It's called the Secretary Problem

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

shanen

It's called the Secretary Problem

Post by shanen »

The comic is https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/percent

The mathematics is called the Secretary Problem. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretary_problem for reference. I was just looking at it because I wanted to figure out the probability that you wind up with #2 or #3 or some other lower ranked choice. Obviously #2 is much less than 37%, but how much less?

There are two solution approaches. I can't remember the direct analytic solution, but the other approach is based on permutations. For example, it is (if I remember correctly) also true that the #1 choice is within the first n/e choices 1/e percent of the time (again about 37%), in which case you are screwed and cannot get #1 since you discarded those candidates. that leaves 63% to be tested, but you subtract the 37% for success at #1, which leaves about 26%. The cases in that 26% where you are going to get the #2 option are the permutations where #2 was not in the first n/e but appears before #1 in the remainder. Basically the same for #3 and down.

So does anyone know the solution?

tao

Re: It's called the Secretary Problem

Post by tao »

Off-topic to what you wrote, but related to this comic:
Tim Minchin's song "If I didn't have you"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn6gV2sdl38

cellocgw

Post by cellocgw »

The way I was told it, the solution to the Secretary Problem is always:

Hire the one with the biggest boobs.

Boy were workplaces toxically sexist back then. Yes, worse than today.

nytimes

Post by nytimes »

Surely you only know New York as a place of America, right? But now there is one more great game genre that you should experience: nytimes crossword

josefkyce

Post by josefkyce »

Great post. The particular submit has an effect on plenty of important difficulties individuals community. We all can't be uninvolved to be able to these kinds of difficulties. This kind of submit offers guidelines and also principles. Extremely useful and also sensible. Fitness trainer nutrition coach Winter Park fl

josefkyce

Post by josefkyce »

So i'm certainly very happy acquire this url and even made like analyzing invaluable articles and reviews released these. That options belonging to the novelist is remarkable, bless you in the have. skinoren

josefkyce

Post by josefkyce »

I simply believed it might be a concept to publish in case other people had been having issues studying however I'm just a little uncertain basically 'm permitted to place titles as well as handles upon right here. Website Marketing Agency Bali

josefkyce

Post by josefkyce »

it is really fine together with meanful. it is really amazing webpage. Back linking may be very important idea. you will have extremely improved lots of individuals what person see webpage and provides him or her usefull material. Find Jobs with KerBer

josefkyce

Post by josefkyce »

That can feel great to learn these kinds of useful and also special posts on your own sites. wow shaman sets

josefkyce

Post by josefkyce »

Discount put up, Regards for the purpose of showing This unique practical knowledge. Excellently crafted piece of writing, if perhaps virtually all web guru proposed an identical standard of articles and other content whenever you, the on-line world will be more effective destination. Why not keep writing! acid

aaa

Post by aaa »

I was surfing net and fortunately came across this site and found very interesting stuff here. Its really fun to read. I enjoyed a lot. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information. ทางเข้าUFABET

kaivon

Post by kaivon »

Used to do like analyzing articles and reviews released on this web site. They are really spectacular and allows a whole lot of invaluable tips. cab주소는?

kaivon

Post by kaivon »

When i stunned while using the research people meant to makes unique post awesome. Superb pastime! ufabet168

kaivon

Post by kaivon »

In reality That i look over it all not long ago however , I saw it certain thinkings about that and after this I want to read the paper it all for a second time given that it's well written. ufa

kaivon

Post by kaivon »

Genuinely reliable, wonderful, fact-filled data below. Your current blogposts Do not ever let down, knowning that surely holds true below also. Anyone often create a unique go through. Could you explain to I am just satisfied?: )#) Carry on the fantastic content. สมัครคาสิโนดีใจ