What games are you playing right now?

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Re: What games are you playing right now?

Post by Felstaff »

Cluck Peck Crow
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Sahan wrote:So what is it called now if I want to play Tic Tac Toe with a chicken?
Loneliness?

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Sahan wrote:So what is it called now if I want to play Tic Tac Toe with a chicken?
A quiet night in with the missus.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Edminster wrote:
A quiet night in with the missus.
Dammit. You win.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Pokemon Go:
Honestly, I don't think there is anything negative I have to say about this game.
I've only had it for about 24 hours (released in Canadia yesterday sometime) and have only really gone out and actually played* the game for about 20-30 minutes this afternoon.
I'm not saying it's the best of games, but that I love what the game represents on many levels.

The only two points against the game I've heard thusfar are:
1.) Things like "I'm an adult", "How immature" or other things of that nature. To which I say, "Fine, don't play." But have enough respect to allow others to muck about with the game. A lot of people like it because it's based on a game they grew up with, and a lot of people like it because it's a type of game that is fresh and new (augmented reality). Haters gonna hate.
2.) "People are getting in the way and/or hurting themselves because they aren't aware of what's around them". Do you really think that it's this game that's responsible for that? Isn't that more-or-less what we've been doing for years as we've become increasingly tethered to our electronic devices? Isn't Pokemon Go kind of prompting us to go out and become more aware of what is around us in real life? I think the various positives of getting to know what's in the community will far-trump whatever pitfalls people might succumb to. Of course there is the people who are either acting criminally because of the game (trespassing and such) and those who are benefiting criminally (mugging and such). Really those victims are lacking a level of common sense which I hope will become more clear to them.

The positives, as I see them:
1) Getting outside, into your neighbourhood. It brings to attention local places/landmarks which you might otherwise be unaware. Not a great example (a personal experience, though), but I learned that there was a child-graveyard not too far from my workplace. I wouldn't want to collect pokeballs there but I wouldn't be aware of its existence otherwise. A better example would be a small park on a corner fairly near my home that is tucked away behind some greenery. I've passed the park a few times, but the sign it bears faces away from my direction of travel.
2) Exercise. It's cheaper and has a more tangible goal than a fit-bit or similar things. I made my first game-related trek this afternoon. My intentions were to round the block, hitting two pokestops and maybe a gym if I got to level-5. I ended up lengthening my route twice as I realized that two stops were only short detours but they ended up nearly doubling my trek (and both were advantageous, game-wise). This is obviously a good thing for me, never-mind the sedentary masses.
3) Community. Now, I'd heard several good things about the community aspect before I'd even gotten involved. But they were only made more clear when just this afternoon/evening I've exponentially increased my personal interaction with my neighbours. People I assuredly wouldn't have had more than a polite greeting with prior (forgive my WASPy nature, but they are a pretty trashy sort), I've now had more than one conversation with. Restricted to the game, sure. But that's something.
4) Marketing. As weird as it is to say, there is nothing about the marketing opportunities (that I've heard, anyways) this game has that isn't, in my mind, very much acceptable. Apparently some parts of Asia are going to have Pokemon-GO marketing tie-ins with McDonalds. I think that's not only smart business, but an idea I can get behind even with McDonalds being a huge MNC. Locally, though, it's even better. Whether it's a local franchise of a larger chain, a mom-and-pop type store, or a non-profit location (like a library or museum), I've heard/read a number of stories that I think are just great. Whether the locations are drawing business or visibility or simply benefiting from feet-in-the-door, I am pretty supportive.
5) Psychological healing of a sort. It presents a potential catalyst for those with social anxiety and similar afflictions. Something that came up in conversation today, but was also a topic for a radio interview I heard on my way home from work. Not only does the game give a reason for those afflicted to venture out where they otherwise would not, but it also can present a certain social interaction what might typically be crippling, but because of the common-ground (Pokemon Go) it might serve to break through some of the human-interaction anxiety that would typically present for those with social anxiety.

I imagine that there are more positives that will come to mind. Perhaps some more negatives also, but I think that the negatives will primarily be outweighed/overtaken by the potential raised awareness that I think (optimistically, perhaps) that Pokemon Go will/may increase. Maybe I'm just optimistic.

*I picked up a few pokemon this morning at work, but only for the span of about 15 minutes on my break/lunch while subsequently acquiring coffee/food.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Lethal Interjection wrote:Pokemon Go:
1.) Things like "I'm an adult", "How immature" or other things of that nature. To which I say, "Fine, don't play." But have enough respect to allow others to muck about with the game. A lot of people like it because it's based on a game they grew up with, and a lot of people like it because it's a type of game that is fresh and new (augmented reality). Haters gonna hate.
I've been telling everyone this and I'm gonna keep doing it! Maybe I'll try it at some point, but honestly I go out walking all the time anyway so it's not that wild to me. Also, it requires all kinds of special permissions from your phone (although supposedly this behaviour is unintentional and might get fixed at some point).
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I've turned it on twice, as I don't have internet on my phone (I could, but affording it is another matter). Fortunately I got the 'starter' pokemon, and randomly at my sisters house there was another pokemon. So now I have two. And I've had the game for like... a week now?
King Prawn

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

If you ignore the starter pokey-mans, Pikachu pops up after a few minutes.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

DonRetrasado wrote: I've been telling everyone this and I'm gonna keep doing it! Maybe I'll try it at some point, but honestly I go out walking all the time anyway so it's not that wild to me. Also, it requires all kinds of special permissions from your phone (although supposedly this behaviour is unintentional and might get fixed at some point).
I can hardly say that I'm surprised. You are a grumpy old coot.
I hadn't heard about the special permissions thing. It asked me for permission to use the camera and location but those are part of the game, so naturally. I haven't played enough to test for myself whether it's a battery drain or data hog. Though I've read that the former is definitely true, the latter less so.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Maybe the permissions thing is an Android vs iOS deal.

Edit: As for the game itself, I've been tempted but I haven't gotten it. My dad's work (a botanical garden) has been swarming with players. I'm conflicted between being happy that more people who otherwise probably wouldn't go are seeing it (and other natural areas*) and the reality that most of them are staring at their phone screens the whole time. At least they're making vitamin D.

*i.e. anywhere without a roof

Edit 2: It's also interesting how many things the game is dredging up, like bodies and cliffs and mines.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

I haven't played and I don't plan to.* But I don't have anything against it. I only know a small handful of people my age playing it. I was in my early 20s when Pokeman started getting big. So there isn't any major nostalgia. I know of ton of people a few years younger than me that play it and they all seem to enjoy it.

*Even if I wanted to play, the battery drain would be a problem. I'm on my phone for work a lot and often can't charge it while at work. The battery life for my phone also not great. So it is plugged in most of the time I'm not at work.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Felstaff wrote:If you ignore the starter pokey-mans, Pikachu pops up after a few minutes.
I may only have four pokemon (I was at a cafe with free wifi today and two walked past!) but I'm not restarting the game just so I can have Pikachu. I'm sticking with BubbleMaster - Squirtle. He's named, I can't give up on him now.
King Prawn

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Kimra wrote:
Felstaff wrote:If you ignore the starter pokey-mans, Pikachu pops up after a few minutes.
I may only have four pokemon (I was at a cafe with free wifi today and two walked past!) but I'm not restarting the game just so I can have Pikachu. I'm sticking with BubbleMaster - Squirtle. He's named, I can't give up on him now.
It really doesn't matter anyways. The starting pokemon are so low-level they quickly become overtaken by others.

I'm also a little bit put-out by my battery usage at work. I don't use it for work, but I do use it a bunch during breaks/lunch* and my battery life is typically 30% or so by the time I get home. Which means my walk is limited or I have to charge a bit first (which based on timing means my walk is limited).

*plus I have an app that's a bit of a hog, but turning notifications on and off is irritating and I've yet to get to that point.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Lethal Interjection wrote:The only two points against the game I've heard thusfar are:
Well, if you listen to some guy I have on facebook who I used to be friends with 7 years ago, Pokemon Go is 'shitty', and ' the least fun game' he's ever played because where he lives he can't get any rare Pokemon. He seems very upset about this, with the opinion that Niantec doesn't think he deserves to get any good Pokemon.

Edit: This guy is 30 years old.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I've been on a farm for the last week or so. We are in a valley and my phone can't even get a gps signal here. Needless to say my pokemoning time has been fruitless.
King Prawn