[2017-12-08] Healthcare

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Re: [2017-12-08] Healthcare

Post by Astrogirl »

You noticed the countries with the more doctors have higher taxes?
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Sizlak Jones

Post by Sizlak Jones »

JosieQ

Post by JosieQ »

I'm late to the party here, but did I miss the part where everyone had a rebellion against the fact that there's a law requiring us to have healthcare?

Because I thought for sure that when that passed, years ago, we'd all rise up against our oppressors.

Everyone seemed to just take that in stride though. Like it was a good idea.

Did I just sleep through uprising, or something?

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Oh yeah, rebel against joining all other industrialized nations regarding basic human decency.

NeatNit
[Insert Here]

Post by NeatNit »

Why is this thread still going?

Geekoid

Post by Geekoid »

JosieQ wrote:I'm late to the party here, but did I miss the part where everyone had a rebellion against the fact that there's a law requiring us to have healthcare?

Because I thought for sure that when that passed, years ago, we'd all rise up against our oppressors.

Everyone seemed to just take that in stride though. Like it was a good idea.

Did I just sleep through uprising, or something?

What? The congress passed a law requiring people to pay for health care.

in 1790 ships over 150 ton were mandated to carry medical supplies.

https://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?c ... recNum=257

then in 1792 congress passed a law forcing men to a mandatory purchase if firearms.
https://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?c ... recNum=394

in 1798 congress expanded the health care law so ship owner had to pay 20 cents, per month to the port. funds to be used for the healthcare of seaman. That cost was withheld form the sailors pay.

https://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?c ... recNum=728

This sort of thing is, and always has been, part of America.

LPT: read a book.

You aren't being oppressed. Unless you are an immigrant.

JosieQ

Post by JosieQ »

Astrogirl wrote:Oh yeah, rebel against joining all other industrialized nations regarding basic human decency.
Requiring people, by law, to purchase a product is basic human decency?

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

JosieQ wrote:
Astrogirl wrote:Oh yeah, rebel against joining all other industrialized nations regarding basic human decency.
Requiring people, by law, to purchase a product is basic human decency?
The problem is already that you consider healthcare to be a product.

JosieQ.

Post by JosieQ. »

Insurance is a product. Pay attention.

JosieQ.

Post by JosieQ. »

I'm sorry, I see that I originally used the word "healthcare" which is less precise than the "insurance" I am talking about.

What worries me now is that you took healthcare to mean HEALTHCARE, and you think that Americans are now under legal obligation to go to doctors when they are sick? I mean because if you're not talking about insurance, that's what healthcare is, getting care for your health. And you seem to be arguing for this idea, forced care? Surely I'm misunderstanding? (Side-note: Healthcare in the sense of going to doctors for treatment IS a business, it's a product.)

Anyway, the important thing is I'm talking about the fact that we are required by law to carry insurance, which is a violation of freedom.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

I see, you are arguing that health insurance companies should be abolished and healthcare should be paid for by taxes (like in the UK and Canadia). Yes, that's a good idea. In the US the slogan for this is "Medicare for all" as far as I am aware.

Are you also against mandatory car insurance? Being required to buy and install smoke detectors? Mandatory converter in your car?

JosieQ.

Post by JosieQ. »

What. You think that because I said being required by law to purchase health insurance is wrong, that the insurance companies should be abolished?

I feel like I'm being trolled. Is this for real? Surely you're not serious?

Kit.

Post by Kit. »

JosieQ. wrote:I feel like I'm being trolled. Is this for real? Surely you're not serious?
That's probably a mirror.

I mean, it's not like you are really not understanding that "health insurance" is an oxymoron, aren't you?

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

JosieQ. wrote:What. You think that because I said being required by law to purchase health insurance is wrong, that the insurance companies should be abolished?

I feel like I'm being trolled. Is this for real? Surely you're not serious?
You said that the problem is that you are legally forced to buy a product. So if it's not a product anymore then the problem is solved, right? What is your problem with it then? Is it that you hate poor people and like to see them suffer and die?

No, I did not seriously think you are supporting single payer / Medicare for all, I intentionally misinterpreted what you wrote as such, it was too tempting. Did you seriously think I believed that, LOL? I don't think I've made a more obvious joke. I think you're a poor-people-hating libertarian a.k.a. the people who will burn in the first circle of hell.

JosieQ.

Post by JosieQ. »

You're so weirdly, unnecessarily hostile. Especially since poor people are the ones who suffer when FORCED to buy something, not rich people. I'm obviously on the side of FREEDOM and people KEEPING THEIR MONEY, not taking from the poor. Forcing people to buy a product does not help the poor. They have to buy it too.

I really can't figure out what you're even trying to say, because you're so bad at saying it. Maybe you should stop being unreasonably snarky for a second and actually explain your point of view. Because right now, you once again seem to be confusing insurance with healthcare. Like you think I said the poor don't deserve healthcare? Or something?

You're obviously either confused, or you actually think forcing people to buy something somehow helps the poor? Are you confusing forced-insurance with taxes that go to welfare? Only taking wild shots in the dark here, because you're all over the place and make no sense. I feel like you're either incredibly stupid, like incredibly, or you're having an argument with me that is an extension of one you had with someone else and bringing in shit I never thought nor said. Because every time you reply, it reads like you're talking to someone else.

So yeah starting from scratch: Not saying anything about taxes, or healthcare, or killing the poor. Only saying that passing a law that makes someone buy something is wrong.

@Kit:

Nice insult, but you forgot to make a point.