Time for some flash (fiction, that is)

For original creative work. For the love of Zach, read Rule 30.

Moderator: Kimra

Jesster
Clearly not funny

Time for some flash (fiction, that is)

Post by Jesster »

From back when WriteFight was still going:

No More Robots

"It's not so bad here, I suppose. Three meals a day, new linens on a Wednesday (Although Maureen gets impatient and just wets herself), even get a lovely nurse to tuck you in of a night; puts the duvet around you and gives you a little pat on the head. Doesn't cost a penny, well not for me anyway, government handles the bills and all I have to do is stay quiet and smile when people come round.

Not that they do much, smart lad in a suit and tie every few months comes to bother me, going on for hours about experimental treatment injections of insulin or something like that. I give up telling him to clear off eventually; smile at him and sign where he tells me to. He pats me on the head an' all; says "You've made the right decision love", and I says "I don't care how nice your suit is, it's Mrs. Barr to you." Anyway, he apologises to me and hurries off, must have somewhere important to be. That was a year ago, I've not seen him since. Suppose all he wanted was me name on his paper, didn't care so much for the converse. Was a nice suit though, one of those posh foreign names sewn into it.

There's Rose, lovely name. Lovely little lass an' all, does her hair before she comes out even though it's only me to see it. That's true class, old values you don't see anymore. Wavy and brown it is, right down past her shoulders, must brush it 100 times every night. That's what my mother says to me "Lily, you brush your hair exactly 100 times every night before you get into bed, and all the boys will love you." Didn't do me any good, I don't remember any boys at all. 'Cept the lad in the nice suit of course, but I'm getting on a bit for him to be looking at my hair. She doesn't like it when I talk about the man in the suit, says it's one of the things I make up. Apparently I do that a lot. Don't though. I've never told a lie in my life, and why would I have invented a man I didn't like? I'm not mad you know, just recovering from an illness. That's how my mother died; recovering. Silly way to die, recovering means you're supposed to get better. Funny how Rose got me thinking of my mother, she always does. Just sits by my bed, holds my hand and chatters on softly. Calls me mum. But I can't be, she can't be my daughter. I'd remember a daughter, I'd remember a lad. You need lads to have daughters, they don't just pop out on their own.

It was that lie that tipped me off, made me look around and see what was really going on. Why would someone be lying about being my daughter? I asked the nurse when she came by, I says "Nurse Gosling," bloody stupid name that is "Why would Rose lie about being my daughter?" Well, she only goes and says "She is your daughter, don't you remember?" I refused to speak to her for a few days after that. Something had been wrong lately. Gosling had looked after me so nicely, been kind about my 'recovery'. Now she scowls a lot, crosses her arms when she's not fluffing pillows, or changing the flowers. Poor lass, doesn't excuse the lies though.

A couple of weeks passed, and I pretended everything was alright, but I could see it wasn't; they were flustered. My suspicions were confirmed by the black & white television that sits on a ledge in the corner of my room. I'm not supposed to watch the news, but I had been feeling rebellious and Nurse Gosling was late on her rounds, so I furtively switched over at ten o'clock. Well I didn't half get a shock when Trevor McDonald pipes up with "Mrs. Barr, you must listen. We have no time." Nearly fell out of me bed I did. "Mrs. Barr, you are in incredible danger. You are being held there for a reason, you are dangerous to them. The people around you are not real, they're mechanical, built by MI5 to keep you safe, to stop you from telling anyone. Your life is a lie. Only you can stop th-" Then the snooker was on. I turned to see Gosling looming over me brandishing the remote like a tribal spear. "You are NOT allowed to watch the news Mrs. Barr, and you know that."
"And just why not?"
"It is bad for your mental health."
"It's your mental health what needs checking."
"I shall pretend I didn't hear that Mrs. Barr, now you just quiet down and enjoy the sport."
"Well, I can't watch the bloody snooker on a black and white television can I?" She just harrumphed and marched out. Interfering witch.

It was only once she'd gone that Trevor's words got through to me. I was special? I was dangerous to these people? I said it out loud to make sure, and it felt right. I <i>was</i> special. Why else would I be here? Why else would I not have to pay? Why else would a young man come to see me? I knew what had to be done. They let me keep knitting nedles and wool in the oak chest of drawers by my bed, and I pulled them out. I had to do this quick, before they read my mind and put a stop to it. Heart racing, I hit the Nurse Call button, and crouched down beside the door. My palms felt sweaty, but my grip on the needle was good. I hadn't done much exercise for a while, but I am sure I've got enough strength in me to finish this.

It isn't killing, not really. Merriam-Webster told me that killing was an event that causes someone to die, the act of terminating a life. I could never do that, I would always put the spiders outside, wave them goodbye. This here is in black and white, to cause the death of a living organism. These things might look alive, but they're not. You can't kill a toaster, or a fridge, and that's all they are really. They can look human, but inside they're just wire and metal, even if their fake blood feels warm on my skin.
"Moloch was drawn from memory, and is aware how crappy his face looks."

FengharTheNord
Avord the Nord

Re: Time for some flash (fiction, that is)

Post by FengharTheNord »

I loved the last sentence. Just that could've been a whole story by itself.
DonRetrasado wrote:
Amerika wrote:
DonRetrasado wrote:Well you'd need a sock as big as an airplane to hide my penis. An airplane the size of the universe.
Wait I live in a universe.
bow chicka bow wow

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

Totally agree about the last sentence thing.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

I remember I wrote a poem like this once except it was about vampires instead of robots and it was totally awesome. I remember just kicking myself for the idea, "this sounds fantastic and I have no idea how I could write this." Unfortunately, this is pretty good.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Why is it unfortunate?
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Because it's the story that I couldn't write and in the scheme of the universe and things that's simply not fair.