for making nachos, and for Tex-Mex food in general.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Monteray Jack is sort of what everyone tells you to use for mexican cooking (which Liri said). The cheese that I get recommended to me by mexican stores around here is Colby. I'm not sure how it compares, but there you go.
King Prawn

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Lethal Interjection wrote:As for orange cheeses... Cheddar is very often orange.
I see. Cheddar is the most common cheese here (a lot of us just call it tasty cheese for some reason) and it is never orange. Actually, the only orange cheese I remember seeing in real life is the 'Old English' cheese at Subway.
Kimra wrote: The cheese that I get recommended to me by mexican stores around here is Colby. I'm not sure how it compares, but there you go.
Isn't Colby just regular cheddar cheese, or do they have a different variety I don't know about? I am always keen to try new cheeses, so I guess I will ask around next time I visit the Mexican grocer near my Mum's house.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I have no idea.

I have taken to buying and eating bocconcini as is (straight out of the tub). I am not sure where this stems from but I know everyone treats me like a leper for it.
King Prawn

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Kimra wrote:I have no idea.

I have taken to buying and eating bocconcini as is (straight out of the tub). I am not sure where this stems from but I know everyone treats me like a leper for it.
I would totally do that if it wasn't so pricey. Hopefully I can indulge my cheese teeth more once I get a regular job.

Colby is similar to MJ - it's often combined with it to make Colby Jack.

Feta cheese here is a lot more tofu-like in consistency, from what I've eaten. What we get in the US (and in Greece) is a lot more crumbly. And saltier, I think, but that might vary more. Tasty-ness is not my favourite. When it comes to general, everyday eating cheeses, I like them mild and meltable.

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote: Colby is similar to MJ - it's often combined with it to make Colby Jack.
Ok, I think I've gotten confused; there's a brand of cheese here called 'Mainland Colby', which is usually cheddar. I haven't come across an actual variety of cheese that's called Colby, although I'll keep an eye out for it.
Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:Feta cheese here is a lot more tofu-like in consistency, from what I've eaten. What we get in the US (and in Greece) is a lot more crumbly. And saltier, I think, but that might vary more.

Have you tried Greek or Bulgarian feta here? There is a huge amount of variation in texture and saltiness between kinds of feta you can buy, even just at supermarket delis. I don't like the texture of Australian feta all that much, I prefer Danish which is creamier and milder.
Kimra wrote:I have taken to buying and eating bocconcini as is (straight out of the tub). I am not sure where this stems from but I know everyone treats me like a leper for it.
Um, that is legitimately the best way to eat bocconcini. There are other nice ways of eating it, but straight out of the tub is the best.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

I did the tub thing. One of my French flatmates got some and she gave me leave to eat a couple. Will check out other feta varieties.

Is "pide" the Australian transliteration of "pita" or is it something else?

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:Is "pide" the Australian transliteration of "pita" or is it something else?
Isn't pita a type of bread pocket that you can put fillings into?

Where as pide is like a doughy pizza with fillings cooked into it?

I get this for pita, and this for pide. Which is how I think of them.
King Prawn

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Kimra wrote:
Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:Is "pide" the Australian transliteration of "pita" or is it something else?

Ah, yep. I thought it might be the same thing since I've seen feta spelled as "fetta".

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Those are two entirely different foods.... How are they the 'same'?

Also you see 'feta' spelled as 'fetta' sometimes because we import food from other countries? I've never seen it spelt with an extra 't' but I wouldn't be shocked.
King Prawn

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Kimra wrote:Those are two entirely different foods.... How are they the 'same'?

Also you see 'feta' spelled as 'fetta' sometimes because we import food from other countries? I've never seen it spelt with an extra 't' but I wouldn't be shocked.
I thought that since feta was spelled more than one way, pita might also be spelled differently. We import plenty of food, but I'd never seen feta with an extra 't'.

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Kimra wrote:

I always thought they were the same thing, but that distinction makes a lot more sense.