LR's MOVIE OF THE NOW

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Re: LR's MOVIE OF THE NOW

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Whoa. I just realized I've never been to see a movie in theatres by myself.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

How else can you guarantee good company?
King Prawn

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Off the top of my head I've seen:
Superman (Brandon Routh) - This was almost entirely based on having a day off and nearly-expired free movie pass*.
Clerks 2 - At the climax of my Smith fandom. But I didn't have anyone else who had enough interest to drag them along.
Riddick - I had only one friend who was mildly interested who I couldn't get to see it opening week as I really wanted to (I wanted to support it so that we'd get more of the series).
Mad Max - I almost set up a man-date with a friends husband who I had never met. Schedules didn't work out so I saw it alone.
X-Men Apocalypse - This time it was based on relishing the opportunity and not really wanting to have to try coordinating schedules with folks who have more real-life responsibilities.

There is a 7 year gap between Clerks 2 and Riddick. For two reasons:
1. I had a number of friends who were unencumbered by jobs and family. Between them I could find someone who was interested.
2. A lot of my more out-there cinematic interests tended to fall outside of the scope of what could be found in a local cinema.
Really I made those connections a few months ago because I realized it had been a very long time since I blind-bought a DVD.

*Nearly expired free movie passes are also the reason my sister and I saw Rat Race in theatres. We picked the most agreeable of the poor lot of movies available. It wasn't a letdown. It's not a great movie but I still have a soft spot for it.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Zootopia -- Cute! Would watch again.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens -- I was worried it had been over hyped, but it was really fun. They did a good job.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

I used to go by myself when I worked nights. Everyone else I knew was at work and there wasn't whole lot to do since I was younger and didn't have a lot of responsibilities. Plus the theaters would be mostly empty, which is nice. I just had to go to movies that weren't appropriate for small children.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Anyone here on Letterboxd? It's a social-network movie app/site. Good for tracking, reviewing, journaling or other aggregating.
I was looking for a way to log movies I want to watch, and asked a similar-minded friend what he used. Basically it's like a newer/better version of Flixster which I used 5+ years back for essentially the same thing.
Apparently the site is respected enough that it's sometimes used to scout for reviewers. And since most of the 500 or so reviews I put on Flixster were close to a tweet-length I intend on copying my Flixster reviews over and hoping I might get noticed.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Oh right, new Star Trek was shit. I hadn't seen any previews or read any reviews. Probably should have. If they have to go through a new ship each movie something is very wrong. Was there a plot? I'm not sure. I think there's a distinct difference between campy and cringe-worthy. The actors themselves aren't even that bad, but they were given a pretty crappy screenplay. There was this nerd sitting next to me at the theater laughing his tush off the whole time. Jeez.

steady

Post by steady »

la la land, anyone already watched?

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Journey to the West (Conquering the Demons) 2013* -- I'm kind of impressed how a movie can be that silly and that scary/creepy at the same time. You wouldn't think it could work but it did. Overall I liked it. would recommend if you like old Chinese legends scary/creepy demons and monty python type humour.

*Being really specific because there's so many Journey to the West adaptations out there, especially Chinese adaptations.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

smiley_cow wrote:Journey to the West (Conquering the Demons) 2013* -- I'm kind of impressed how a movie can be that silly and that scary/creepy at the same time. You wouldn't think it could work but it did. Overall I liked it. would recommend if you like old Chinese legends scary/creepy demons and monty python type humour.

*Being really specific because there's so many Journey to the West adaptations out there, especially Chinese adaptations.
I watched and liked the one with the guy from Iron Chef (the one who bites into a capsicum at the start). He played a silver demon.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Apocalyptus wrote:a capsicum
This was the weirdest thing about Australia

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:Oh right, new Star Trek was shit. I hadn't seen any previews or read any reviews. Probably should have. If they have to go through a new ship each movie something is very wrong. Was there a plot? I'm not sure. I think there's a distinct difference between campy and cringe-worthy. The actors themselves aren't even that bad, but they were given a pretty crappy screenplay. There was this nerd sitting next to me at the theater laughing his tush off the whole time. Jeez.
This is so old but I just saw the new Star Trek movie really recently. I think the big issue is that the main conflict had like nothing to do with anything, like it had no point to it and it didn't connect with what was going on internally with Kirk and it made the entire movie really boring. Like this is screenwriting 101. Still hated it less than Into Darkness though.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:
But it's the scientific name! And less weird than calling the main course the 'entrée'.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Apocalyptus wrote:
Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:
But it's the scientific name! And less weird than calling the main course the 'entrée'.
It's the scientific name for all peppers - the spicy *and* the sweet, though. That's the real issue. And capsaicin, itself, is the spicy molecule that lends its name to the genus, yet you call the sweet ones by that name.

Not gonna contest the entrée thing. I dunno why we do that.

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

I watched the Top Guns.

They weren't kidding about the level of the guns: they are definitely the toppest ones. It should have been called either the Tom Gun (2022) or C*R*U*I*S*E (Missile)
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...