LR's MOVIE OF THE NOW

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Re: LR's MOVIE OF THE NOW

Post by Apocalyptus »

Kaharz wrote: I was somewhat comforted by the idiot doing the ranting having obviously heard of "mores" in regard to social norms and morals, but equally obviously hasn't read about them since he spelled it "moray."
Huh, well it seems I have read the word heaps of times but have never heard it, because I did not know it was pronounced that way.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Apocalyptus wrote:
Kaharz wrote: I was somewhat comforted by the idiot doing the ranting having obviously heard of "mores" in regard to social norms and morals, but equally obviously hasn't read about them since he spelled it "moray."
Huh, well it seems I have read the word heaps of times but have never heard it, because I did not know it was pronounced that way.
Ditto.

And Lethal, my housemate treats himself to one every couple months. He usually goes to a nice restaurant and orders one of every kind of drink (cocktail, beer, wine) and one of each course. He always has a great time and the servers have a lot of fun chatting with him.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

I think there is another pronunciation too. It is a french or Latin borrow I believe. I first heard it in a lecture, but the professor pointed out the spelling. I definitely understand the confusion. But if you are going to use jargon in your writing that you want large groups of people to read, you should probably check the spelling.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I've been very tempted to go see this movie ever since the MRA started complaining about it. I've not heard a bad thing about it from anyone (except that there is gore but whose surprised by that?). I'll see if I can go on tight-ass-tuesday for a masturdate (I'm never using that word again) before class.
King Prawn

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Jupiter Ascending
I'd give it a 6.5/10. The story wasn't very tight, and the girl seemed stupid a fair few times but I enjoyed it and it was fun.
King Prawn

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

I saw Mad Max again with my dad and brother. Kickass.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Seriously, I think anyone I know who has seen Mad Max has been glowing about it, perhaps deliberately in a jealousy-inducing way. And the movie is only a week and a half old. I mean I already planned on seeing it sometime on Wed-Fri, and I'm feeling like that's already waiting too long.
Hopefully I can check enough off of my vacation-to-do list tonight and tomorrow that Wednesday will be an optimal time. We shall see.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Lethal Interjection wrote:Seriously, I think anyone I know who has seen Mad Max has been glowing about it, perhaps deliberately in a jealousy-inducing way. And the movie is only a week and a half old. I mean I already planned on seeing it sometime on Wed-Fri, and I'm feeling like that's already waiting too long.
Hopefully I can check enough off of my vacation-to-do list tonight and tomorrow that Wednesday will be an optimal time. We shall see.
In order:
We are. I've already seen it twice. It is. Sooner is better. Watch it in 3D (the director claims to prefer it, and it's pretty decently done). Personal note: pay attention to everything, it is a very visually dense movie and Miller is solidly in the school of Show, Don't Tell. A lot of characters are never referred to by name, but if you pay attention you will know precisely who they are when the credits roll.

I watched it with my grandmother the other day because the boyfriend wanted to sleep in, and it's really astounding just how much Miller changed pop culture. Neither of us have seen any of the other Mad Max movies, but I recognised everything and understood it all because I had been 'primed' for it my entire life through pop culture. The original Fallout games and GorkaMorka / 40k Orks in general are the biggest ones I can name offhand, but there's so much residuality of it that the ironic comparison is that of a nuclear bomb. My grandmother on the other hand had a lot of trouble keeping up and inferring relationships / history because none of it was even on her radar for the bulk of her life.

I desperately want to watch it a third time in theaters but I've got no cash left that isn't already spoken for :/

Fun Fact: the previous three movies Miller directed were Happy Feet 1+2 and Babe: Pig in the City
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

So you didn't feel like the movie's feminist agenda detracted from your experience?
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

I saw it in 2D both times. I think the last movie I saw in 3D was Avatar. In an interview, Miller said he insisted that the blu-ray have a black-and-white option, as well as the option to watch it with just the backing soundtrack, which is such a good idea.

Ed, you should absolutely see the first three. He stayed completely true to the themes and visual style of the originals. The first three, though, have more of that grungy, creepy 70s-80s sci-fi vibe to them. Things like those super-sexy nipple rings and that sweet ass bulbous mutant foot in this one.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Apocalypto. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect going into it, but I think I was imagining a scaled-down version of 10000 BC, which was a pretty awesome movie*. I was pretty surprised by the documentary-esque style of it, which took a bit to get used to. I think the realism was a good thing - the Mayan temples weren't shown 3 times as large as they were, no hideous ancient monsters, etc.

Plus, using only Maya/American Indian actors speaking an actual Maya language. I found a version of it without subtitles, which I considered watching since one doesn't really need to understand the dialogue at all to know what's going on.

*and super historically accurate!

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

I stopped watching Apocalyto about 20 minutes in due to the violence. 10000 BC was hilariously bad.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

The violence does not get any better - good decision.

I think 10000 BC is by far the worst movie I've thoroughly enjoyed watching.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:The violence does not get any better - good decision.

I think 10000 BC is by far the worst movie I've thoroughly enjoyed watching.
I thought it was entertaining and mediocre. Though the overt mixing of various mythos, ancient religions, and so forth was terribly distracting. When I spend more time evaluating and piecing together how they accumulated the storyline than actually watching it, it marks it in the 'bad' category. Although, it did get me thinking on the movie and other things, so I guess that might be a notch in the 'good' column , as it makes it memorable?

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Apocalyptus wrote:
Edminster wrote:If you are not actively watching Mad Max: Fury Road this very minute you have made incorrect life choices.
I knew I was going to have to see it after those Return of Kings morons made a big song and dance about boycotting because of the 'feminist propaganda'.
So I saw it on the weekend and yes, everyone who has not seen it needs to go see it.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."