[2021-05-14] Shit

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

neminem

[2021-05-14] Shit

Post by neminem »

Apparently I created an account on this forum in 2012, but have never posted anything! But this one is forcing me to!

I'm assuming this comic was inspired by the well-known "buffalo" fact (that any sequence of just the word "buffalo" is a syntactically correct English sentence)? Anyway, years ago, someone pointed out that there were exactly two other words like that, "fish" and "people", thus, for instance, "people buffalo buffalo fish people buffalo buffalo people" is syntactically correct (whether or not it makes semantic sense, obviously). Never noticed there was a swearier version! Now I can say "shit shit shit shit shit shit shit", and in addition to being a completely accurate description of what the past year has been like, also say truthfully that it's a syntactically correct sentence! (Again, only syntactically. To my knowledge, shit can't shit, and if you're describing a person or people using the nominalized adjective, you'd have to call them "a shit" or "shits", sadly.)

I also recognize that it is exceedingly ironic that my first post absolutely breaks rule #8 of this forum, but I'm assuming, given the topic of the comic in question, that that's probably acceptable in this case? (Also, "shit" doesn't even look like a word now.)

beep

Re: [2021-05-14] Shit

Post by beep »

In Tom Wolfe's book, "I Am Charlotte Simmons", he has a fairly lengthy paragraph on showing the various way college students use the word fuck. Later on he has an even longer paragraph doing the same for shit.

RyanW

Post by RyanW »

Does anyone else think this is starting to sound like the 'person man woman camera TV' test, but for people with very limited vocabulary?
"Most of the quotes you read on the internet are misattributed." - George Washington

neminem

Post by neminem »

RyanW wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 4:53 am
Does anyone else think this is starting to sound like the 'person man woman camera TV' test, but for people with very limited vocabulary?
Ha. You want "very limited vocabulary", I strongly recommend the one chapter in the great novel Hyperion (though the quartet as a whole I found went downhill after the first book, sadly), in which one character describes what it was like living with such, for a while - which, in the interest of not actually getting in trouble for swearing, given the extremely salty language used (there are literally two words I feel uncomfortable using even if I'm quoting someone else - one is a racial slur, the other, a denigration of women via a particular body part, is the word in question in this particular amazing quote), allow me to instead link to someone else who, thankfully, reproduced the entire amazing quote years ago in a reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/printSF/commen ... irst_read/

Though I will say, while that's one of my favorite excerpts from that book, there were certainly other quotes I feel could fight for best quote alongside it, such as this other choice s-bomb:
He had been trained to use high-energy weapons with a killing range of a few meters to thousands of kilometers. He had been rated in plasma grenades, hellwhips, fleschette rifles, sonics, recoilless zero-gravity weapons, deathwands, kinetic assault guns, and beam gauntlets. He now had a working knowledge of an English longbow. None of these objects - including the longbow - was on his person at the moment.
'Aw, shit,' murmured Second Lieutenant Kassad.

mrfiddles

Post by mrfiddles »

Ok, help, I just don't see it and I feel like I'm staring at a hidden eye poster.

(Oh )Shit, shit(ty) shit(noun) shit(verb) shit(ty) shit(noun) = 6 shits

where's the 7th go?

neminem

Post by neminem »

The Buffalo example: Buffalo buffalo (that is, buffalo from Buffalo) [who] buffalo [other] Buffalo buffalo [in turn] buffalo [other] Buffalo buffalo. See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_b ... lo_buffalo

The equivalent shit example, spelled out: shit shit (that is, literally crappy shit) [that was] shit [by other] shit shit [in turn] shit [other] shit shit. So that's 8. Or I guess nine, if you toss on the expletive. :D

Love

Post by Love »

Hi folks! Do you know what are the best racing games for pc? I am looking for a website where I can download the full version and game detail, you guys might know where I can find it. Someone told me that I can find the game here, but almost an hour now when I started to find it, but I can't find it here. Maybe you know other links or websites or forum games that I check on? Please let me know. Thanks

the cat

Post by the cat »

In addition to the details provided here trap the cat, I'll also introduce you online. This is a very nice list of the games I've played, which includes some of my all-time favorites and most well-known titles. another subject. Different games that I bet you'll like.