Harry Potter Series

We've read at least one, and we'll prove it!
User avatar
RaxoZellet
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:51 am
Contact:

Harry Potter Series

Post by RaxoZellet »

I've read them all and liked them as mindless fun.

What do you all think of these books? If have read them.
Rated G

User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
Posts: 8051
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!
Contact:

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I've had no real interest. Someday I will probably read them, but for now I just don't care.

User avatar
TwoBuy
Clinically Casbah Rockin'
Posts: 2172
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:15 am
Location: Pimpin' (It's a location if you're doing it right)
Contact:

Post by TwoBuy »

Lethal Interjection wrote:I've had no real interest. Someday I will probably read them, but for now I just don't care.
Seconded! Although I find great delight in tormenting my friends (ALL of whom have read the books to completion) by insisting that I will one day read the series so they are not allowed to talk about it around me, lest they spoil a surprise. You'd be surprised how often this actually comes up.
Stories from 19-yo mistresses
Hey girl whats up
A drunk driver hit my blind, 12-yo sister on her way home from school. Im @ the funeral
hahaha
That wasnt a joke dick-hole
Oh
Sooooo... my gf will be out of town Wednesday. U gunna be back by then?

User avatar
ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite
Posts: 1929
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:58 pm
Location: true... wait, false!
Contact:

Post by ruotwocone »

i also enjoyed them as mindless fun. plus having magic around as a convenient way to tie up any plot holes (which are bound to arise in a 7 book series) works out great.

"Um, didn't that guy die like last year or something?"
"Yeah, he did, but he's back... magic!"
"But..."
"MAGIC!!!!"

User avatar
HARDKORE
The Heavy
Posts: 579
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:32 pm
Location: The mirror world

Post by HARDKORE »

I liked them. What she announced after the last one came out was a shocker to everyone.

User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
Posts: 8051
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!
Contact:

Post by Lethal Interjection »

HARDKORE wrote:I liked them. What she announced after the last one came out was a shocker to everyone.
Don't even get me started about that. That is the most ridiculous NONSENSE I have ever heard. If you are going to make your character gay, make him gay. Going back and changing your character after the series is completed is crap.
A move like that RUINS fiction, in my opinion. She might drop subtle hints that he was gay, and let literature students stew on that for decades, but to both include the hints* and her telling folks in a press conference or whathaveyou, just smacks of ridiculousness.** It actually seemed a bit like press whoring, actually.
It's like if Ian Fleming came forward on his deathbed and stated that Bond was actually a crossdresser. And that he didn't just decide to hide it from his coworkers and family, but from those reading the books, too.
You know, he was afraid of the persecution.

*I'm not even sure that these exist. For all I know Miss Rowling was just so moved by Brokeback Mountain she wished she had made a character gay.
**Actually, it really reminds me of fan fiction. And I hate fan fiction. She seemed to be slotting in some irrelevant side-plot, which is classic fan fiction.

User avatar
ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite
Posts: 1929
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:58 pm
Location: true... wait, false!
Contact:

Post by ruotwocone »

Lethal Interjection wrote:Don't even get me started about that. That is the most ridiculous NONSENSE I have ever heard. If you are going to make your character gay, make him gay. Going back and changing your character after the series is completed is crap.
A move like that RUINS fiction, in my opinion. She might drop subtle hints that he was gay, and let literature students stew on that for decades, but to both include the hints and her telling folks in a press conference or whathaveyou, just smacks of ridiculousness. It actually seemed a bit like press whoring, actually.
It's like if Ian Fleming came forward on his deathbed and stated that Bond was actually a crossdresser. And that he didn't just decide to hide it from his coworkers and family, but from those reading the books, too.
You know, he was afraid of the persecution.
they're her books and she can make up whatever crap about them she wants. Tolkien constantly made up all sorts of backstories, etc. about his world and nobody got pissed off at him for it. Was she press-whoring, probably, but she's been doing that since she first got famous. Self promotion is how you sell.

User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
Posts: 8051
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!
Contact:

Post by Lethal Interjection »

ruotwocone wrote:they're her books and she can make up whatever crap about them she wants. Tolkien constantly made up all sorts of backstories, etc. about his world and nobody got pissed off at him for it. Was she press-whoring, probably, but she's been doing that since she first got famous. Self promotion is how you sell.
Yeah, but with Tolkien, they were published, I believe.
It is probably that I am too influenced by the postmodern ideas of literature, and that's why I object. In that once a book is published it is no longer the author's, but the reader's.

User avatar
TwoBuy
Clinically Casbah Rockin'
Posts: 2172
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:15 am
Location: Pimpin' (It's a location if you're doing it right)
Contact:

Post by TwoBuy »

Lethal Interjection wrote:In that once a book is published it is no longer the author's, but the reader's.
Yeah, HAN SHOT FIRST!
Stories from 19-yo mistresses
Hey girl whats up
A drunk driver hit my blind, 12-yo sister on her way home from school. Im @ the funeral
hahaha
That wasnt a joke dick-hole
Oh
Sooooo... my gf will be out of town Wednesday. U gunna be back by then?

User avatar
ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite
Posts: 1929
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:58 pm
Location: true... wait, false!
Contact:

Post by ruotwocone »

TwoBuy wrote:Yeah, HAN SHOT FIRST!
technically, you are correct as Han is the only one who shoots at all. in the updated version, greedo actually shoots first, but not in the original.

User avatar
TwoBuy
Clinically Casbah Rockin'
Posts: 2172
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:15 am
Location: Pimpin' (It's a location if you're doing it right)
Contact:

Post by TwoBuy »

ruotwocone wrote:technically, you are correct as Han is the only one who shoots at all. in the updated version, greedo actually shoots first, but not in the original.
Are you retarded? Did you see that my comment was in regards to artist changing their works after-the-fact. Obviously I am reflecting on the similarities of Lucas changing Han Solo and the Gay Potter thing and how artists making changes like that is outrageous.
Stories from 19-yo mistresses
Hey girl whats up
A drunk driver hit my blind, 12-yo sister on her way home from school. Im @ the funeral
hahaha
That wasnt a joke dick-hole
Oh
Sooooo... my gf will be out of town Wednesday. U gunna be back by then?

User avatar
Frostbite
I dunno.
Posts: 2611
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:34 am
Location: Avoiding the zombie hordes.
Contact:

Post by Frostbite »

There weren't ever any hints he was gay, I think she just decided he should be gay because its the way she rolls. I dunno, but it makes me giggle like a school girl because I can say things like "Yeah I wonder why Potter enjoyed his office so much."

User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
Posts: 8051
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!
Contact:

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Frostbite wrote:There weren't ever any hints he was gay, I think she just decided he should be gay because its the way she rolls. I dunno, but it makes me giggle like a school girl because I can say things like "Yeah I wonder why Potter enjoyed his office so much."
He probably hoped to someday be on his teaching staff.

User avatar
Lottel
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:27 am
Location: Slightly to the Left of his Right
Contact:

Post by Lottel »

Gah. I've read them all. Had to. I work at a book store. They'd kill me if I didn't. Not my coworkers, but the customers. And not the kids either. The creepy parents who get to into it. And even worse, the creepy 40 some guy with no kids.

But yeah. Press whore. So what? In her next book, she'll probably talk about something gay and add in Dumbledore's name.

And yes, she will write more books. And yes Harry will be in them. Not as a main, but she will write in his world, so his name will come up.
How DARE you bring joy and laughter to the smiling faces of children everywhere. Purveyors of hope and all that is pure in the world, DIE DIE DIE!!

User avatar
ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite
Posts: 1929
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:58 pm
Location: true... wait, false!
Contact:

Post by ruotwocone »

Frostbite wrote:There weren't ever any hints he was gay, I think she just decided he should be gay because its the way she rolls.
what do you mean no hints!? he was a never-married man over 30 in touch with his feelings who happened to be "super best friends" with some guy for a summer in his youth. he's a poster child for closeted homosexuals everywhere. What more do you want?

Post Reply