The Ting Tings Rule

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Re: The Ting Tings Rule

Post by AHMETxRock »

Is there an official spelling of slang? I thought them folks couldn't read or write.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Are you talking about black people? Because that's racist, Ahmet. I don't know why you'd even say that.

Euclidthegreek
Fisty McGee

Post by Euclidthegreek »

Well you have to differentiate it from other words. I know about the whole misogyny thing, but it seems a bit extreme to use your woman to turn the soil in your fields. Ho≄Hoe

When you have words with wh, you only pronounce one of the letters (except for some old dudes who say "what" like "hwat"). Why is "why" pronounced "wai", when "who" is pronounced "hoo"?
Edminster wrote:I'm starting to think Euclid lives in the past.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Euclidthegreek wrote:Well you have to differentiate it from other words. I know about the whole misogyny thing, but it seems a bit extreme to use your woman to turn the soil in your fields. Ho≄Hoe
Except you can't differentiate them at all when spoken. This is called a homophone. We also have homographs and homonyms which are spelt the same in spite of different meaning.
Euclidthegreek wrote:When you have words with wh, you only pronounce one of the letters (except for some old dudes who say "what" like "hwat"). Why is "why" pronounced "wai", when "who" is pronounced "hoo"?
That's actually a voiceless labiovelar fricative, as opposed to the voiced labiovelar approximant that we are used to hearing. The sound is present in Received Pronunciation still.

As for why vs. who, they come from Old English hwy and hwa, and both of them would be pronounced with the "old dude hw". Avoiding the vowel movement (which is generally a good idea, because it doesn't make any sense) we find that in "why", the labiovelar sound has become voiced (which is a process that has recently reoccurred cf. GA "what", which has moved away from RP "what"), whereas in "who", the sound is pronounced using the same glottal states however it is no longer articulated in the oral cavity, meaning that it is acting as a voiceless vowel. This isn't that strange for an approximant since there is barely any constriction in an approximant, and phonetically it is almost like a vowel. So they basically moved in different directions. Now, as for why this happens; I don't really know. That's a much more complicated question anyway.

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

It is extreme to use your woman to turn the soil in our fields. That is why we are called Muslim extremists.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Euclidthegreek
Fisty McGee

Post by Euclidthegreek »

But aren't your women put to better use fulfilling your every sexual wish, making your food, doing your laundry, producing children, and being obedient? I would imagine using them as farm tools would go through them fairly quickly.
Edminster wrote:I'm starting to think Euclid lives in the past.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

That's why muslims become suicide bombers.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

And are rewarded with the 72 virgins, so lifetime issues become a thing of the past.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?