Nanowrimo 2013

But what happens next?

Moderator: Kimra

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Re: Nanowrimo 2013

Post by Kimra »

A little over a week away now! You know you want to do it! You know it!
King Prawn

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

I have constantly failed NaNoWri Month. Even the previous five years' accumulated writing probably wouldn't make 50,000 words. Hell, the furthest I got was 17,000 in 2011, and then in 2012 I did one o' them choose your own adventures, and the story grew organically based on the participants' wishes, which was really fun! But by mid December, I had only reached 16,000 words. No-one's good enough at maths to know what the combined words of those two are, but I'm guessing it's not 50,000.

[some time has passed]

Ok, here's a list of all NaNo Writing Mo's I have attempted:
  1. 2008: The Tale of Toller Jacks. A fantastical yarn set in the desert of an unmapped fantasy world. In terms of technological development, this world had reached the Age of Cannon, but gunpowder knowledge was still in its infancy, so for the most part people still fought with swords 'n' sandals. Stopped around the ~13,000 mark. Composed mainly on my ex-wife's laptop, so irrecoverable.
  2. 2009: Afya. Apparently I got quite far with this one, but I can't remember anything about it...! The only evidence of its existence is a forum post from 2009:
    My heroine protagonist's name is Afya (pronounced Afya). Now I have the complex part out of the way, the easy steps: sentence one: "Deer should totally love me" ejaculated Afya, violently peeling the skin off a plum with her serrated elbone.
    Vague memories of writing this on a now-broken laptop running Windows '98 seem to resonate my memory glans.
  3. 2010: Abkhazia. Not sure I got too far with this one either? Can't remember a thing about it, except having an idea of what would have happened if Celtic/Scot mythology spread across Russia and Asia in the way that Christianity and Islam did half a millennium later.
  4. 2011: As Yet Untitled, But I've Totally Started It So There. "Dragons (perhaps). In Africa. In 1944. Seriously." is what I wrote on my Na Novel WriMo page, but it's the one I posted on this forum
  5. 2012: Eastern Winds. I loved this one. It was a standard broadswords-and-tankards fantasy, sans orcs and elves, where the end of each chapter had up to three choices, and relied on the tyranny of the majority to vote. I might just continue it for 2013.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

I generally make the commitment and try to do this but it almost always interferes with the time of the year I am most stressed about school, so I'm not going to participate this year and maybe it'll get done this way (it won't).
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I make the commitment and then don't do shit.

I'm not going to make a commitment this year, but I'm going to try to write something. I might share it.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I just like to encourage everyone to try. Yoda is a douche, and there is a try! Beside this isn't the force. This isn't good vs. evil. It's just about doing it for fun or as a challenge (the same thing to me).

I don't know what I'm saying. Mostly congratulations for doing so well in previous years. No matter how you dismiss them that's words you might not have written if you hadn't done Nano. So that's awesome. How can that be anything but awesome?
King Prawn

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Nano starts tomorrow (for me), and possibly the day after for all of you folks. That's pretty darn soon.

Are you playing the Nano game?

Remember: Doing Nano makes you cool.
King Prawn

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

THE NANO IS ON.
In half an hour.
For me.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

*does the nano dance*
Nano Nano Nano!
King Prawn

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Quiet in here.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I'm doing essays! I'm gonna be in here like an awesome leader of the people* about mid November when I'm not dying under essay word counts. *sigh*

*That's what I am... right?
King Prawn

Jiro
Carbon copy

Post by Jiro »

Writing a compilation of short stories with a friend. We're uh, both struggling now. Ideas are thinning out already. Little bit frightening. I don't want to LOSE

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Jiro wrote:Writing a compilation of short stories with a friend. We're uh, both struggling now. Ideas are thinning out already. Little bit frightening. I don't want to LOSE
Wow. Haven't seen you in... ages.

You have plenty of time to catch up. You should do a brainstorming session with your friend. Also remember not all the stories have to be brilliant. Just get some words on the page. There's lots of random plot generators around. And also you can go to TV Tropes and just hit random until one inspires you. *does this a lot*

You can do it! :D
King Prawn

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

I have no new ideas for stories this year.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Narry a one?
King Prawn

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Your encouragement to others is, I hesitate to say, kinda inspiring.

Maybe I'll try a short story or two.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.