What are you reading right now?

We've read at least one, and we'll prove it!
Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Astrogirl »

I've also not read a book, not even continued or started one, in over 2 years.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

I've read a lot of comic books, a lot of articles, and some books this year which I am pretty glad to have been able to have done considering I've been writing a thesis the whole time.

I'm about to start The Wicked + The Divine by Kieron Gillen, which I have heard a lot of good things about.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Even the two comic books I started reading during my pregnancy I didn't finish and my daughter is 20 months old now.

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

I'm reading Half of a Yellow Sun. I'm doing a chronological Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie marathon, so I started with Purple Hibiscus, which was fascinating and relatable. Ho'aYS is so much more epic in scope, but much like The Casual Vacancy, I quickly got lost in the mire of characters. Richard's the white guy, that's easy enough, and Kainene's strong-headed/ugliness is distinctive, but aunties and uncles and neighbours start to get mixed up in my mind, especially if I go a week or two without reading. Amalas and Arizes and Anulikas get me in a mental muddle. Also it jumps between before the Biafran War and after it, and I must have missed the bit where it informed me of that, so I had to jump back a few times to recall which decade we're currently in.

I've listened to CNA on a few TED talks, and as such I read HoaYS in her voice; one of the few books where the voice in my head is not my own. Now I'm thinking 'what is the usual voice in my mind?' and I don't think it has any connexion to (my perception of) my own voice, nor any sort of tone or personality. Perhaps that's a reflection of me.

But anyway, cracking storytelling.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

I thought you read stuff in the voice/accent you imagine with people.

JosephineTerry1

Post by JosephineTerry1 »

Now I'm about to finish Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne. I am so glad that I hadn't red it when I was a small child. This book is amazing for every age.

Gawdzilla Sama

Post by Gawdzilla Sama »

"The Missing Man", by Katherine MacLean. Nebular Award, Best Novella, 1971. In one scene she describes people sitting on a subway and staring at their personal TV screens, oblivious to their surroundings. Nailed it.