What are you watching right now?

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Re: What are you watching right now?

Post by Kaharz »

Eh, we like what we like. I don't know why. And I don't think she is a particularly good actress or anything like that.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

I get it. She's got a similar vibe to Winona Ryder.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

steady

Post by steady »

right now I'm watching agents od the shield

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

Finally started watching the Man in the High Castle. I'm going to have to reread it now, so much Dick from the 60s just blends together.* From what I've been told and the little I've seen it probably doesn't follow the book all that closely. But it so far seems like a good show.

*I think I have read just about everything available except the VALIS trilogy. There is even. A bunch of his early short stories on published in defunct sci-fi magazines that is public domain. I have pretty mixed feelings and much prefer his later work, so I should probably read VALIS.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

Ooh, I've watched the first episode of series 2, but am going to wait to finish out the series, as a.) so much time has passed since the first series, I couldn't remember why so-and-so was on a boat, and who'd died etc., and b.) I have to finish Westworld first (one more episode to go).

For what it's worth, tMitHC stays very loyal to the book at its core. It's just that in the book... not much really happens. Or at least, not enough to fill 10 hours of streaming content. Sure, the majority of the book is philosophising on the nature of oppression; how the delicate threads of any society still hold together under competing jackboots; how culture can never truly be destroyed, only hidden behind doors. The TV show, obviously, doesn't just film the characters thinking this internally, so it does a lot of showing, rather than telling, which is what good TV does. It also focuses on the cat-and-mouse action of evading the established order with impressive dystopian Americana mise-en-scène, which is standard for Hollywood-budget TV fare nowadays. Also the chap who plays Childan is famous in the UK for advertising the now-defunct Orange Wednesdays, and he's dead good as the pompous obsequious antiques dealer.

It deals with The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, the fictional 'what if?' account of the allies winning the war, by translating it from a book to a series of newsreels, which is much better suited to television than characters reading short passages from books. I worry they might write themselves into a corner with this angle, LOST-style, as the newsreels start to show more than just Churchill raising two fingers, but it's enthralling enough TV to keep me watching.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

I wouldn't fault anyone for taking considerable liberties when trying to adapt a PKD book as long as they stick to the central theme and ideas. A lot of his actual writing is problematic in various ways, especially his novels. Once he got some experience and stopped taking fistfuls of drugs his writing became considerably more coherent.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Yes, one thing I always noticed about PKD's books is he kept on giving his 20s to middle aged male protagonists teenaged female love interests.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Giving his 20s?
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

"he kept on giving his 20s to middle aged male protagonists teenaged female love interests."

can alternately be stated

Philip K Dick's main characters were often men between the ages of 20 and 50, and he wrote teenage girls as love interests for them.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Ah!
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Edminster wrote:"he kept on giving his 20s to middle aged male protagonists teenaged female love interests."

can alternately be stated

Philip K Dick's main characters were often men between the ages of 20 and 50, and he wrote teenage girls as love interests for them.
Yes, that does make more sense than my rambling sentence. Thanks, Edie!
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

DavidGreen

Post by DavidGreen »

Maybe I'm a little behind, but I just started to look at the Game of Thrones. And before that I thought that it was a sloppy series and everyone who watched it - losers)))
Good always defeats evil

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Ok

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

If you haven't watched Ozark, do so. I haven't been as impressed with a show in at least 5 years.