New People

I AM NOT KIDDING YOU WILL BE BANNED

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Re: New People

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

DevoiD wrote:Greetings fellow SMBC enthusiasts and detractors. I have enjoyed this comic for some time and feel that it is time to join the forum. I hope that you will all tolerate my existence as I will yours.
Welcome!

Get a picture.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

DevoiD

Post by DevoiD »

sure thing, what could possibly go wrong.

BTW, any reason why a bunch of the emoticons and images are missing?

like this one is a big fat 404, and is the title to the whole forum

http://www.smbc-comics.com/smbcforum/st ... oforum.png

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Zach's brother is the Forum's tech support guy.

He's also been working at Pinterest since basically the beginning, so he doesn't really have time for us.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

DevoiD

Post by DevoiD »

I'm sure dudes probably do this a lot, but I'm pretty fluent in phpbb, to the point where I have written mods before, so I'd love to assist if that is a thing that is needed... of course you met me today so trust is zilcho at this point, but I could offer advice if someone else wanted to correct anything.

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

In years to come we will look back at this post and use it as the preface to Chapter i: the usurper introduces themselves
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Edminster wrote:Zach's brother is the Forum's tech support guy.

He's also been working at Pinterest since basically the beginning, so he doesn't really have time for us.
Is this true? If it is, I did not know that. Pinteresting.

Zach doesn't give any thought to the forum. Which is probably good since I can't imagine he'd bother keeping it around as it is primarily a respite for old fans who've stuck around for the community rather than the comic.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

DevoiD wrote:Greetings fellow SMBC enthusiasts and detractors. I have enjoyed this comic for some time and feel that it is time to join the forum. I hope that you will all tolerate my existence as I will yours.
I will love and tolerate the shit out of you.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

I will simply tolerate you until you poo. After that? All bets are off.

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Do you pronounce phpbb by blowing a raspberry? I hope so.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Welcome and congratulations on actually having the ability and courtesy to properly introduce yourself. You are already in the top 5% to 10%*

*based purely on anecdotal observation, I'm no statistician
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Kaharz wrote:Welcome and congratulations on actually having the ability and courtesy to properly introduce yourself. You are already in the top 5% to 10%*

*based purely on anecdotal observation, I'm no statistician
See, if they post outside of the Latest Comic section, I'd say we are talking about probably over 1/3 of those folks posting an intro.
But using the whole run of new users? 5% is over-generous even without taking guests into account.

DevoiD

Post by DevoiD »

Thanks for the intro guys... not looking to usurp.

Unfortunately, or perhaps inexorably, I'm an individual who pronounces acronyms as if they are acronyms, not as if they are words. So phpBB coming from me would be pronounced "Pee Aitch Pee Bee Bee", and I will work assiduously on people who call SQL "Sequel" until they see it my way. I am not saying that we cannot be friends, GUTCHUCKER, but we will have differing opinions on at least one subject.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

I hope you say "en aye ess aye".
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

DevoiD

Post by DevoiD »

That is a very important bomb you have dropped on my camp there, I do indeed say NASA as a word... now I must question everything, perhaps a more rigorous determination as to whether or not something is an acronym or an initialism is required...

In the spirit of evolving attitudes based on new information, I must therefor both conclude and accept that I was incorrect in my use of the word Acronym, and should have used Initialism.

Following from that, I think that phpBB and SQL are examples of an Initialism and NASA is an example of Initialism that is also Acronym, due to its formation of an easily pronounceable word.

"Fuhpuhbuhbuh" I argue is obscure and not easily pronounceable and therefor excludes phpBB from being in the acronym club and "Sequel" adds extra sounds that are not spelled out in the initilism and therefor stops SQL from being an acronym.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

DevoiD wrote:"Fuhpuhbuhbuh" I argue is obscure and not easily pronounceable and therefor excludes phpBB from being in the acronym club
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud