Stephen King

We've read at least one, and we'll prove it!
Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Re: Stephen King

Post by Edminster »

I'm not sure whether to be disappointed or relieved, because I was half-hoping for a book that had a lot of dialogue written in an Austrian accent.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

I really enjoyed Duma Key also, and It was really good. I haven't been able to read his Dark Tower series yet, as I borrow books and it is a rare/non-existent occurrence that any nearby library has more that two of the series (and never the first one) at any one time. :(
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

freako104

Post by freako104 »

Edminster wrote:I'm not sure whether to be disappointed or relieved, because I was half-hoping for a book that had a lot of dialogue written in an Austrian accent.

I would think some of Lovecraft's stories might. Kings, from what I've been reading, almost always takes place in Maine if not some other part of New England. So you'll probably not find any European accents in his books
This isn't really happening!
Spreading the madness of Cthulhu. One mind at a time. Starting with my own

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

I am very disappointed that all the libraries I am a member of seem to have a dearth of H.P. Lovecraft literature. I have to live with the humiliation of having read and recognised Lovecraftian homage literature, but not yet the real thing .
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Apocalyptus wrote:I am very disappointed that all the libraries I am a member of seem to have a dearth of H.P. Lovecraft literature. I have to live with the humiliation of having read and recognised Lovecraftian homage literature, but not yet the real thing .
His work is moving into the public domain now; there are some controversies regarding who owns the copyright but if it gets cleared up soon then you'll be able to find it all for free on the 'net soon. 'Till then it's not like it's hard to find Lovecraft on the internets.

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Yeah, but it's not really the same reading off a screen than off a page ...

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Well, do you own a printer?[/smug]

HARDKORE
The Heavy

Post by HARDKORE »

I made a post about there to find some lovecraft online. speeking of someing lovely online, i sent you another email Cthulhuic princess.
William Osler wrote: "We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from life."

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

I think IT is well worth the slog through. It's like reading the bible, only there's clowns and child-sex.

It's like reading the bible.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Felstaff wrote:I think IT is well worth the slog through. It's like reading the bible, only there's clowns and child-sex.

It's like reading the bible.
Haha, it's funny cos it's true.

Go for it - I promise I won't flip out if it isn't what I was expecting, like a certain locomotive I could mention.
LordRetard wrote:Well, do you own a printer?[/smug]
Yes, but I'm a university student who supports herself by means of a supermarket job. Not all of us can afford infinite reams of paper, you rich bastard!

GreenCrayon
Traditional Iconoclast

Post by GreenCrayon »

Apocalyptus wrote:
LordRetard wrote:Well, do you own a printer?[/smug]
Not all of us can afford infinite reams of paper, you rich bastard!
Also, LR, are you seriously comparing having the convenience of a professionally bound book to having an unwieldy handful of self-printed sheets held together with staples, paper clips and hope?

I thought you worked in a library man. For shame.
Pirate.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Well, if you've spent a lot of time in a library, you might realise that a lot of books actually are just stacks of paper stapled together. I have no idea why we have so many of them. I bet Kinko's could probably bind it together at least as well as some of these monstrosities.

GreenCrayon
Traditional Iconoclast

Post by GreenCrayon »

LordRetard wrote:Well, if you've spent a lot of time in a library, you might realise that a lot of books actually are just stacks of paper stapled together.
Kinda have. Apart from the reference section (which has the crazy microfiche jazz, and stuff that simply can't be bound) pretty much everything I've come across is (or once was) nicely bound. Everything in the fiction section, for definite.
Pirate.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Yeah, that's true. I just wanted to kick up a fuss. Some of the non-fiction is also bad but it's mostly all weird reports and files that I don't know why we have.

I guess it's testament that I'm from a different generation that I have no problem reading from a screen or from loose pieces of paper; I'd rather have a book, but that's only a preference.

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Well I don't know - maybe when they finally invent a good ebook reader that's not exorbitantly expensive I will be more willing to read novels off of a screen, til then I guess I'm just an old fogie trapped in a young nerd's body.