[2012-Feb-19] We're sorry for taking this awesome land

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Re: [2012-Feb-19] We're sorry for taking this awesome land

Post by smiley_cow »

DonRetrasado wrote: EDIT 2: On a more positive note, does anyone else have any experience with aboriginal languages? I studied Inuktitut for two semesters and it was quite enjoyable. I got to meet Zacharias Kunuk too which was exceptionally cool. I still need to see The Fast Runner.
Not personally, except the occasional word here and there, but I have a friend who speaks Cree. She's not fluent but she speaks more than most people of Cree descent her age. It's a dying language, here, sadly.

Also yeah, you need to see Fast Runner. You might like it more than I did, apparently the Inuktitut doesn't match the subtitles because they were torn on what to say a few times, so they compromised by getting them to say one thing on screen then used the other version in the translations. So there's a few things I probably completely missed.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

I can't really follow along with spoken Inuktitut unfortunately. I only have a basic vocabulary.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

DonRetrasado wrote:There are still people who like to be called Eskimos and Indians, and that's okay.
The handful of people I've met whose ancestors were here before the Europeans prefer "Indigenous" or "Indian."
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

As for the Inuit (Inuk singular), a lot of people in Alaska still call themselves Eskimos. "Eskimo" also includes the Yupik, Inupiat and Inuvialut. Inupiat and Inuvialit are related to the Inuit but do not like being called Inuit at all (though they are referred to as "Inuit" in the Nunavut act). Yupik are totally unrelated folk from Russia so it's actually more appropriate to call them Eskimo over Inuit. I'm not sure what the people in Greenland call themselves. Also, none of these people are First Nations.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

ahah

Post by ahah »

No one alive took the land, no one alive owned the land. Anyone who even considers putting a redistribution scheme together does so based on ethnic collectivism.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

Or you know, ancestral inheritance.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

ahah wrote:No one alive took the land, no one alive owned the land. Anyone who even considers putting a redistribution scheme together does so based on ethnic collectivism.
I don't understand why everyone's counter argument is 'We can't just give back the land!' when no one has mentioned that.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Yes, you can't just give a bunch of people a honk of land and call it a day; look at conditions on reserves. People have needs, like infrastructure and autonomy, and the means to repair their culture and lives. As it stands, all of us who came here or were born here all have to live together. So it wouldn't be unjust to listen to your neighbour's complaints once in a while instead of rebuffing them and saying "not my problem".

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

smiley_cow wrote:
ahah wrote:No one alive took the land, no one alive owned the land. Anyone who even considers putting a redistribution scheme together does so based on ethnic collectivism.
I don't understand why everyone's counter argument is 'We can't just give back the land!' when no one has mentioned that.
What do you mean. Me and the folks at the MJI have be advocating for that for years.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Jamie wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... erica.html

guess that changes everything huh?
No, not really.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Good god, the comments on that article. If that is any reflection on the quality of that news establishment, I'm not holding my breath.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Dindong
[Insert Here]

Post by Dindong »

And yet the telegraph is taken seriously even thought they are mental. They had two articles on there recently, both to do with voting.

One said that corporations should be given the vote.

Another said that people who pay less than £100 of income tax should not be given the vote.

Actual serious articles. They literally want to live in Pre-Victorian Britain.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

I am pretty sure those are the worst possible voting reforms.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Dindong
[Insert Here]

Post by Dindong »

What if we had one guy and only he gets the vote? And like, he could pass on this vote to his descendants. And they could live in a special place, just for them for the voting.