Favorite Book nobody you know has heard of?

We've read at least one, and we'll prove it!
exgasm

Favorite Book nobody you know has heard of?

Post by exgasm »

Or at least not many people you know have heard of.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Re: Favorite Book nobody you know has heard of?

Post by smiley_cow »

All of my favourite books. :P

Most people I know in RL haven't even heard of Terry Pratchett or Neil Gaiman, let alone obscure authors.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

I have a fondness for the books by Bob Powers, even though they're mostly just rehashed blog entries. I'm also a wicked fan of the poet James Tate. Aside from that my tastes just aren't that obscure (although, as Smiley points out, that doesn't really guarantee that even most people have heard of your favourite author).
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

I like all the books listed in the OP.

Seriously that was a lot of effort you put into that list, exgasm.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Amerika
Like Cirtur, only funny

Post by Amerika »

It's exhaustive

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

This Alien Shore by C. S. Friedman has got to be one of my favorite for oddball sci-fi. The basic idea is that the first interstellar travel method caused humanity to mutate into new species, populating the stars with aliens who's history traces back to earth. Enter several centuries later, when most of these colonies have been isolated from direct contact because of abandoning the travel method when its results were discovered, is when the book takes place. Another method of travel has been discovered through hyperspace, and the how of travelling safely through it is maintained by a monopoly from one of the mutated "aliens", except Something has started to disrupt their process.

All in all its a great concept, with some really interesting threads to it, but the actual execution is lackluster. A ton of story threads are introduced, then dropped like a hot potato to be ignored. The narrative is a bit clunky, it could probably have been streamlined some and been amazing, as it is its only good. All of the different races are interesting, especially as they relate to being a mutation from base human and the tensions that have grown around that from the bigoted "True" humans from earth and their abandoned children(as the colonies often saw themselves, suddenly cut off from the support structure they expected to be there when they left).

Cuckoo's Egg by C. J. Cherryh is another great sci fi novel. This one has a great story thats well done and shown, with a poignant ending. Its a stand alone in a world/series she's set up, I haven't read the other books in it so I can't say if they continue the cliff hanger from it or not. I really should one of these days.. She's an Australian author, so that might be why I don't see her work over here often, maybe she's well known down there? I dunno, I just know I'm one of the(/the only) people I know who've read this, or This Alien Shore and they are both books I'd recommend.
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Edminster wrote:I like all the books listed in the OP.

To be fair, he's written more books than he's read.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

DonRetrasado wrote:
Edminster wrote:I like all the books listed in the OP.

To be fair, he's written more books than he's read.
What is the OP? Also who has written more then he's read? I'm confused.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Garth Marenghi reference. Sorry!

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

smiley_cow wrote:All of my favourite books. :P

Most people I know in RL haven't even heard of Terry Pratchett or Neil Gaiman, let alone obscure authors.
Clearly the people in your life fail.

Although I've never had the nerve to start reading Pratchett (my god how many books must I read if I inadvertently like them?!) I know who they are (I think it's a boy but Terry is a girls name in my head so I always have difficulties) and I know their books so I've definatly heard of them.

Neil Gaiman is God. Nuts to anyone who thinks otherwise.
William Goldman and he's essays on screen writing and the screen writing industry.
And Tamora Piece books. They're for kids, and I love them anyway.
King Prawn

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Kimra wrote:Tamora Pierce books.
Oh man that reminds me of the gritty Tamora Pierce habit that I had in my mid to late teens.
I really like Sara Douglass' books too, though I have yet to read the new Axis trilogy.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Kimra wrote:
smiley_cow wrote:All of my favourite books. :P

Clearly the people in your life fail.
This is a pretty accurate statement. They have heard of very few awesome things, which makes me sad.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Agree'd.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

I haven't read Tamora Pierce in forever, though I loved her lioness quartet books back in junior high.

I found Gaimen through Prachett, and I love them both dearly though I'll admit my taste for Gaimen's work isn't all inclusive. I rarely like his non-stand alone stuff it seems. (Oh and they are both men btb Kimra, Gaimen a damned sexy one.) I've read a little Sarah Douglass and thought she was alright.

I had no idea William Goldman had worked in film or on scripts, though his novels are fantastic.

Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus

Post by Kovvy »

DonRetrasado wrote:Garth Marenghi reference. Sorry!
Blood. Blood. Blood. Blood. Blood. Blood. Blood.

I love Terry Pratchett! And I discovered Gaiman through him, too, when I read Good Omens. I still haven't read too much Gaiman (basically a couple Sandman comics, a kids' book called the Wolves in the Walls, and American Gods).

But I don't know how many of my friends have or have not heard of authors I like... I mean, that's a weird way to judge something's merit, isn't it?

Oh yes, I too have a weakness for young-adult-type fantasy novels. Kind of nostalgic. Tamora Pierce certainly fits the bill.