Works of Staggering Fiction

We've read at least one, and we'll prove it!
Frostbite
I dunno.

Re: Works of Staggering Fiction

Post by Frostbite »

Gulliver's Travels is kind of terrible, as is Dr. Zhivago. Those are the two books that I never finished in high school.
Doin' podcasts before they were cool.

Maelstrom75

Post by Maelstrom75 »

Last year in English we read Catcher in the Rye. I almost vomited. And what made it worse is that everyone else loved it.
"Oh, it's the first of it's kind!"
No. It's a book with dirty language. Shut the @&#$ up.
The Man in Black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed.

cheez.wiz
Human-based Product

Post by cheez.wiz »

Maelstrom75 wrote: No. It's a book with dirty language. Shut the @&#$ up.
Ironic.

Postcount++
bird bird bird, bird is a word, b-b-b-b-bird oh yeah bird is a word, bird bird bird

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Yeah, it's like "I know the main character is crazy and all, but that doesn't excuse nonsensical writing."
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

TwoBuy
Clinically Casbah Rockin'

Post by TwoBuy »

catcher in the rye is a tricky book. You have to read it at exactly that time in your life when you're having your first true identity crisis (which happens to most kids in high school). If you read it during that time, it's brilliant. If not, it sucks.
Stories from 19-yo mistresses
Hey girl whats up
A drunk driver hit my blind, 12-yo sister on her way home from school. Im @ the funeral
hahaha
That wasnt a joke dick-hole
Oh
Sooooo... my gf will be out of town Wednesday. U gunna be back by then?

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

TwoBuy wrote:catcher in the rye is a tricky book. You have to read it at exactly that time in your life when you're having your first true identity crisis (which happens to most kids in high school). If you read it during that time, it's brilliant. If not, it sucks.
I've got to ask, does it apply if you keep having them every so often?

Honestly reading over the thread has just made me glad I skipped most of Highschool english's required reading. Not that I haven't read them, I just never had to for class. Most of my experiences with the highschool reading list were the fact I TAed in the english department so they'd just be laying around, I'd pick 'em up read them on my own time and not have to worry about doing the stupid assignments attached. I'm the only person I know who enjoyed the Joy Luck Club, I think two facts are related. Literature is far more enjoyable when your not being yelled at to read it.
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches

Jesster
Clearly not funny

Post by Jesster »

Here is something you have to read. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.

I've yet to find a book that changes how I view literature as much as that book did.
"Moloch was drawn from memory, and is aware how crappy his face looks."

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

Jesster wrote:Here is something you have to read. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.

I've yet to find a book that changes how I view literature as much as that book did.
Someone in my dnd group is planning to loan me that. I seriously doubt it can be as much as a mind fuck as illuminatus was.. but I don't think you can read all the way through that thing and Not come out different on the other side. Not literature as much as interaction, people, ectra.

I'm both looking forward and somewhat in horror of house of leaves.. we'll find out once I've read it.

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

One of the best books I have ever read has to be 1984. In my incredibly not humble opinion, everyone should read that book at least once.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

I have, and it was really good. However, I prefer "Brave New World" by Huxley, and not just because it's also the name of a Motorhead song!
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

I loved the start of Brave new world then just felt like it failed to deliever. 1984 filled me with a joy I can't describe. Especially New Speak. Doubleplusgood!

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

Brave New World is pretty amazing. Dystopian (dystopic? I dunno, you get the idea) fiction in general is amazing, but 1984 is king.

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

Asherian wrote:I loved the start of Brave new world then just felt like it failed to deliever. 1984 filled me with a joy I can't describe. Especially New Speak. Doubleplusgood!
Gasp. This book intellectually aroused me. I might have mentioned this, but still. How can we wage war when we both enjoy this! Gah!

Also, I haven't read some of the stuff you guys have been mentioning. Not sure if I'm missing out.

If you think it's Omega Stellar quality, mind at least saying alittle bit about it to hook my interest? Only if you think it's awesome enough for me to go out and get, or if you feel I'd be better off having read it.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

This discussion is just making me more and more want to read the dystopian literature of old. Farenheit 451, 1984, Brave New World, even Animal Farm. I haven't read any of them since high school. Actually, I did a paper on Brave New World, Shelley's Frankenstein and the movie Gattaca talking about the prognostications from literature/arts regarding the genome project (and genetic manipulation). It was a sweet paper.

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

That seemed like an incredibly intelligent post to me, until I read Gattaca and my mind wandered to that olden days arcade game, Galactica or something like that. Good game.

Edit: As mountainmage said, it was Galaga.
Last edited by Frostbite on Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.