Book Suggestions

We've read at least one, and we'll prove it!
Post Reply
User avatar
Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting
Posts: 5283
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Book Suggestions

Post by Apocalyptus »

Kimra wrote:
Apocalyptus wrote:Well if we're purely talking about Vampire fiction, then Anne Rice stuff would have to be my favourite. It was awhile since I've read them though so I can't remember which specific one I enjoyed the most.
For a really original and interesting Vampire tale though, Sunshine by Robin McKinley is really good! It's set in a contemporary parallel universe thingy that I'm not really sure how to describe. But yeah, its good.
I totally wrote a Vampire Sailor Moon story. Should I get, or loose, points for that?

p.s. if I ever see it and I've got the time I'll give it a go. But I don't really go out of my way for vampire stories... or most stories.
So... many... typos!By linking to that story you've sent me to spelling nazi hell, you bitch.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
Posts: 6853
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

Re: Book Suggestions

Post by Kimra »

Apocalyptus wrote:So... many... typos!By linking to that story you've sent me to spelling nazi hell, you bitch.
Bwa ha ha ha, I have never been more proud than I am at this moment. I wrote that years ago and my spelling and grammar haven't really improved which is sad. But I'm glad to have sent you to hell. Nazi's should suffer!

p.s. Why dear gods did you click on that link? I was using it as proof of my claim, not as encouragement to read it. Here is a much better example of my writing, (and another less cheesy one here) which although not brilliant,* is a vast improvement.

*I probably wont ever be brilliant.
King Prawn

User avatar
Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting
Posts: 5283
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Book Suggestions

Post by Apocalyptus »

Kimra wrote:
Apocalyptus wrote:So... many... typos!By linking to that story you've sent me to spelling nazi hell, you bitch.
Bwa ha ha ha, I have never been more proud than I am at this moment. I wrote that years ago and my spelling and grammar haven't really improved which is sad. But I'm glad to have sent you to hell. Nazi's should suffer!

p.s. Why dear gods did you click on that link? I was using it as proof of my claim, not as encouragement to read it. Here is a much better example of my writing, (and another less cheesy one here) which although not brilliant,* is a vast improvement.

*I probably wont ever be brilliant.
Haha it's sorta like a car crash - you know it's going to be bad, but you just have to look :P
Although I have written and drawn my fair share of (really) bad creative work in my time.
I'm just lucky enough to not have put it online, so I don't have to look at it anymore!
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
Posts: 6853
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

Re: Book Suggestions

Post by Kimra »

Apocalyptus wrote:Haha it's sorta like a car crash - you know it's going to be bad, but you just have to look :P
Although I have written and drawn my fair share of (really) bad creative work in my time.
I'm just lucky enough to not have put it online, so I don't have to look at it anymore!
Why not put them online? Until these last two or three years I've been 100% anonymous on the internet so no-one could actually mock me for the terrible things I posted. It's liberating, especially when no-one gives you feedback in real life and your aim to write is crushed under the disregard of everyone around you.* Anyway, point is that it's refreshing to get some feedback for the things you've invested time and energy into.**

*not bitter.
**post some crap so I can mock it.
:)
King Prawn

User avatar
Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting
Posts: 5283
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Book Suggestions

Post by Apocalyptus »

Haha I'll see what I can unearth, then - now that I'm back at Uni I have reason to procrastinate :P
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
Posts: 8051
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!
Contact:

Re: Book Suggestions

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Apocalyptus wrote: I totally wrote a Vampire Sailor Moon story. Should I get, or loose, points for that?
Lose! LOSE! LOSE!!!!

Sorry. Especially since you grammar has already been called out on this page.
I've just seen this a lot on this board recently, and it is one grammar issue that may just give me a tic someday.
I couldn't let another one just slide by.

User avatar
Cirtur
Licensed Troll Pornographer
Posts: 9964
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:13 pm
Location: Europe
Contact:

Re: Book Suggestions

Post by Cirtur »

Surely its a spelling issue that we're dealing with.

User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
Posts: 8051
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!
Contact:

Re: Book Suggestions

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Cirtur wrote:Surely its a spelling issue that we're dealing with.
It is, kind of. I put it in the same category as the their/they're or your/you're situation. I think it has a foot in both spelling and grammar. Probably because I think, with all of these examples, a little thought would allow people to realize that they are using the wrong word/spelling. It may differ from person to person though, as perhaps some don't realize that they aren't the same word. Also, the error is only made the one way. I don't think I've ever seen someone write that their "laces are too lose."

User avatar
GreenCrayon
Traditional Iconoclast
Posts: 1642
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:16 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Book Suggestions

Post by GreenCrayon »

Lethal Interjection wrote:I don't think I've ever seen someone write that their "laces are too lose."
Although, the other day my lace did actually break, so if I could have retroactively stated "my laces are too lose" I would have had a better day.

My personal bugbear is rogue/rouge. I can't let that one slide, no matter how hard I try.

Oh, and maybe tongue/tounge, but that's really a spelling issue not a misused word.
Pirate.

User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
Posts: 6853
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

Re: Book Suggestions

Post by Kimra »

Lethal Interjection wrote:
Cirtur wrote:Surely its a spelling issue that we're dealing with.
It is, kind of. I put it in the same category as the their/they're situation. I think it has a foot in both spelling and grammar.
If I could intentionally misspell I would write something witty right now. Instead you should be thankful that I keep looking up the correct spelling for grammar, since I always want to spell it gramma (which is apparently a type of pumpkin). I TRY good sir, I TRY. It just so happens that I FAIL not LOOSE, FAIL!*

*It is a particularly sore spot for me being a failure at something that I really wish I could improve on. I have learnt these past few years the difference in spelling they're, their, and there as well as there where, were, we're's, but unless I sit and really concentrate on which to use I still often use the wrong one. Having said all that, whine all you want I'm still going to spell bad no mater how much you make me feel like a subhuman-being. :P
GreenCrayon wrote:Oh, and maybe tongue/tounge, but that's really a spelling issue not a misused word.
I'm sorry, I can't spell this one correctly either. It's up there with sweet/sweat - which can really stuff up the meaning of a sentence.
King Prawn

User avatar
Cirtur
Licensed Troll Pornographer
Posts: 9964
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:13 pm
Location: Europe
Contact:

Re: Book Suggestions

Post by Cirtur »

Kimra wrote:If I could intentionally misspell I would write something witty right now.
See, that's what I attempted to do when replying to Lethal.
Cirtur wrote:Surely its a spelling issue that we're dealing with.
That's the wrong "its/it's" and ending a sentence with a preposition.

User avatar
LordRetard
The Most Retardedest
Posts: 9973
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:44 pm
Location: My Parents' Basement

Re: Book Suggestions

Post by LordRetard »

I actually get a little pissed off when I see any typing error, because I immediately try to analyze it with the mistake intact and I can't read it fluently and figure out what it means. But aaai don't complain.
Cirtur wrote:ending a sentence with a preposition.
Not actually a rule. That's more a style thing, and very few English speakers adhere to it. Moreover it should not be followed when not ending with a preposition will make the sentence more awkward, as with Churchill's famous joke, "that is the sort of thing up with which I will not put."

User avatar
Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting
Posts: 5283
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Book Suggestions

Post by Apocalyptus »

Lethal Interjection wrote:
Apocalyptus wrote: I totally wrote a Vampire Sailor Moon story. Should I get, or loose, points for that?
Lose! LOSE! LOSE!!!!

Sorry. Especially since you grammar has already been called out on this page.
I've just seen this a lot on this board recently, and it is one grammar issue that may just give me a tic someday.
I couldn't let another one just slide by.
Well at least she's not making quoting errors, eh? :P
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
Posts: 8051
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!
Contact:

Re: Book Suggestions

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Apocalyptus wrote: Well at least she's not making quoting errors, eh? :P
I'm not sure what you are referencing.

User avatar
LordRetard
The Most Retardedest
Posts: 9973
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:44 pm
Location: My Parents' Basement

Re: Book Suggestions

Post by LordRetard »

That lose/loose thing is definitely going to be more irritating than other things, because the pronunciation of the word changes with the spelling. Since speech and speech recognition centres of the brain are activated while reading, you're more likely to notice a mistake when the pronunciation is off.

Hurray linguistics powers!

Post Reply