Edminster is super lazy so I had to make him this KSP thread

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Re: Edminster is super lazy so I had to make him this KSP th

Post by Edminster »

I burned the wrong direction... Image

And I didn't realize I was doing it until I added a whole kilometer of dV to the capture maneuver. I was able to correct it, but I used up the entirety of the transfer stage and fully half of the lander stage, so Newemy Kerman is categorically not landing on Duna today. He is now in a roughly circular orbit 20 megameters above Duna.

Newemy is taking the news that he's going to be in that can for a while rather stoically, but everyone here at Mission Control knows how terrified he is.

Godspeed, Newemy! We're working on new parts for a better rocket to rescue you with all that research you've beamed at us.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

GUTCHUCKER wrote:I now have a man in orbit of Kerbin.
No, I don't mean a man in a ship.
Image II
Godspeed, Bob Kerman.
That's wonderful.

Based on what I've seen so far, the suits don't seem to have O2 timers on them.

I'm sorry for your loss, Ed.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

I sent up a second Buoy intended to go rescue Newemy and refueled it, but in looking at the Launch Window Calculator it's another hundred-odd days before the transfer window to Duna opens up again, and there's a further sixty days of travel through interplanetary space. The replacement Buoy is going to have more fuel than the original had by merit of pushing less dead weight, but damn it's going to be a while.

Incidentally that top half is my new Kerbin Orbit Refueler; it can push 1440 units of fuel to a 200 kilometer orbit with plenty of fuel to spare for fine-tuning orbits before final docking maneuvers. Since I've unlocked the 4-man habitation tank I might try my hand at base construction while waiting for the launch window to reopen. With any luck, I'll end up with a reasonable facsimile of Mir.

For fifteen years that was the ultimate space station; the pinnacle of human ingenuity.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

gödel stop spreading fud

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

I brough Jeb back from the Mun (and forgot to take pictures) but the science he brought back wasn't enough to unlock any of the parts that would have been super-nice to build a space station with. I did have enough science to unlock drogue chutes though, and since Duna has a rather thin atmosphere I figured I might as well build an attachment to send with the refuel Buoy I'm sending anyway.

I'm starting to get the hang of delaying launches so as to make rendezvous easier (as opposed to just waiting until the orbits synchronize) but I launched a bit early, so I had to take the parachute assembly into a higher orbit to allow the Buoy to 'catch up'. I am way overengineering these launches though because I had about two thousand units of fuel to spare and nothing to pump it into.

I had built the parachute assembly with some hazy notion of detaching it from the ascent stage and moving it over to the Buoy, but I ended up using the Buoy itself for the final docking maneuvers and refueling its RCS system from the tanks on the miniature control unit. Bit by bit I get better at docking, but I really, really wish there was a camera view integrated into the docking ports as that would make it so much easier.

An artefact of the original plan to dock the parachutes with the Buoy was that I had a perfectly functional little probe with docking ports on each end and a whole lot of RCS thrusters and monopropellant to fuel them. I ended up de-orbiting the ascent stage and before I got terribly far on the descent orbit I detached the probe and sent it into a 140km orbit. I think it's going to end up being the seed of my space station.

gödel stop spreading fud

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

So I decided to send up a habitation module and escape system at the same time, since my basic lifter can put over twenty tons into orbit with ease. I'm actually rather pleased with the design of it, but damn my lifter just has tons of fuel leftover. I had to jettison it to finish the docking maneuver and wasted a whole shitload of fuel yet again.

In that last one, I've reoriented the hab module so that the docking ports are on the North/South axis. This allows the docking port to stay in the same orientation despite orbiting around Kerbin, so it's much easier to align and dock with. As with pretty much every other mission I've flown, I ended up using the target for final docking maneuvers because it's invariably lighter and more maneuverable.

I sent four kerbals up, but they had to ride in the escape pods because the big habitation bit doesn't actually have any controls for them. Luckily you can rightclick on a docking port and select 'control from here' so I did not have to do the entire ascent with the navball oriented oddly.

The ascent stage has been jettisoned and the 'core' repositioned on the other side, so all of the solar panels are in the same general area.

gödel stop spreading fud

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

You're enjoying having this thread, aren't you.

Here are all the things I have in mostly circular orbits of Kerbin.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:You're enjoying having this thread, aren't you.

Here are all the things I have in mostly circular orbits of Kerbin.

I very much am loving it :D

I felt that the little escape rockets I had previously didn't offer enough control. So, I built something to replace them.

Unfortunately it took getting them into orbit to discover that the little orange rocket thrusters don't actually offer any thrust because the RCS nozzles block them, so I had to deorbit them via RCS alone. Which was fine, as there's a ton of it, but still it's something for revision. Also needed: rudder of some sort.

They glide a long-ass time, and while I can't really change directions with this version I *can* influence where I land. I figure a little fine-tuning and I'll be able to not land in the ocean if I accidenatlly overshoot KSC.

gödel stop spreading fud

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

I crashed into the Mun!

edit: Twice!

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:I crashed into the Mun!

edit: Twice!
And yet you didn't get any pictures!

I refined my re-entry gliders by adding actual rudders to them and fixing the rocket exhaust path, and making both the canards and wings dihedral and lower on the fuselage. They fly like a dream now, and I sent up a second set just so I can deorbit them later.

The whole assembly is finally straining my standard lifter, so I'm going to have to calculate the weight and see what its maximum recommended payload is. I could probably yank out a fuel tank on the central stack, but I might want this for sending things to the Mun.

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I've been playing the demo! Which I found when checking to see what the price of the game was. Which is perfect, since I really didn't want to spend the money until I got a feel for the game...

I played a bit on Friday. Mostly screwing around. Managed a few hops and a bunch of crashes. And ultimately got a little frustrated because I didn't feel like I had any control, prompting me to watch some tutorials. Pretty much just one, which got jumped my understanding a fair bit.

So then, today. Today I had a few missed ones (uncorrectable flights, essentially).
Then managed to hit one into an orbit, or so I thought. This was mostly because I spent about half of my maneuver aimed at the wrong target. Still was pretty happy with it but the periapse was too low so it was degrading. Managed two trips around Kerbal before landing, just missing the icy landscape. Then a few more missed flights.
Then finally I just nailed a flight. Was managing perfect corrections and such. I got a little panicky close to my maneuver node (unnecessarily) and just kind of put a decent orbit in and just went for it. I ran out of fuel about 3/4 of the way through the burn and ended up with an even better than attempted orbit. 101K for the periapse and 170K for the apoapse. Which I'm quite proud of.
I'd love to put up a picture of the orbit, but apparently Photobucket got really retarded since the last time I was there. Time for a new image hosting site, methinks. Which I sadly don't have time for right now.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Buy it.

My flatmate and I have one of our friends over, and she asked if we wanted to watch something. I replied, "Sure, even though I have a million essays due tomorrow". My flatmate looks over at my computer screen saying, "He says as he plays Kerbal Space Program."

I yell, "IT'S NOT A GAME!".

e: Use imgur.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:Buy it.
I still think that it's better to wait for it to go on sale, but man it is rapidly approaching full-price featureset. They still need to finish out career mode and maybe add in some quality-of-life improvements like a camera view for docking ports and maybe a mode that allows you to test ships in arbitrary conditions (e.g. checking whether a given lander can reach orbit from the surface of Laythe) as well as a few more performance passes and floating point bugfixes, but they are getting there!

I've been playing with my improved escape gliders, and they are an utter dream to handle compared to the first iteration. I was even able to land a couple at KSC and the Secret Airstrip from a 90km orbit! It looks like they've about a 10:1 glide ratio once they hit the densest part of the atmosphere, so that gives the ability to pick your landing spot in a 90km radius with room for error once you pass through the thicker parts of atmo.

I'm particularly proud of my first attempt at landing at KSC, because I had no idea what my GR was at the time and saw mountains directly in the path between the glider and KSC. I threaded the needle and landed perfectly.

I tried to do it a second time but I re-entered a bit too late (over KSC instead of at the start of the continent) but thanks to the controllability of these gliders I was able to turn around and land at the Secret Airstrip. I probably could have made it back to KSC but I hadn't landed at the Airstrip in this update.

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:Buy it.

My flatmate and I have one of our friends over, and she asked if we wanted to watch something. I replied, "Sure, even though I have a million essays due tomorrow". My flatmate looks over at my computer screen saying, "He says as he plays Kerbal Space Program."

I yell, "IT'S NOT A GAME!".

e: Use imgur.
I figured I'd probably go with imgur.

I'm going to play around with the demo for a while right now. I'll see how that goes and if I'm able to wait out the inevitable Steam sales leading up to Christmas.

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

WOOOOOOOOOO MOON LANDING
Totally worth the first two crashes.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.