Page 5 of 7

Re: RPG Dice Server

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:49 am
by Kidd
Yeah, those videos really piss me off. I mean, fuck, I understand that using images and videos like that are good to sway weak minds, but jeez, I definitely don't want to spend all day watching a cow get bashed in the head because some hillbilly is bored. I'm a different vegetarian though. I couldn't care less about getting more people to my cause. I'm doing it for my own health reasons. And I know during Christmas, I'll eat meat, only because I can't turn down a Christmas Ham, no matter what. Also, when we kill a deer, I eat the meat from that. I think it's okay because they aren't fed the shit that makes me sick and otherwise, killing them is a waste.

Re: RPG Dice Server

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:50 am
by AHMETxRock
I'm going to shove religion into your faces again. You could just skip it.

When my brothers and sisters ask about eating meat, I explained to them about Halal food. First of all, no pig. Don't eat dogs or anything like that. There are specific rules on what kinds of animals you can't eat, but basically no meat eaters. It makes sense, as the energy trail is stronger the closer to plant eating you get. IF you eat plant eaters, you'll get more energy than from a carnivore.

Anyways, the animals cannot have experiments or anything like that applied to them. No hormones. The animals need to be considered in decent health. When the animal is slaughtered, like a cow, a prair is said, and the animal is killed in a quick and painless way. I'm not good with the translations, but the prair is asking god for permission to kill the animal, and admitting the animal is only being killed for sustenance.

This takes away alot of the criticisms that vegetarians throw at me regarding ethics. I'm acting from religion, they're acting from an equal consideration for animals. We aren't creul, we only kill what is neccessary, and there are strict parameters for which we can eat this meat within. Kosher has a similar system of being kind to the animals, or it isn't valid, although I am no expert.

The next thing the siblings asked me after I answered whether or not eating meat was wrong, was whether being vegetarian was wrong. I told them that that is not wrong. I let them know that as long as they follow the rules of religion, it is accepted by god (and who else do you need to score points with in the end?). However, choosing not to eat meat is perfectly acceptable, and that provided with the right diet, there would be no real drawbacks.

That being said, those slaughterhouses are terrible. Those of you who have read The Jungle probably understand a bit. The real reason that there is this much arguing is that no one agrees to what is right.

Re: RPG Dice Server

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:33 am
by mountainmage
Skipped.*






*just kidding.

Re: RPG Dice Server

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:54 am
by diode_dirigible
AHMETxRock wrote: It makes sense, as the energy trail is stronger the closer to plant eating you get. IF you eat plant eaters, you'll get more energy than from a carnivore.


Not really... the energy you get from eating a carnivore will be pretty close to what you get from a herbivore, depending on the animal of course.
It's more efficient to eat a herbivore, if you are looking at the cost of raising the animal and so on. Was that your point?

Re: RPG Dice Server

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:21 am
by mountainmage
If carnivores eat herbivores, wouldn't eating a carnivore give you all the benefits of both?*





*Probably not, but it sounds good on paper.

Re: RPG Dice Server

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:09 am
by Lethal Interjection
mountainmage wrote:Vegetarians that look down on people who eat annoy the crap out of me. I remember, senior year of college, some vegetarian kid for a project decided to show one of those PETA propaganda videos, much to the disgust of the entire class. During which he said in his extremely effeminate voice how what they do is wrong, yada yada yada. Afterwards, I asked the class, "Who's hungry for McDonalds?" I got a laugh (from the teacher too) and pissed off the high-and-mighty vegetarian, so all in all it was an entertaining class.


The problem is that it only works with a crew of city kids. I mean, I know farmers who don't participate in the commercial farms mentioned (and those videos are obviously the most extreme, deplorable farms imaginable). Plus, my roomate has a freezer half-full of deer meat that him and his cousins hunted. My sister's old roomate came from a back-water town in Michigan and their family never buys meat from the grocery store, because they only eat what they hunt and farm (which gave me the opportunity to try a bear roast and even a hunk of beaver meat). It is difficult to argue the ethics of that, in my opinion. I mean, if you want to be all animistic and say that killing animals is wrong, then I suppose you are condemning all of history. If you have a problem with mass commercial farms (or the mass commercialization of the food industry in general), and therefore decide to be vegetarian or vegan*, I can understand that. Just don't tell me that in any situation it is wrong to kill animals.

*And the economy loves vegans. Especially vegans against GMOs. Go ahead, spend twice as much on food!

Re: RPG Dice Server

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:13 am
by mountainmage
What does beaver taste like?



Oh that was so perfect, I'm giving myself a pat on the back. Thanks Lethal.

Re: RPG Dice Server

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:22 am
by Lethal Interjection
mountainmage wrote:What does beaver taste like?



Oh that was so perfect, I'm giving myself a pat on the back. Thanks Lethal.


Oh, I know. I've set up that joke so many times, and yet it is still funny. It wasn't just set-up though, I have actually tried Castor canadensis.

Re: RPG Dice Server

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:25 am
by mountainmage
Oh I believe you. That's why I asked!

Re: RPG Dice Server

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:29 am
by Lethal Interjection
mountainmage wrote:Oh I believe you. That's why I asked!


Ah, a genuine question, not just for joke's sake. Well, I will continue being serious, though it will continue to sound like me perpetuating the joke.
The beaver I tried was rather greasy, actually. Ahem.
I would probably liken it most closely to rabbit, though I haven't had that in over a decade. The closest thing to it that I've had recently would probably be venison, though that hardly does it justice.

Re: RPG Dice Server

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:34 am
by mountainmage
Well it was both a joke and an inquiry into what it tasted like. I've never had deer or rabbit, so I guess I won't know what it tastes like until I try it (Read: I'll never know).

Re: RPG Dice Server

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:45 pm
by wolf
mountainmage wrote:I've never had deer or rabbit, so I guess I won't know what it tastes like until I try it (Read: I'll never know).


Venison is actually really good mage. I find it smells a little odd when its being cooked but it tastes fantastic. Moose I'm not a fan of, emu and ostrich I had years ago so I cannot remember the taste and rabbit was ok.

...How does this happen? How does a thread called RPG Dice Server turn in to this? How do we do it?

Re: RPG Dice Server

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:56 pm
by Edminster
By the sheer power of Attention Deficit Disorder. From what I can tell, everybody here has it.

Anyway, on the topic of exotic animals we've eaten, I had elephant way back when I was little. I really want to try Platypus, but I don't think that's ever going to happen. There was something else I was going to say, but I was distracted by a news item about videogames so the thought is long gone.

Re: RPG Dice Server

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:05 pm
by Lethal Interjection
wolf wrote:
mountainmage wrote:I've never had deer or rabbit, so I guess I won't know what it tastes like until I try it (Read: I'll never know).


Venison is actually really good mage. I find it smells a little odd when its being cooked but it tastes fantastic. Moose I'm not a fan of, emu and ostrich I had years ago so I cannot remember the taste and rabbit was ok.

...How does this happen? How does a thread called RPG Dice Server turn in to this? How do we do it?


I love it. What I love even more is that in the puzzle thread, Ahmet just gave up on the puzzling, just because we tangented. That is just the way it goes here, people.

Re: RPG Dice Server

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:13 pm
by Asherian
I ate kangroo once.. it was pretty tasty, but erm.. word.. tough? Chewy? Something like that. Big fan of snake too, stuff is just tasty.

My S/O is going on about how "Bear is frickin tasty". He's also got a list a mile long of weird meat he's eaten. Apparently roofrat(pigeon) is nasty, horse is pretty bad tasting, and chipmunks are edible. Apparently he's prepping for the zombie apocolypse by learning the tasty animals to try and live off of? I don't know, his family eats crazy things like cherduckin though too, why is beyond me.

Vege's I don't mind so long as they grokk they need a diverse diet to be getting all their nutrients. I've yet to meet a vegan who wasn't a self righteous ass though, apparently going the extra mile to refuse cheese breaks the brain. Just remember, by cutting meat out of your diet your making yourself tastier. Cannibals love you! So do zombies.

The important thing is the tangents are Awesome. Besides, what more could really have been said on this topic? Ohhh dice! yay!(?)

*Apparently deep fried sparrow on a stick is tasty, and reminds him of fable to much.