Transformers 2

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Phoenix
Easily burned, but always comes back for more

Transformers 2

Post by Phoenix »

I finally saw it today, and I disagree with the critics. IT WAS AWESOME!!! Anyone else seen it? If so, thoughts?

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Re: Transformers 2

Post by mountainmage »

I didn't even know it was out yet. I've been seeing Burger King commercials but not movie previews.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

it's been out for a few weeks.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

I have decided not to see it based on the fact that it's two in a half hours long. I have a long standing bias against very long movies, sometimes you just need that time to fit in the entire story, but way to often they stretch it out so they can add more special effects/action scenes, and it's dull as dirt. Sometimes it's legitimate and I don't bother anyways, to this day I have yet to see the last two Lord of the Rings movies.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

I watched it as a chance to catch up with friends. I knew very little about Transformers prior to the movie, and it didn't matter at all as a friend had told me, because there really isn't any plot to worry about. Good CGI, but I got a headache at the end of the movie after trying to watch and comprehend all the high speed action scenes, where the lethality of all the weapons used seemed to vary according to the director's whim. Otherwise, it was an okay movie, but I wouldn't rate it very highly.

I've also yet to watch all of the LotR films. I've watched the beginning of the first movie, then I read the book and watched The Two Towers afterwards. Also I watched more than half of the third movie before all of that, so I had no idea what I was watching at the time, save for Gollum, Sam and Frodo encoraching towards Mordor and frightening flying creatures and occasional cut scenes involving some female elf. I eventually walked out from exhaustion and complete incomprehension.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

What's wrong with stretching a movie to add more action scenes (which you would probably classify this movie as having done)?? More bang for your buck! (puns ftw) IMO there's nothing wrong with adding more, as long as it's interesting (which this most certainly was). One of my major complaints is that movies too often cut action sequences short to shorten a movie, when all I really want is MORE BANG!

'fraid I'm gonna hafta disagree with you, but I still respect your opinion :P

Sahan, which part seemed like the lethality of weapons varied on the director's whim? It seemed pretty straightforward and consistent to me...

*EDIT* also, having watched both movies, I'm extremely glad that they minimalized the human actors' parts in this one compared to the first movie. I go to see a transformers movie for the fighting robots, NOT for the actors themselves. Quite refreshing, I must say. Note that i mean the 2 main actors, boy and girl - the military was VERY cool.

Avalant
Ahmet's sex life

Post by Avalant »

Shoe and I saw it in IMAX, we both enjoyed it. Good popcorn flick.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

As something something Hitchcock said, movies should be timed by how long it takes for you to need to piss. He said something like that.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Sahan wrote:I watched it as a chance to catch up with friends. I knew very little about Transformers prior to the movie, and it didn't matter at all as a friend had told me, because there really isn't any plot to worry about. Good CGI, but I got a headache at the end of the movie after trying to watch and comprehend all the high speed action scenes, where the lethality of all the weapons used seemed to vary according to the director's whim. Otherwise, it was an okay movie, but I wouldn't rate it very highly.
I agree with you here. Sometimes heavily CGIed movies like Transformers are actually best left to the small screen. Because the quick moving graphics can be difficult to get good comprehension of, because your field of vision doesn't encompass the entire screen.

That said, I had less of a problem, in this regard, with Transformers 2 (as compared to the first one). I liked the sequel better. Really any robots but Prime were pretty useless (well, the baddies weren't but Prime needed someone to fight). Neither had good acting, and the plots were mediocre, but when it comes to action, which is why I see a movie like that, the second was better.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Phoenix wrote:What's wrong with stretching a movie to add more action scenes (which you would probably classify this movie as having done)?? More bang for your buck! (puns ftw) IMO there's nothing wrong with adding more, as long as it's interesting (which this most certainly was). One of my major complaints is that movies too often cut action sequences short to shorten a movie, when all I really want is MORE BANG!

'fraid I'm gonna hafta disagree with you, but I still respect your opinion :P
If you're watching a movie for the action, more action scenes would definitely be a plus, but I personally tend to lose interest if there are too many. It's alright, I fully understand I'm the odd one out. A lot of people (most of my family and friends actually) think that some of my favourite movies, which rarely have any action scenes at all*, are incredibly boring, so it really just comes down to having different tastes.

Not to say I'm don't like action, sometimes it really adds to a movie, I'm just not there for the action, and if it's most of the movie, then I usually get bored.
LordRetard wrote:movies should be timed by how long it takes for you to need to piss.
I've never heard that before, but I like it.

*There are some notable exceptions of course
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

freako104

Post by freako104 »

I enjoyed it. Then again I do think Meghan Fox is really hot and I was a fan of the show. That is why I enjoyed both of them.
This isn't really happening!
Spreading the madness of Cthulhu. One mind at a time. Starting with my own

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Someone who's opinion I trust absolutly said: In ten years time, if 'Transformers 2' and 'Dancing with the Stars' are on TV at the same time, watch 'Transformers 2' but only during 'Dancing with the Stars' add breaks.

I feel disinclined to watch it now.
King Prawn

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

When it comes to movie opinions, I only trust those with which I agree with.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I recently trusted my friend who told me Twilight was a great book. I learnt from that experience.

My brother (who gave me his review on Transformers 2) is someone who I wont second question when it comes to movies.
mountainmage wrote:When it comes to movie opinions, I only trust those with which I agree with.
Yourself?
King Prawn

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

mountainmage wrote:When it comes to movie opinions, I only trust those with which I agree with.
I mostly hate movie reviewers. The only one I will occasionally read is Ebert. I don't always agree with him, but of the people I've read multiple reviews from, his tends to be closest to my opinion.

Most people trust my reviews, though. Which is nice. I even had a friend from gradeschool (who I have on Facebook) who I hadn't seen in over a decade tell me that he reads most of my Flixster reviews and pretty much agrees with me every time.