The Rules of the Forum

I AM NOT KIDDING YOU WILL BE BANNED

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Eisbreaker
He Who Must Not Be d

Re: The Rules of the Forum

Post by Eisbreaker »

Personally, that redhead with the massive jawline scares me a little.
Don't drink and drive, take LSD and Teleport.

Gangler
watashi wa kawaii desu ne ^o^;

Post by Gangler »

Oh My God I didn't spot that! Look at that head! It looks like you could open a can with it!
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon
about to eat your face.

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Edminster wrote:Personally hurf durf bladaflurf anurf. Adurr buh gurdurr infa gormer, blana hurdaflurgle merf ern fergle bler. Nurb ger flerpa perpadee derba korbugee jerb serp nerda doo.
I lol'd most raucously
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Personally, I'm not sure the Holocaust really happened.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Euclidthegreek
Fisty McGee

Post by Euclidthegreek »

I suggest a new rule:
3-2. Don't compare SMBC to xkcd, it only enrages everyone.
Edminster wrote:I'm starting to think Euclid lives in the past.

In Jam
[Insert Penis Here]

Post by In Jam »

They are kind of similar now, except Zach doesn't just skim the wikipedia article before writing about something

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Come the New Year I will be punishing unregistered users much more harshly. This is not (solely) because I hate unregistered users, but rather because of some fundamental forums software limitations.

The reason for this is that registered users can be probated by username; this allows the probated user to continue browsing the forums as per usual but they are unable to post.

Unregistered users, however, can only be probated by IP address. This means that they will be unable to access the forum at all.

I have been refraining from punishing unregistered users because I believed they were essentially a drive-by situation and would not return to see what they had done, but recent tomatoposting has shown me otherwise.

So, again: If you want to post like an idiot and still read the forum, register an account.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

I am 12 and wat is this
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Tough but fair.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Also I'm not going to bother giving unregistereds an actual Wall of Shame entry because that is an absurd amount of work for very little gain.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

Edminster wrote:tomatoposting

edit; oh it's a thing*. I thought it was a thing**.

I guess this means I should read the comic and the threads about the comic first. Actually, I'd rather wallow in my ignorance.

*on the forum
**on the google
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

I don't usually support people being wilfully ignorant, but this time I think it's for the best.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Have you ever noticed that people who get power on the internet, typically in the form of mod or admin powers in forums, sometimes chats, or worst in games as multihunter or the like, tend to get more and more aggressive over time? I certainly noticed that when I was multihunting. Or rather I didn't, but my roommate and co-multihunter did, I only really saw it a while after I stopped multihunting. After some time one can only see all people as potential cheaters and rules violators, and even the most minor infractions as big rule breaches.

You know things are getting out of hand when people get banned [*], locked or otherwise punished mostly or only for the entertainment of those who have the power.

There are other and early indicators, like the punishments ever increasing. It starts with one-hour bans for basically nothing (even though this forum software allows 30 minute bans, at least in the version that I know). Then there are people getting one-week bans for, not quite earnestly, suggesting to be banned. One week? Are you serious? Apparently. Doubling to two weeks for circumventing ... I don't even ask. Now 6 hour bans, 24 hour bans again for almost nothing. Something that can also be expressed with 30-minute or 1-hour bans.

Other indicators: Bans without actually violating any rule. Oh, I just basically mentioned that above. Another one: Making up rules on the spot.

Guys, it's not funny. Put your head under some cold water and see what you are doing. Banning someone is an act of violence - to the extent violence is possible on the internet. As the police and judges in one person you have the right to use that violence. Use it wisely and fairly, never excessively, and certainly never because you think it's hilarious.

___

[*] Contrary to the word usage in some obscure forum where people pay money to join there are [temporary] bans and permabans, not "probation" and [always permanent] bans.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Pitch Hitter
[Insert Here]

Post by Pitch Hitter »

you guys are hitler

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I really hope that was a joke.
I don't think it was.