Works of Astounding Science-Fiction

We've read at least one, and we'll prove it!
LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Re: Works of Astounding Science-Fiction

Post by LordRetard »

Hey, if people start using fossil words again, then that's no problem, because then it will be a part of the language again. Not my problem.

Can you imagine how hard it is to read anything when you're constantly picking out language phenomena that you had to learn for class?

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

I can imagine it's alot like me looking at drawings and seeing the framework of how it is made.
It is almost as frustrating as not being able to understand how the detail work is accomplished.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Thomas Aquinas

Post by Thomas Aquinas »

Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein... probably a cliche, but I'm going to say it anyway. The premise was intriguing, the plot engaging, the writing fantastic, the religious allegory well-executed (and a hell of a lot better than Narnia). What more could you want from a book?
not actually a saint.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

It's already been mentioned, though not in this thread I believe. Ed is a huge Heinlein fan.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Signious

Post by Signious »

OK - I wouldn't say I am a Sci-Fi enthusiast (more of a King fan...) but I recently went through the "Old Man's War" Series and LOVED it.... Also "The Dark Tower" series is great reading, and mixes in with a little sci-fi towards book 3 or so (I think). Anyways, on to my point - What books would you recommend that are on the same sort of category of Old Man's War, not going to give away any storyline here, but basically combat in a space environment against other intelligent races, hopefully breaching into a little human enhancement / cloning . Dealing with / explaining crazy physics (doesnt have to be true haha) is also another category I love in sci fi books (to see the spoiler stuff just copy and paste it into a google bar / the quickreply thing, it is a pretty big spoiler in the book, but not unexpected... figured I would be safer rather then ruin a good read for anyone

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

I would go with Armor, by John Steakley.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Thomas Aquinas wrote:Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein... probably a cliche, but I'm going to say it anyway. The premise was intriguing, the plot engaging, the writing fantastic, the religious allegory well-executed (and a hell of a lot better than Narnia). What more could you want from a book?
I did really like Stranger in a Strange Land but found it a little bit distracting that he was trying to push the boundaries of some societal customs and beliefs while sticking to others... but I suppose that's almost unavoidable when reading SciFi that's more than about 25 years old, which I do. A lot.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

So, I'm now reading 'The Enchantments of Flesh and Spirit' by Storm Constantine. I have to say that it is the most interesting story about Post-Apoc psychic reverse-vampire hermaphrodites I have read in quite some time. Also it's apparently part of a trilogy, so now I have to track down the other books to finish the story.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Phoenix
Easily burned, but always comes back for more

Post by Phoenix »

Heinlein is my favorite author as well... I think I might have said that earlier. However, unlike most fans it seems, my favorite books of his were his junior novels (space cadet, have spacesuit: will travel, rocket ship galileo, the rolling stones), rather than his future history works. I love his talent for writing realistic space adventure fiction, while making it as scientifically accurate as possible where applicable.

I Just finished reading an article that I tangent'd a couple times and wound up at, it's the writer's point of view on the movie adaptation of "Puppet Masters" (also a really good book, one of my favorites! I wish I owned it :( ) It puts the book-to-movie process in a new light (at least for me it did), so it was worth a read:

http://www.nitrosyncretic.com/rah/rossio.html

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

I'm glad to know that it wasn't the screenplay adapter's fault, at least. Also, why is sticking closely to the book such a bad thing?

gödel stop spreading fud

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I have no idea.... I mean, that's like the #1 complaint people have when they see movies based on a book, and yet the film people refuse to make it follow the book. It's just... stupid. Some of us want to see an exact movie version of the book, goddamnit! >:(

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

Well, I have no qualms with it. The director wants to add their own interpretation and creative ideas to the film, and I support it as long as the basic gist of the story is maintained. Sometimes the changes are made purely for the case of practicality either in terms of production or plot, so that's cool.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Yes, but almost all the time, sahan, that's NOT the case, and they're just changing it cause they didn't like it.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Or because of time constraints. I mean, each lord of the rings movie was three hours long, could you imagine if they had put everything in each movie? I'd still watch it, but the majority of people don't have good attention spans anymore.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

Oh my gosh, what was that crap in the very beginning and very end of the books with all that ultimately useless information? I'm glad they had to sense to take that all out and just get on with the story.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?