[2011-Dec-28] Tomatoes ARE a fruit!

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Tom S. Fox

[2011-Dec-28] Tomatoes ARE a fruit!

Post by Tom S. Fox »

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db ... 2475#comic

Number 3 is actually correct. In botany, which is a branch of biology, tomatoes are considered a fruit. In fact, the term “vegetable” isn’t even used in botany because it is virtually meaningless. So, yes, biologically, tomatoes are a fruit, not a vegetable.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Re: [2011-Dec-28] Tomatoes ARE a fruit!

Post by DonRetrasado »

I don't like you.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

mszegedy-ere-activation

Post by mszegedy-ere-activation »

Yes, but it doesn't make sense to say "BIOLOGICALLY". It's all semantics; "fruit" and "vegetable" are meaningless constructs (they're actually a LEGAL construct: a fruit is "an edible plant that can be used to decorate a table" or something of the sort in America (or was it Britain?). I'm not kidding. Either way, you can see what bullshit it is.

I may not know much about quantum chromodynamics, but I believe that the electrons with the corresponding color charge actually emit a slightly higher frequency wave than they are named for. Like, a violet electron emits a wave closer to ultraviolet really.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

I REALLY don't like you.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Post by Guest »

Tomatoes are berries.

Editer
ASK ME ABOUT THE BOTANICAL AND CULINARY CLASSIFICATION OF TOMATOES

Post by Editer »

(That's me up above; didn't realize I wasn't logged in. If anyone cares. Sorry.)

none

Post by none »

Fruit is the tissue of an angiosperm flower that, once developed to maturity, covers the seed(s).

So.. botanically/biologically, tomatoes are fruit, and there can be no discussion about it. Sorry.
So are cucumbers, many kinds of nuts (when the shell is included) and most berries (excluding e.g. juniper berries, as they're not angiosperms). But in a strict interpretation, pineapple is not a fruit, as it's composed of the entire inflorescence.

vhsaddict

Post by vhsaddict »

Everyone: shut up. This discussion is stupid and this is the worst comic we've had since that lottery ticket one.

That Mandelbot one was pretty "eh" too.

But hey! Yesterdays comic! That was pretty good huh?

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Guest wrote:Tomatoes are berries.
vhsaddict wrote:Everyone: shut up. This discussion is stupid and this is the worst comic we've had since that lottery ticket one.

That Mandelbot one was pretty "eh" too.

But hey! Yesterdays comic! That was pretty good huh?
You are okay.

Post by Guest »

Every time I visit the forum, I get really disappointed, because it's just a bunch of people saying they hate the comic. But I had to this time, because this one... really sucks? Is it just a semantics joke? I'm under the impression Amazons were said to remove a breast. So it's just the fact that some dumb guy said historically instead of... traditionally? Mythologically? (Word filter don't like that last one.) And, I mean, the Civil War one is just hyperbole, not even really that wrong. Or is the comic really telling me I'm a dumb sack of shit?

Post by Guest »

Using the qualifier biologically, a tomato is, indeed a fruit. The point of the statement is that people who correct people calling tomatoes vegetables are idiots because, for culinary purposes, a tomato is indeed considered a vegetable.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

This is not happening.

Ogtfo

For those who don't like the tomato comic.

Post by Ogtfo »

You didn't quite get it.

Of course, botanically speaking, a tomato is a fruit. That's not the joke.

This is the point : Many vegetables are technically fruits. Eggplant, pepper, tomatoes, etc. The term "vegetable" has no scientific meaning. It is a culinary (and legal construct). The botanical term "fruit" and the culinary/legal term "vegetable" are not mutually exclusive.

That's the joke, as I got it at least. People who say "technically a tomato is a fruit" fail to understand what "vegetable" means.

Further reading on the subject :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable#Terminology

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Re: For those who don't like the tomato comic.

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Ahahahah.

You suck.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

This thread is now a honeypot.

Post by Edminster »

Reopening this thread for a Very Good Reason so if you would all just Please Trust Me and continue on with your business.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud