MAI FAVRIT MOVY YEH

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Re: MAI FAVRIT MOVY YEH

Post by Kimra »

smiley_cow wrote:I watched Persepolis today and adored it, it was silly and serious at the same time, and just all around well done. Has anyone else seen it? I've been told there's also a comic that might be worth reading. Anyone read that who might say if it's worth reading too?
Haven't seen it but have been interested in it for a while. Will have to see if my skezze little video store has it (since, as previously mentioned, I have a tiny little cinema and it doesn't like anything that might pass as 'art').

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
staring Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer
Four Stars - I know I'll like the movie the more I see it and I really liked it as it was. Val Kilmer's character was brilliant, and I loved the little spices of detective cliches. It was a great movie. Avoid it if you don't like swearing. :D
King Prawn

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Kimra wrote: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
staring Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer
Four Stars - I know I'll like the movie the more I see it and I really liked it as it was. Val Kilmer's character was brilliant, and I loved the little spices of detective cliches. It was a great movie. Avoid it if you don't like swearing. :D
Agreed on several fronts. Except I'd probably give it 4.5 out of 5 (I think that is what I gave it on Flickster). I was drawn in because the premise looked interesting, I was loving RDJ's reinstatement as a credible actor (this is pre-Ironman for those unaware), and I have always enjoyed Kilmer (well, mostly, he is a great actor and has had some great work, but he's also had some real shite). So me and some friends rented it. All four of us liked it enough to buy it, and that is saying something, as our tastes vary somewhat. And while I loved it the first time, subsequent times have made me love it all the more. Great, great movie. And the Abe Lincoln part and the narration was hilarious (I don't think I need to spoiler that, as the former you won't get until you watch the movie anyways, and the latter is a general enough observation). Some of the funniest stuff that I've ever seen from a movie that isn't a flat-out comedy.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Kimra wrote:
smiley_cow wrote:I watched Persepolis today and adored it, it was silly and serious at the same time, and just all around well done. Has anyone else seen it? I've been told there's also a comic that might be worth reading. Anyone read that who might say if it's worth reading too?
Haven't seen it but have been interested in it for a while. Will have to see if my skezze little video store has it (since, as previously mentioned, I have a tiny little cinema and it doesn't like anything that might pass as 'art').
We have the same problem here, the video rental stores here are pretty much guaranteed to have the newest stupid teen movie, but heaven forbid you're looking for anything foreign, independent or worst of all... Canadian. I had to borrow Persepolis from the public library.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

slimredninja

Post by slimredninja »

Have any of you seen District 9? That shit was fantastic. Also the new Green lantern movie rocks. I'm not even a huge GL fan but that movie was awesome.
MORNING SQUIRTZ COMICS OUR SHIT JUST COMES OUT FUNNY [urlhttp://www.morningsquirtz.com/[/url]

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

District 9 was indeed fantastic, as Smiley and I can attest. Also, the only Green Lantern movie coming up in a 30 second Google search is still in pre-production, I can only conclude that you are in fact a time traveler from the year 2185 who was given a surprisingly detailed cover story that only lapses in the production dates of movies.

I'm on to you, Kroxnor.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

Not the Live action thing, the cartoon releases whenever a super hero movie is made. They used to have trouble releasing these things. For example, remember the Hunch Back of Notre Dame? Well my mom got the non-disney release.
Don't even get me started on the Mighty Ducks.

National Treasure was a ton more fun that the concept should be, especially when you factor in my apparent inherent hatred for America and freedom.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

slimredninja

Post by slimredninja »

Edminster wrote:District 9 was indeed fantastic, as Smiley and I can attest. Also, the only Green Lantern movie coming up in a 30 second Google search is still in pre-production, I can only conclude that you are in fact a time traveler from the year 2185 who was given a surprisingly detailed cover story that only lapses in the production dates of movies.

I'm on to you, Kroxnor.
The new animated movie was what I was talking about. But I also saw the live action movie when I was in the future which you could have only known if you to were from the future!
MORNING SQUIRTZ COMICS OUR SHIT JUST COMES OUT FUNNY [urlhttp://www.morningsquirtz.com/[/url]

GreenCrayon
Traditional Iconoclast

Post by GreenCrayon »

So, I actually got curious about the Green Lantern animated movie, and went ahead and watched it.

Green Lantern: First Flight
Starring Christopher Meloni and Victor Garber (...um, who? On both counts.)
Though I once loved the DC animated universe (DCAU), I've been a bit let down by some of the more recent offerings (take Justice League: The New Frontier for instance... a film with no soul to call its own). Setting aside my prejudices (if Kevin Conroy ain't growling it ain't Batman!), I approached this one with trepidation. And, it's not so bad. I'm giving it Three and a Half Stars, and you can pop yourself another half a star on there if you were already predisposed towards liking the subject matter (i.e. a not-so-mainstream superhero with the power to use a ring to create green constructs nearly as huge and powerful as his ego). As usual, I enjoyed things much more before they got too epic, and I felt the third act was an inevitable dive into anime-inspired conflict. I did, however, enjoy the character interaction, and I liked that the more complicated characters' motives were maleable to suit the progression of the story (I mean, they weren't "I'm a bad guy! Black and white! Raaar!"). When I say complicated characters, I'm not talking about Hal Jordan (the eponymous Green Lantern on his first day at kindergarten) who was, regretfully, given all the backstory one might invest in the Monopoly top hat, and that includes the little story you make up about it using a shiv as its new "Get Out of Jail Free" card. Voice acting was good in the majority, Ganthet sounded like he was making fun of his own character, Chip the Lovable Squirrel (oh, how I wish I had made that up) was standard "kids might watch it, let's make a cutey character!" fare. Animation was okay, CGI was, as always, too obvious and didn't fit with the animation style. Crayon was, as usual, a little too critical of the details. :wink:
Pirate.

slimredninja

Post by slimredninja »

I applaud it for not being overly kiddie it had lots of swearing and some cool cartoon deaths complete with blood.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

GreenCrayon wrote:that includes the little story you make up about it using a shiv as its new "Get Out of Jail Free" card.
HOW DID YOU KNOW THIS‽
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Rainbow
*~t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m~*

Post by Rainbow »

Awesome post count, Ed.
AHMETxROCK wrote:This is not quoteworthy.

GreenCrayon
Traditional Iconoclast

Post by GreenCrayon »

Edminster wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out where you found this symbol.
Pirate.

Rainbow
*~t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m~*

Post by Rainbow »

Every time I see it I think there is a mark on my screen and I try to scratch it off for ten minutes.
AHMETxROCK wrote:This is not quoteworthy.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Last time I said anything about that symbol I linked to an Italian Soap Opera. Needless to say I can't pronounce it or spell it but I love it none-the-less.
King Prawn

GreenCrayon
Traditional Iconoclast

Post by GreenCrayon »

Since it's apparently less effort for me to write something for about 15 minutes than to look through previous posts, I assume you linked to an Italian soap opera because they make copious use of the symbol within their scripts. And I got to wondering why that would be.

So, I indulged myself, and wrote a scene from an Italian soap opera (as proof of concept) that I'll share with you now.

[ Scene: Federico's apartment. Federico is standing in an open-plan kitchen area, wearing an apron, moving his hands around by a counter. Armando, dressed in leather jacket, walks in. ]

Armando: Oh, uh, hey Federico.

Federico: Hey, Armando! What's new?

Armando: Yeah... um, I slept with your wife.

Federico: What

Armando: Sorry about that.

Federico: Mamma mia*, how could you do this to me‽

Armando: Well, this is a soap opera, and we're Italian, so it was pretty inevitable.

Federico: So, you were just playing to stereotypes‽

Armando: Kinda, yeah.

Federico: You suck, man.

Armando: Hey, I wasn't the one making pizza.

[ Federico looks at what he's doing. ]

Federico: What's wrong with pizza‽

Armando: Nothin', man... just, isn't a bit stereotyped?

Federico: Hey, while pizza may well be of Italian origin, it's accepted as a staple of diets the world over, these days. The states have pretty much claimed it as their own, but even places like Brazil and India are being won over to the convenience and deliciousness of pizza.

Armando: Are you getting all your facts from Wikipedia again‽

Federico: Muh... maybe‽

Armando: You disgust me!

Federico: Why‽

Armando: Can't you research things yourself for once‽

Federico: Hey, why are you mad at me‽ And... and wasn't I angry with you a moment ago‽

Armando: I don't think so.

Federico: Oh... okay.

Armando: Yeah, since that tragic motorcycle accident, you have the worst short-term memory.

Federico: What motorcycle accident‽

[ Gino bursts in. ]

Gino: Armando‽ Your long lost brother has come out of his coma, and is trying to marry your girlfriend!

Armando: Mamma mia*!

[ Cut to commercial. ]

*Authentic!
Pirate.