Stilton

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Stilton

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

After reading this comic: http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2590 I looked Stilton up, and it sounded pretty good. I'd never been big on blue cheeses, but I was willing to try again since wikipedia said it gave you crazy dreams.

So I went out, picked up some Stilton, and fell in love.

What a cheese.

Having a white Stilton with mango and ginger, along with some Wensleydale with blueberries.

The creaminess, the crumbliness, the way the flavors just spread through the mouth.

Thank you dearly, Zach.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Re: Stilton

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Fuck dreaming
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

I'm a cheese fanatic in a house that won't eat any cheese but cheddar, so it's not often that I get to try out new cheeses. Number one priority when I leave home and have my own accommodation.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Sahan wrote:I'm a cheese fanatic in a house that won't eat any cheese but cheddar, so it's not often that I get to try out new cheeses. Number one priority when I leave home and have my own accommodation.
Bummer. There are a whole lot of cheeses out there.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Any cheese enthusiasts out there who haven't tried haloumi yet, get out there and EAT IT. It's one of the few cheeses with a really high melting point so you can fry it in a pan. Also, lebanese haloumi pastries are the best.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

I'm not a cheese fan but I've had fried haloumi. It tasted very good when it was washed before cooking. In its normal state it is way too salty for me.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

I don't really like cheese in general, but I'm very fond of mozzarella and queso oaxaca. Do you have any recommendations for me? The strongest cheese I enjoy is Pepper Jack, but even then it's mostly the peppers doing the bulk of the deliciousness work.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I have tried a bunch of cheeses in my few years doing a wine and cheese party but none really stood out on their own. Monterey Jack is still probably one of my favourites, as it was before all those parties. I have grown to love some of the softer cheeses like Brie. Sadly I can't be too adventurous because I have a mold allergy.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Lethal Interjection wrote:I have tried a bunch of cheeses in my few years doing a wine and cheese party but none really stood out on their own. Monterey Jack is still probably one of my favourites, as it was before all those parties. I have grown to love some of the softer cheeses like Brie. Sadly I can't be too adventurous because I have a mold allergy.
Even though I'm broadening my cheese horizons, I can always rely on Monterey Jack. Perfect for nachos, on bean burgers, crackers, etc.

A lot of the more exotic cheeses have white (non-moldy) versions that you can try. Try and find some white Stilton's and Wensleydale's with fruit.
Apocalyptus wrote:Any cheese enthusiasts out there who haven't tried haloumi yet, get out there and EAT IT. It's one of the few cheeses with a really high melting point so you can fry it in a pan. Also, lebanese haloumi pastries are the best.
I've eat Mediterranean food a fair bit, so I've probably had it with stuff. I'll attempt to find some next time I'm out.

Sounds similar to Indian paneer which is the simplest cheese there is - I've made it a couple times. All you do is boil a gallon of whole milk, add a bit of vinegar, stir, then pour into a cheese cloth (or any clean cloth) lined strainer until the liquid has drained through. Fold the cloth over the solids (add seasonings now if so desired) and place a weight on top to squeeze the remaining water out. After a few hours, remove the weight, wrap up the cheese, and refrigerate.

In Indian cooking it's always fried in cubes before being added to sauces.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Edminster wrote:I don't really like cheese in general, but I'm very fond of mozzarella and queso oaxaca. Do you have any recommendations for me? The strongest cheese I enjoy is Pepper Jack, but even then it's mostly the peppers doing the bulk of the deliciousness work.
I always suspected there was something wrong with you. But at least you seem to like mild white cheeses and aren't a total cheese hating mutant.

Try Monterrey jack, if you haven't, it is similar in taste to oaxaca, although it doesn't have that stringy texture. You might also like queso blanco and queso fresca (they are more or less the same). They are very milky cheeses. Awesome in omelets or scrambled eggs.

Other cheese similar in flavor characteristics to mozzarella and oaxaca that you might like are muenster, cream or enriched havarti (sharp or regular havarti will be considerably different), butterkase, maybe Edam, probably colby. Can't think of anything else right now.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Kaharz wrote:
Edminster wrote:I don't really like cheese in general, but I'm very fond of mozzarella and queso oaxaca. Do you have any recommendations for me? The strongest cheese I enjoy is Pepper Jack, but even then it's mostly the peppers doing the bulk of the deliciousness work.
I always suspected there was something wrong with you. But at least you seem to like mild white cheeses and aren't a total cheese hating mutant.

Try Monterrey jack, if you haven't, it is similar in taste to oaxaca, although it doesn't have that stringy texture. You might also like queso blanco and queso fresca (they are more or less the same). They are very milky cheeses. Awesome in omelets or scrambled eggs.

Other cheese similar in flavor characteristics to mozzarella and oaxaca that you might like are muenster, cream or enriched havarti (sharp or regular havarti will be considerably different), butterkase, maybe Edam, probably colby. Can't think of anything else right now.
I decidely don't like Edam or Colby. I do love some Muenster though. And Pepper Jack is flavoured Monterey Jack, is it not?

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

If you like mild cheeses Bocconcini is a great one to try. It's very similar to mozzarella and you can have it on pizza, in sandwiches, sliced with tomato and basil or just by itself as a snack.
Oh, Ricotta is also mild and delicious. Great mixed in with pasta sauces, it's also nice to have it on toast with some sliced fruit (usually apple) underneath and cinnamon sprinkled over. My Mum also sometimes makes baked ricotta, her version of which is a mound of ricotta with stuff like pesto, pinenuts and sundried tomato mixed through that is baked in the oven.
Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:Sounds similar to Indian paneer
I adore Paneer, although I haven't gotten around to making it myself yet. However the flavour and texture is quite different to Haloumi. Haloumi is harder and stronger in taste, also very very salty. Also for some reason it squeaks sometimes when you bite down on it.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Lethal Interjection wrote:I decidely don't like Edam or Colby. I do love some Muenster though. And Pepper Jack is flavoured Monterey Jack, is it not?
I'm not a big fan of edam or colby. They just seem kind of bland to me. I don't dislike, they just aren't going to be the cheese I reach for when either is available. And yes, pepper jack is basically just monterey jack with spicy peppers added.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Apocalyptus wrote:
If you like mild cheeses Bocconcini is a great one to try. It's very similar to mozzarella and you can have it on pizza, in sandwiches, sliced with tomato and basil or just by itself as a snack.
Oh, Ricotta is also mild and delicious. Great mixed in with pasta sauces, it's also nice to have it on toast with some sliced fruit (usually apple) underneath and cinnamon sprinkled over. My Mum also sometimes makes baked ricotta, her version of which is a mound of ricotta with stuff like pesto, pinenuts and sundried tomato mixed through that is baked in the oven.
Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:Sounds similar to Indian paneer
I adore Paneer, although I haven't gotten around to making it myself yet. However the flavour and texture is quite different to Haloumi. Haloumi is harder and stronger in taste, also very very salty. Also for some reason it squeaks sometimes when you bite down on it.
I'll have to try Bocconcinin myself, and those ricotta dishes sound great.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Oh god.

A cheese conversation.

God.

Where have I been?!

Haloumi - I only met this three or four years ago, but it is a staple in our fridge. Milk and butter and Haloumi. All of lifes essentials. DR, Haloumi is best served with lemon juice on it. It neutralises the saltiness.

On the mild cheese front, for Ed, I also recommend Havarti. And if you like a bit of sweetness you have it on crackers with a fig paste. Hmm havarti. Also, there are a lot of cream cheeses (and other extremely mild cheeses) with flavours, like pepper cheese (cracked pepper) which is effectively a solid cream cheese with pepper. You can get more exotic ones like that with apricot and walnuts, or chives, or... pretty much anything. My personal recommendation is the chives.

I am a cheese lover. I can sit down with a plate of cheese and eat it. But not just cheddar or a 'tasty' cheese. I include cheddar, but that's boring. I'm trying to save money right now, so my cheeses have taken a hit. But even right now, in money scrimping mode, I have at least ten types of cheese in there. Some Camembert, chive-cream cheese, Harvati, Jalsberg (how has no-one talked about Jalsberg?), Gouda, Brie, Boccancini, some herb soaked feta, and then the normal 'cooking' cheeses which I wont bother naming. I am currently out of Haloumi, because I ate all the squeaky goodness a couple days ago and haven't replaced it yet.

Cheese: God's way of telling me I should stay fat. I agree with you good sir, I agree.
King Prawn