What are you watching right now?

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Re: What are you watching right now?

Post by Kaharz »

This commercial is wrong, they should have been bleeding water dyed blue if previous commercials for pads and tampons have taught us correctly.

Joking aside, I wish they hadn't shown ballerina feet for my own comfort. That is horrific. The only thing I can think of that is worse when it comes to sports is the ones where brain damage is likely. I know there are some other gruesome injuries in other sports, but what happens to the feet if ballerinas is pretty much garaunteed.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Best menstruation-related commercial.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Good commercial.

I started watching The Fall on Netflix because I saw it had A+ reviews and because Gillian Anderson is the lead. Scully 2.0 is a British Detective Superintendent sent to Belfast to review their police department and investigate the murder of a young woman. It's a British crime show PLUS Scully with a darn good English accent so I'm pleased as a pickle. The other main character, the murderer, is the guy who played the guy in the sexy movie with the bondage based on the book. I've only watched the first four episodes so far. I'm trying not to dash through it.

One of my neighbors is from Belfast herself and I've always wanted to ask her what it was like living there during The Troubles. She's probably around 70 now and I know she's lived in the US for at least the past 20 or so years, but she was there for a fair bit of it. It is a grimly fascinating part of history.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

I have started watching Sherlock. In comparison to Elementary it is extremely bizarre.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

I haven't really watched Elementary, what do you find are the differences between the shows?
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I got a few episodes into Elementary. Main difference I noticed was they made John/Joan more useless. John is a woman now, can't let her be an ex-army surgeon who survived trauma. Nooooo that'd be too much like character. Women don't have character. *grumbles in a corner about sexism in all it's subtle shades*

(I'm told it got better, but this is like making Sherlock not a consulting detective, what the hell guys?)
King Prawn

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Kimra wrote:I got a few episodes into Elementary. Main difference I noticed was they made John/Joan more useless. John is a woman now, can't let her be an ex-army surgeon who survived trauma. Nooooo that'd be too much like character. Women don't have character. *grumbles in a corner about sexism in all it's subtle shades*

(I'm told it got better, but this is like making Sherlock not a consulting detective, what the hell guys?)
She goes to solve cases on her own later though.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Apocalyptus wrote:I haven't really watched Elementary, what do you find are the differences between the shows?
Elementary is more diverse. Joan Watson is an Asian-American woman, Moriarty is a woman, Ms. Hudson is a trans woman (but only shows up rarely / is not the landlady).

Sherlock's addiction is central.

His problem-solving skills are extraordinary, but not totally over-the-top. He brags and insults less than the Sherlock in Sherlock. He doesn't make Watson bring him pens or such nonsense and he would notice if she were not in the room. It doesn't come up, but this Sherlock presumably knows that the Earth turns around the sun. He has a pet turtle. He also has no social skills, but a little less extreme than Sherlock's Sherlock.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

I've tried Elementary a few times. I want to like it. The original stories were some of the first non-children's books I read and the only thing both I and my Dad read. And while my mom was never a Holmes fan, she is a huge mystery (as a genre and the TV series) fan. So that was one of the things we all bonded over. But I just can't. And my only real problem is with the Sherlock character. Liu is one of my favorite non-traditional takes on Watson. But Watson was also my least favorite part of the Doyle stories. I think a big part of it is how central his addiction problems are. He also seems more Dr. House anti-social than Sherlock Holmes anti-social.* And I liked House, but not as Holmes. I think the addiction thing may be part of the reason he comes off as a House rip off to me.

My favorite reinterpretation of Holmes is definitely the recent Sherlock series, although I wasn't super keen on the 3rd series. I thought it was mediocre as a show and maybe less than mediocre as a Holmes story. Brett is and will probably always be my favorite 'true' Holmes adaptation. Bit I have a significant childhood bias there.

*The distinction I make is House was anti-social because he was basically a sociopath, or a true anti-social personality. While Holmes was more autism spectrum and an asocial personality. Holmes was a dick because he didn't know better. House was a dick because he didn't give a fuck. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is how I always viewed the two characters.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

In Elementary Holmes later gets an autistic girlfriend and it is implied that he is on the spectrum, too.

I have finished watching Sherlock. I'm watching Dr Who now.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Astrogirl wrote:I'm watching Dr Who now.
Now I'm no nerd but... which Dr Who? Are you watching original or new Dr Who? Because if it's original: this may take a while.
King Prawn

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

new

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Have you ever watched Doctor Who before? Which part are you up to?
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

I randomly came across one Dr Who episode on TV two years back or so, they were on a planet that was kind of like Wild West or something, and I think there were daleks.

Currently I have watched (new) season 1 and 2 and the interlude and first two episodes of season 3. I watch it together with someone I know from tumblr, she lives in the US so we watch it in her morning / my afternoon.