What games are you playing right now?

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Re: What games are you playing right now?

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Kimra wrote:Apparently I'm going to start playing Diablo. Because a legit copy was given to me for christmas. So I must now play it. (It might be Diablo 3? I haven't looked at the box enough yet).
I bought it at the release. Worst money I ever spent. Not because the game is bad, but because the system was incredibly buggy, and I lost interest before they fixed it. Though it may also be because I started playing on one of the more difficult character classes (the witch-doctor/shaman dude).

That said I've recently been sporadically playing it (and am close to actually beating it) over the last couple of weeks on the PS3 (which I think I like better than the PC version, which is suprising), but with friends all gathered around the same TV. I've enjoyed it a lot more. And this time I'm playing with the heavy, which is not a class I typically side towards, so that's been different.

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

The Last of Us, which the love of my life so far picked up for $20, which is odd as we deal in the Great British Pound, here.

I also spent four hours fort-yesterday optimising the MEDIA HUB, which now runs a PS3 over HDMI, PS2 using one of two SCART Connections, Wii using the composite bit, and a DVD Player and VHS player sharing the remaining SCART (I run the DVD through the VHS's second auxiliary SCART connection, even though it's pointless as both the PlayStations play DVDs, but I dislike using the DualShock 2/3s to control DVDs for some reason). I wanted to hook up my old PC to create a massive media library, but it's given me nothing but grief since I bought it in 2008. Turns out AMD Phenom chips were shit! Also, Vista. I have used the rest of the side-trays beneath the Murphy-branded television (who are Murphy?) to house all my PS1, 2, 3, Wii, and GameCube games.

I have been doing nothing but playing PS1, 2, 3, Wii and GameCube games since the day before yesterday. We've hosted two dinner parties in the meantime!

Anyway, The Last of Us sure is good, and so is Grand Theft Auto V, both of which I'm a coupla hours into it (10.6% through GTA apparently, even though I haven't got to the third guy yet. I haven't yet stolen a plane).

Also playing Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse at a leisurely pace. Don't want to complete it too fast! Beautifully hand-drawn 2D point-and-click adventure games haven't exactly grown on trees since 1997.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

I bought a 4-pack of Lunar Flight as it was on sale. It's basically the old-school Lunar Lander game but made all pretty-like with a third dimension and added missions and the option of having a cannon installed for multiplayer newtonian physics action. I've been playing it for like an hour or so and am incredibly glad I've played a shitton of KSP because I've mostly got powered landings in an airless newtonian environment on lock. The controls are slightly more intuitive than KSP, but then you're only concerned with one type of maneuvering and no staging so it's not exactly a fair comparison.

I think if someone put out a game that combined Moonbase Alpha, Kerbal Space Program, and Lunar Flight I would die of starvation as I assembled bases and ran cargo runs forever.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Catlateral Damage - Ed, have you seen this yet?
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

smiley_cow wrote:Catlateral Damage - Ed, have you seen this yet?
Dammit - I was this close to sharing it yesterday after a friend sent it to me.

Neither of my cats is very destructive.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Well, now I know how I'm spending my evenings.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Edminster wrote:Well, now I know how I'm spending my evenings.
I don't like it. It's very discouraging with it's 'You lose.' every time you play it. I just wanted to knock things off and beat my own highscore. Not be judged a failure every time.
King Prawn

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

I thought the same thing until I learned that you can left and right click to use your paws. I went from ~10,000 points and failing to 100,000 in the first forty seconds.

gödel stop spreading fud

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

The storyline lacks complexity.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

GUTCHUCKER wrote:The storyline lacks complexity.
Clearly you are missing the subtext about the futility of life.

Thanks to work and having something that very vaguely resembles a social life, last night was my first chance in a week to play a decent amount of minecraft and some jackass was DDoSing the server for what turned out to be the third day in a row. There were two days with some downtime the week before last thanks to the same shit. It is very annoying. I'm at a super tedious part of FFVII (building up for the end of the game) and didn't feel like doing that. So I finally bought KSP, but by the time I had it going, I was too drunk for rocket science. So I basically spent two hours last night failing at playing video games.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I just want to say that I'm glad that Bejeweled Blitz picked up my high score of over 1 million points. I am sad that it neglected to pick up my high unboosted score of something like 575,000 which I attained a few weeks back. Both occurred on my phone, I should say. Apparently I am a little better on my phone in several circumstances.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Lethal Interjection wrote:I just want to say that I'm glad that Bejeweled Blitz picked up my high score of over 1 million points. I am sad that it neglected to pick up my high unboosted score of something like 575,000 which I attained a few weeks back. Both occurred on my phone, I should say. Apparently I am a little better on my phone in several circumstances.
Is speed a factor in this game? I kinda know what it is.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Lethal Interjection wrote:I just want to say that I'm glad that Bejeweled Blitz picked up my high score of over 1 million points. I am sad that it neglected to pick up my high unboosted score of something like 575,000 which I attained a few weeks back. Both occurred on my phone, I should say. Apparently I am a little better on my phone in several circumstances.
Yeah, I kind of feel the same way. I'm usually way prouder of my really high non-boost scores than I am when I do well all boosted up. The former I feel takes real skill, the latter I feel like you just get the right things in the right order since it's all a mess of explosions anyways. Also that's a pretty impressive non-boost score, so far I've only managed to break 400k.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

I've been playing Dues Ex Human Revolution off and on. I'm about halfway through and it is a good game. The story is pretty solid, there is a good deal of side quests and alternate outcomes, decent options as far as developing your character, good graphics, and a reasonably well developed world to play around in without being too sanboxish.

I do have one major grip though. The game actively encourages stealth and non-lethal take-downs by awarding bonus experience. I think it is also more fun that way because you have to plan a bit more than if you just shot your way through everything.

But then every so often it will lock you in a room and make you go toe-toe with some bad ass combat monster as a boss fight. This basically punishes you for not developing combat oriented skills and abilities. The first boss fight took me around 40 tries and was mostly luck. The second was only slightly better. I'm pretty bad at first person shooters. So I usually only play FPSes that either allow for some alternate strategy, like this one, or are fairly forgiving like Fallout3/New Vegas and Half-Life. So having to stand and fight in a confined space is really frustrating for me.

The only other Dues Ex I played in the series was the first, which I seem to remember doing something similar. Although that let you be stealthy the whole game until the very end where you had to fight your way out after competing the last mission.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

From what I understand, the Director's Cut adds stealth possibilities for all of the bosses, and Steam offers it on discount if you already have the base game. I think if you've already all the DLC, it's only like five dollars.

gödel stop spreading fud