Page 1 of 2

[2016-09-26] Rough Sex

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:32 pm
by Dev Null
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/rough-sex

Please oh please don't let the Internet take this the wrong way.


T-shirt.

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:48 pm
by fulaghee
Gaaaaaayyy

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:45 pm
by kmm
How about software devs? 'I'm going to do you til you SEGFAULT'

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:03 pm
by Someone
It is a little odd how often gay relationships appear on this comic. It's great to be inclusive, but it comes across as trying a little too hard when like over 50% of relationships featured are homosexual. Something like 5% of the American population self-identifies as homosexual or bisexual.

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:42 am
by Someone Else
Someone wrote:It is a little odd how often gay relationships appear on this comic. It's great to be inclusive, but it comes across as trying a little too hard when like over 50% of relationships featured are homosexual. Something like 5% of the American population self-identifies as homosexual or bisexual.

Yes, because comics on the internet are supposed to be perfect representations of our society. Who cares?

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:38 am
by DonRetrasado
Someone wrote:It is a little odd how often gay relationships appear on this comic. It's great to be inclusive, but it comes across as trying a little too hard when like over 50% of relationships featured are homosexual. Something like 5% of the American population self-identifies as homosexual or bisexual.

Do you hate seeing gay people?

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:57 pm
by Another anon
Someone wrote:It is a little odd

Someone wrote:It's great to be inclusive

DonRetrasado wrote:Do you hate seeing gay people?

Are you joking? There's no reason to be so accusatory to a person just voicing an opinion.

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:46 am
by Apocalyptus
There's also no reason to be so accusatory to someone who is just asking a question of a person just voicing opinion.
Do you hate free speech?

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:17 am
by DonRetrasado
Another anon wrote:Are you joking? There's no reason to be so accusatory to a person just voicing an opinion.

I just thought it was strange that they didn't like to see gay people. Maybe they find them immoral, or that they shouldn't exist in media. If that's your opinion, then you probably wouldn't like SMBC.

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:11 pm
by Kit.
Actually, I find that sex between robots and aliens is surprisingly underrepresented. Is Zach xenotechnophobic?

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:34 pm
by DonRetrasado
Kit. wrote:Actually, I find that sex between robots and aliens is surprisingly underrepresented. Is Zach xenotechnophobic?

Apparently that kind of close-minded attitude appeals to some of his readers!

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:00 am
by Kaharz
The robots are stealing our medications!

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:15 pm
by Voice of Raisin
Image

It's a legit observation. No, SMBC doesn't have to reflect reality, but as with all representational art, there's a reasonable expectation that it does--unless the deviation from reality is made explicit and given focus. Normally, when SMBC features absurd or surreal elements their deviation from reality is precisely the point and it's at least part of what makes the comic funny or interesting.

So when Zach makes a huge portion of his couples gay but that ISN'T the joke, it just comes off as trying too hard to be inclusive, a.k.a. virtue signaling ("look how non-homophobic I am"). This is a thought I had a while ago and I'm glad other people did too. Virtue signalling is annoying and gets in the way of the comic.

BTW, it's not weird or wrong for a straight person to be a little repulsed by depictions of gay sex. It's a natural evolved response and it doesn't mean the straight person hates gay people or anything of the sort. If you're looking for witches to burn, the SMBC forum probably isn't the place to find them.

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:29 pm
by DonRetrasado
Image
Spicy as this is, if you're repulsed by this hot hot action, your "natural evolved responses" will probably not make you robust enough to save you from our incredibly gay earth.

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:22 am
by Lethal Interjection
Voice of Raisin wrote:It's a legit observation. No, SMBC doesn't have to reflect reality, but as with all representational art, there's a reasonable expectation that it does--unless the deviation from reality is made explicit and given focus. Normally, when SMBC features absurd or surreal elements their deviation from reality is precisely the point and it's at least part of what makes the comic funny or interesting.

So when Zach makes a huge portion of his couples gay but that ISN'T the joke, it just comes off as trying too hard to be inclusive, a.k.a. virtue signaling ("look how non-homophobic I am"). This is a thought I had a while ago and I'm glad other people did too. Virtue signalling is annoying and gets in the way of the comic.

BTW, it's not weird or wrong for a straight person to be a little repulsed by depictions of gay sex. It's a natural evolved response and it doesn't mean the straight person hates gay people or anything of the sort. If you're looking for witches to burn, the SMBC forum probably isn't the place to find them.


Does it, though? Does making SMBC inclusive, as you say, really get in the way of the comic? Or is it just your brand of normativity that stands in the way of the comic? And maybe it isn't 'weird' that this might prove a distraction but maybe that 'evolved' response isn't really as progressive as you think it is.
I'll agree that that SMBC is probably not best place to find witches to burn, but that doesn't mean that there aren't posters who aren't in need of correction. Because even with Zach's above-average inclusivity, there remain those that call it out with regularity. Witches will always come around. Sometimes they might even suggest that homophobia is a natural evolutionary response.