[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
SMBC Comics Forum • View topic - [2013-Jan-15] hmm

[2013-Jan-15] hmm

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

[2013-Jan-15] hmm

Postby saskiiaa » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:29 pm

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=2856#comic

I wonder whether I'll hear anything from any future students, who will have read this comic too.... XD
saskiiaa

Re: [2012-01-15] hmm

Postby i » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:41 pm

It says 'no air resistance', which is different than 'no air'.
i

Postby Chard » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Can we also assume the Earth is flat and gravity is constant and there's no horizontal deceleration at all? If so I get 2h 32m 26.41s. Sadly by that time the actual surface of the Earth is more than 2km below the hypothetical plane the ball bounces along. Of course another answer might be 490 bounces, or 489 bounces and one hitting the ground and rolling.
Chard

Postby powersmp » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:40 pm

powersmp

Postby btve » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:42 pm

hmm I think the answer is wrong by the way. The time given is the time at which the ball first touches the ground. A study using potential energy should be more usefull here. Sadly I have no time to solve this...
btve

Postby btve » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:50 pm

by the way I think that the ball will bounce 1490 times before stoping... (Ek+Ep=1/2mv^2 + mgh).
btve

Postby powersmp » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:37 pm

powersmp

Postby cosmosis » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:23 pm

Just wanted to mention:

Surface area of all land on Earth: 148.3e6 km^2
Surface area of one human (very conservative): 2 m^2

148.3e6 km^2 / 2 m^2 = 7.415e13 people needed to cover the surface of Earth's land.

So the probability of hitting a person, assuming the ball is launched from a random location on land and all dead humans are randomly scattered across the land mass of the earth is: 7e9 people on Earth / 7.415e13 = approximately 0.01% chance of the bowling ball hitting a body on its first bounce. The earth isn't really littered with bodies, and I'd give this answer no credit.
cosmosis

Postby Peon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:49 am

Ask the next question.
Peon

Postby GUTCHUCKER » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:29 am

I'd like to think that we all died during a .
GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Postby Apocalyptus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:07 am

I never get tired of seeing pages of pedantry all about the underlying scientific principles of one not very funny joke, no matter how many times I see it.

No, sirree.
Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Postby Soliloquy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:51 am

Soliloquy

Postby Mcof » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:05 pm

Mcof

Postby nobody » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:28 pm

guaranteed
nobody
[Insert Here]

Postby Apocalyptus » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:45 am

Thank you.
Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Return to Latest Comic Discussion 3: Revenge of the Son of Latest Comic Discussion 2