Ideas for a book or movie that hasn't been made yet

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Re: Ideas for a book or movie that hasn't been made yet

Post by Lethal Interjection »

LordRetard wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote:Also, self awarded megapoints (0.000209) for my awesome quoting.
I think you should be taken to the megapoint courts for this gratuitous display.
I only gave myself some because it was a little bit of work just so I didn't double (or quadruple) post. I think they were deserved.

Also, my copy of the book, which I just checked said, "What do you get when you multiply six by seven." So there.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Ha! The truth prevails, as it tends to do occasionally.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

mountainmage wrote:Ha! The truth prevails, as it tends to do occasionally.
Well, not necessarily. The books aren't the original source. We should probably go back to the original radio show for the final say.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Even though the Radio show was probably awesome, and first, I still consider it to be a rough draft of the books.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

mountainmage wrote:Even though the Radio show was probably awesome, and first, I still consider it to be a rough draft of the books.
I somewhat agree. The books have a permanence and accessibility that the radio show does not, even though the show came first. So, while I am interested in the shows as the original ideas of Adams, I do have the opinion that the books drew them together better, and with more cohesiveness than the radio shows did.
Granted, that's without having listened to any of the radio show.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

For me I just heard the radio-show first, so that's what stuck in my mind when I think of of HHGTTG. Had I read the books first it may have been the other way around.

Also wikipedia tells me six by nine, which is important because in 6x9=42 in base13. Now I'm not saying your book is wrong, I'm just strongly insinuating it.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Let me look in my copy, too. I highly doubt the book is wrong.

"'All right,' said Benjy. ' What do you get if you multiply six by seven?'"
135728.jpg
Incontrovertible I say!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

That was obviously shooped. We all know how good he is at that.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

I wish I was that good.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Well this is odd. But I hear six by nine almost everywhere, not just on wikipedia, and there's the quote by Douglas Adams, making me think it's probably not just some editor's mistake.

Interestingly enough, Urban Dictionary has both.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Rainbow
*~t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m~*

Post by Rainbow »

WRONGNESS ALERT. That is speculating about the question right there, Lethal, while the real question is in the last book. The part you looked up is many books earlier and is just a scene of the mice speculating what to tell people the question is. They eventually decide on "how many paths must a man walk down?" The actual question comes from Arthur's Scrabble set, and Arthur and Ford decide there is just something wrong with the universe and give up. BAM, I didn't even look that shit up, I'm so good.
AHMETxROCK wrote:This is not quoteworthy.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Too lazy to bother scanning, but I'm looking at my copy of the book right now (Restaurant at the End of the Universe) and it's definitely "what do you get if you multiply six by nine." At the end of chapter 33.

"You mean that's it?" said Ford.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Interesting. I never realized that it was 6x9 with the scrabble set. I guess I just never read it carefully enough.
The problem is that I never assumed that the scrabble set was an actual incidence of them finding the question, but another instance of extreme improbability (drawing out the proper letters and all). I've always felt that the actual question had something to do with the final chapter of Mostly Harmless, where the address for Stavro Mula Beta was 42. Though I've never been able to work anything out from that. And didn't Fenchurch know the answer? Or was that just some other grand revelation.
Either way, I never actually figured that the scrabble set question was the right one.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

I see. Well, I did say it's been a while since I've read any of them.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Meh. I haven't read any of them, and I knew the answer(question). I'm not as awesome as Rainbow, I admit. But that TV show (not the movie) was pretty comprehensive on the big quotable moments.

Also: Boo yah!
text.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
King Prawn