Favorite Book nobody you know has heard of?

We've read at least one, and we'll prove it!
Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Re: Favorite Book nobody you know has heard of?

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Kaharz wrote:
Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:"Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" is a quite good (and quite long) book. It was very well-reviewed, but I've never spoken to anyone that's read it. It's a sort of fantasized retelling of turn of the 20th C Britain.
I found that book to be almost intolerable. It nearly became one of the few books I haven't finished and never plan to. I liked the little asides and footnotes that added to the lore, but the main story was boring as hell and the characters were uninteresting and unsympathetic in my opinion. I've only known two other people who have finished it. One of them felt the same as me, the other raved about it. So I guess it is a matter of taste.
It took me a little bit, but I really enjoy long books. The SMBC about Catch-22 was amusing, but I didn't find it to drag on overmuch. I read Moby Dick over the summer. Once I got past the cachet that comes with "Oh shit, I'm reading Moby Dick" I actually enjoyed it. I've heard people say couple times that the universe created within a novel is just as or more important than the story itself - I think JS and Mr. N fits that model along with LotR and Dune.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

I enjoy what I enjoy, whether the book is long or short. I've read books pushing 1000 pages in two days before because they kept my attention. I've spend weeks reading books half that length because they didn't. I didn't think Catch 22 drug at all and it is not that long. I've read it three times now. I guess Zach just found it tedious.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

The point is that at least two people have heard of AND read it. Try again. : )
King Prawn

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Kimra wrote:The point is that at least two people have heard of AND read it. Try again. : )
Now that's the problem with this thread. The second you post the content no longer is true to the topic. I have several examples, but I can't bring myself to post them for fear that my brain would explode.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Brains are overrated.
King Prawn

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Kimra wrote:Brains are overrated.
They are just for cooling the blood. I'm sure modern medicine could come up with some contraption to replace them.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

Just going to drop in and say Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell is a fantastic book

Carbon Out
Apocalyptus wrote: Nothing can beat the image of mouth muffling breast implants.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Killing Mister Watson

It's a somewhat fictionalized account of real events around the turn of the 19th-20th century in southern Florida. I have a sense of deja vu posting this, but it's really good so you guys should read it. The depiction of the lives of the early settlers of the coast around the Everglades is fascinating. Definitely getting the feeling that I've already posted this.

Read it!

e: did a search, apparently I haven't shared it before!
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

JosephineTerry1

Post by JosephineTerry1 »

My favorite and unknown among of all my friends is Robert Salvatore. I hope that you guys have heard about him. When I finished reading all WarCraft books, including additional books from fans apart from the original stories I wanted to find something similar to WarCraft. I've looked through a lot of writers and finally have come to Salvatore. I immediately fell in love with those stories where the same elves and orcs which I adore so much were. Assasin's Creed helped me to pass my History exams but Salvatore helped me a lot with my future career. When I was starving in the university and counting few coins in my wallet, a writing talent has woke up. Inspired by Salvatore I was writing different stories and trying to sell them. I sent one of them to the https://www.paperhelp.org/assignment/wr ... gment.html and they not only paid me but hired me as a full-time writer. Now I am the professional editor and my whole story has started with Salvatore's books.

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

Children of Blood and Bone
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...