[2013-May-02] Genie Paradox

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Jewlian

[2013-May-02] Genie Paradox

Post by Jewlian »

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db ... 2964#comic
If the genie changes the dude's life then he never meets the genie, which means the genie never changes the guy's life and *brain explode*. Is this some kind of ruse by the genie to destroy the Universe?

fytyog

Re: [2013-5-2] Genie Paradox

Post by fytyog »

all roads lead to old man weiner

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

That's if the Genie wanted to do so. I imagine any event he changes is tailored to his own preference, which probably involves existing.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

hightechartist

Post by hightechartist »

Its funny, in the oddly many times I've thought about what I'd want from a genie wish, I've always wanted to be able to rewind time Prince of Persia style, except with no limitations to how often I can do it or how far back I can go, but I guess rewinding time would rewind the genie wish...

I need to crowd source the wish wording on this one, heh.

therandus

Post by therandus »

If I had 3 wishes I would do this.

First wish: Wish that there could be no unintended consequences that I could not forsee for all future wishes.
Second Wish: All of the powers attributing to the christian god.
Third Wish: I dunno... a box of kittens or something.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

therandus wrote:If I had 3 wishes I would do this.

First wish: Wish that there could be no unintended consequences that I could not forsee for all future wishes.
The first wish is rubbish. If you think that small phrase will somehow protect you? You think there are no loopholes or such? Why do you think even simple contracts are pages long?

sheriffpony

Post by sheriffpony »

I think once you wish to be able to see all consequences, you'd suddenly have the knowledge that nothing you could possibly wish for would have no unintended consequences and you'd be stuck.

Jewlian

Post by Jewlian »

The first wish is self defeating as you cannot forsee the unintended consequences it entails. For example, one way of technically fulfilling the first wish is by turning you into a turnip.

Bahffling

Post by Bahffling »

Wait, if you have the powers attributed to the Christian god, then you are Omniscient. If you are Omniscient, you can see all consequences.

But still, you use that last wish. You fool.

That box of kittens will claw you from Heaven and drink from sea's boiling with your blood as fire and ash rain from the skies. You caused this. YOU

Paradox

Post by Paradox »

What about unintended consequences that you CAN forsee.

For example: Having all the powers attributed to the Christian God comes with omniscience

Given that your now omniscient, your personality will change to account for the infinite knowlege you now posess, normal human thought no longer applies, even logic had no meaning to you...

The person you were before no longer exists, your personality and memories are consumed by enternity, and you die, only for a different being to take your place

This is a fairly obvious outcome, and therefore not unforseen.

Also, since the 1st wish is for all FUTURE WISHES, there could be a multitude of unforseen consequences to your 1st wish (simple example: You are unable to make wishes unless you know EXACTLY the outcome, therefore all consequences are then known beforehand)

MeisterKleister

Post by MeisterKleister »

The correct date would actually be 2013-5-1, just sayin'.

Much of the attributes of the Christian god are meaningless or even paradoxical. He is described as omniscient, but yet he doesn't seem to know where Adam is hiding and he gets disappointed by his creation. Disappointment is the not-fulfillment of expectations. He is described as all-loving and perfect and yet he murders and needs worship.
If God is both immortal and omnipotent, can God kill himself?
Last edited by MeisterKleister on Sun May 05, 2013 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Men educated in [the critical habit of thought] … are slow to believe. They can hold things as possible or probable in all degrees, without certainty and without pain." -William Graham Sumner

My Goodreads bookshelf

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

Say it to my face!
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

MeisterKleister

Re: [2013-5-1] Genie Paradox

Post by MeisterKleister »

Sahan wrote:Say it to my face!
Okay, I'll meet you on the roof in 5 minutes. :geek2:
Jewlian wrote:http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db ... 2964#comic
If the genie changes the dude's life then he never meets the genie, which means the genie never changes the guy's life and *brain explode*. Is this some kind of ruse by the genie to destroy the Universe?
Well, this is a variation of the Grandfather paradox, I believe, and it has several proposed solutions.
But I'm guessing the genie would solve all the problems and/or paradoxes with magic, since the whole point, it seems to me, is to make fun of people who claim they wouldn't like to change their past mistakes.

Anyway, I personally think this is only useful if you retain your current memories and only alter your recent past.
"Men educated in [the critical habit of thought] … are slow to believe. They can hold things as possible or probable in all degrees, without certainty and without pain." -William Graham Sumner

My Goodreads bookshelf

Guest5439284

Post by Guest5439284 »

MeisterKleister wrote: Much of the attributes of the Christian god are meaningless or even paradoxical. He is described as omniscient, but yet he doesn't seem to know where Adam is hiding and he gets disappointed by his creation. Disappointment is the not-fulfillment of expectations. He is described as all-loving and perfect and yet he murders and needs worship.
If God is both immortal and omnipotent, can God kill himself?
Your premise of logic is false. A god can defy logic as it is just a mechanism used by man because we are bound to the rules of this unverse. God can kill himself, bear himself, mail himself a bobcat, eat himself, move out of existence and come back all at the same time.

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Unfortunately the argument for god being able to do such things is 'because I said so'.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.