Sherlock Holmes

We've read at least one, and we'll prove it!
Rayler

Sherlock Holmes

Post by Rayler »

Has anyone read Sherlock Holmes, and if so, what are your opinions of it?

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by mountainmage »

Yes, I'm not normally a fan of mystery, but Sherlock Holmes was a fun read.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I haven't read any. My former roomate got the anthology of them last year, I believe. I'm just not all that interested.

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

I had to read "The Hound of the Baskerville" for school years and years ago. I don't remember much about it, but I do remember it was fairly mediocre. I just didn't find it altogether that interesting.
Doin' podcasts before they were cool.

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

I'm not sure if I read authentic sherloc holmes, or perhaps an excerpt, or a short story form, but I've indulged in the series a bit.

Some guys tried to rob the office of the world's most brilliant fictional detective since and including batman, and get away with it? Heck, turns out they were hiding in one of his secret passages for most of the story.

Even for such a small passage, it was very witty. Sherlock Holmes made exposition what it is today. Velma would not explain the crime at the end of the episodes if not for him. It would just be a show about stoners who are fucked up enough to run away from a dude in a sheet and think for a moment it would be a real ghost. (I hear sherlock holmes wouldn't just shoot the bastards either, but I've also seen Sherlock Holmes in the 22 century)
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

I read one where diamond thieves had hidden their stash in a thanksgiving turkey, and Sherlock had to deduce which turkey it was using his brilliant logic.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

I'm not to big a fan of mystery, but I do love Sherlock Holmes. Mostly for Doyle's just amazing writing style. The characters are amazing, though stopping to think of it I can't recall the name of any of the stories I've read of it. (shame)
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches

ZachWeiner
Iron Chef Texas

Post by ZachWeiner »

Sherlock Holmes is excellent and I think "Hound of the Baskervilles" is probably the opus of that series.

I've read every book except the final collection, which I dread. Not only is it the only one remaining for me, but it's also supposed to be easily the worst.

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

You should have started with it.

Fulucy055

the bitterest of the bitter

Post by Fulucy055 »

if you wish to be the best man, you must suffer the bitterest of the bitter.

Information on the cheapest place to buy your Final Fantasy XI Gil. Never over pay for your FFXI GIL again. Top currency FFXI Gil service providers listed showing final fantasy gil, We work hard to offer the lowest prices of warcraft gold, buy wow power leveling cheap wow gold here.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Euclidthegreek
Fisty McGee

Is Sherlock Holmes gay?

Post by Euclidthegreek »

Is Sherlock Holmes gay? This a topic that has been subject to some debate in my circles. What do you think? Try to stick to the actual books and short stories rather than other media adaptations if you can.
Edminster wrote:I'm starting to think Euclid lives in the past.

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

He has many neurosi, which is the signature of a brilliant mind. We also know that many geniuses of past and present have had many quirks. Some as simple as ADHD or dyslexia, blah blah blah. Many scientists that have made break throughs can be said to have been nearly insanely obsessed. Sherlock Holmes is barely functional, and many geniuses are as well. Ghandi was a pervert, having women sleep naked with him to test his Sadness and loneliness. Poe was troubled. Einstein was dyslexic and could spend up to a year finding a single miscalculation in a formula proof on paper. A single error.

Now, I firmly believe that his behavior is not simply easily written off as being a homosexual. There is a very unique dynamic between the two, but there is no indication that there is any romantic feelings between them. Those that want to see a homosexual relationship there will see it, just like people who read twilight think it's a good book. I have nothing against a homosexual character, but he simply isn't. Harry Potter writter ended her series with Dumbledore dead, and after her final book was published, she announced he was gay. The 7th book goes into intensive detail to examine his life, and he never did anything gay. A character only exists withing it's medium, so if it is not gay within the medium he or she simply is not. No amount of analysis can prove it.

Sherlock has problems, yes, but the way he differs from others is partly to blame for his genius. Or it can be said his genius is the reason he differs. Ignoring the fact that the author probably wasn't gay himself or even pro gay, it just isn't there. Societal relations between men over a century ago can make their relationship seem non hetero, but it's wrong to judge people because of these differences.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

I agree that being gay probably wasn't part of Sherlock Holmes' original character design, but I've been having a similar debate to this lately with other people* and my personal opinion is that when you right a book, or make a movie, etc., you're characters belong to the public, and from that moment become a matter of individual interpretation. Yes, Sherlock Holmes probably wasn't originally written as gay, but you have the right to interpret that character however you want, and if in your own personal cannon you want him to be gay, then I see no reason why he shouldn't be. Of course it goes both ways, if you see him as straight, then I see no problem with that as well.
AHMETxRock wrote: Now, I firmly believe that his behavior is not simply easily written off as being a homosexual. There is a very unique dynamic between the two, but there is no indication that there is any romantic feelings between them. Those that want to see a homosexual relationship there will see it, just like people who read twilight think it's a good book. I have nothing against a homosexual character, but he simply isn't. Harry Potter writter ended her series with Dumbledore dead, and after her final book was published, she announced he was gay. The 7th book goes into intensive detail to examine his life, and he never did anything gay. A character only exists withing it's medium, so if it is not gay within the medium he or she simply is not. No amount of analysis can prove it.
The only issue I take with this argument is that you're saying that straight is the default sexuality. If the character isn't given any romantic interests or anything like that, that doesn't mean he or she's straight, it means he or she was never given a romantic interest. But otherwise I do agree with the Dumbledore thing, I still think Rowling could have taken that a bit further.

*An English scholar recently published a paper theorizing that Anne from Anne of Green Gables had fetal alcohol syndrome.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

AHMETxRock wrote:Societal relations between men over a century ago can make their relationship seem non hetero
Non-hetero as compared to modern social relationships, yeah.
smiley_cow wrote:The only issue I take with this argument is that you're saying that straight is the default sexuality.
Whether you want to see it or not, heterosexual is the default for written work from way back when. You cannot cannot cannot look at things written during a different era and assume that the worldview is identical to ours; believing otherwise leads to an incomplete understanding at best and a total distortion of the underlying themes at worst.

It's exactly like the claims that Einstein was Dyslexic. People look at a few completely understandable errors he made and blow them all out of proportion into a post-mortem diagnosis, because they cannot tolerate an icon being an actual regular human being who makes actual regular human mistakes. No, the person in question is either absolutely perfect or an heroic example of overcoming handicaps; nothing else can let the people idolise that individual without making them feel as if they are wasting their potential.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud