NaNoWriMo

For original creative work. For the love of Zach, read Rule 30.

Moderator: Kimra

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Re: NaNoWriMo

Post by Kimra »

I'm pretty sure the rules say you can write a book of poetry. Not that there are rules per say, it's not like you win anything.
King Prawn

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Kimra wrote:You could make a book of bad poetry. I don't think it says you have to write a novel.
Well it is National Novel Writing Month, but that doesn't mean you can't write a novel in rhyme.

I'm tempted to try it this year, seeing as how this is the first time I've ever had enough time in November (seriously, why November? November is exams, finals and essays, it's the busiest month of the year). But I'm not sure if I want to put my other projects on hold for a month for it.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus

Post by Kovvy »

I tried doing it either last year or the year before... Failed miserably, tried to salvage a little honor by at least turning it into NaStoWriMo, but didn't even finish what I'd started.
Boo me.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

If I am inspired between now and then, perhaps.
I do intend to write more, and I might make November kind of a challenge in that regard, but it will not likely be fiction of any sort.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I always fail miserably, but the point is I give it a go. Which I'm always proud of. I'd be more proud if I finished the project, but considering my track record, starting is almost as impressive.

I'm gonna write a story about someone studying magic and they suck. It might reflect how much I suck at studying. Yay for originality.
King Prawn

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

I fully intend to try, I'm working out an outline and general character concepts right now.

I'll admit, I'm letting my latest reading selections heavily influence it : / I'm currently planning on what will likely be a cheesetastic vampire romance series. At least partially cause there are a few things in the genre I haven't seen done I'd think would be fun ideas to play with, and because its something I'm sure I could spew words out at without to much difficulty.

After all the goal is size, not high concept. And well.. I've got a thing on for supernatural things right now, I have no idea why, but my reading reflects it.
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

I think I'm going for a Rollins-style mash of poetry, vignettes/short stories and journal entries randomly pasted into a book (they were quite literally cut and pasted into books and photocopied when he came out with his first book).
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

May I venture we post the stuff as we write it on the forum? Just to see other people are doing it and how far along they've gotten.

No one would actually be obliged to read it.
King Prawn

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

I could try and finish my Tobias series, or actually do work on the novel idea that I have been playing around with for a while. A whole novel is a lot during exam time though
Apocalyptus wrote: Nothing can beat the image of mouth muffling breast implants.

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

Truth to that, That might be fun Kimra if we do it in its own sub thread. Or maybe just links to our work somewhere else? That thing would get Massive real fast.
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

I'm thinking of opening a new forum specifically for NaNoWriMo writers to post, so that people can see and comment on everyone else's work. We'll have threads dedicated to each individual poster; you can't create a thread unless you're an author (we'll figure out how to do this later). I don't have these powers myself but I'll speak to Ed to make sure it's doable. Or would you guys like two threads each, one for commentary and one for posting your novels? But that sounds rather fucking convoluted so I'll doubt that'll happen.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I think if people want to comment then the comments can be on the same thread. Not like it's be hard to distinguish. Umm... besides that I like the idea. I'm willing to participate. But maybe just make a thread for each person wanting to write and make it so no more threads can be made?

Possibly the whole concept is too much work, but if it's not that'd be fun. Even if we all give up or can't finish, it's always nice to have a support system for these sort of undertakings. :)
King Prawn

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

DonRetrasado wrote: We'll have threads dedicated to each individual poster; you can't create a thread unless you're an author (we'll figure out how to do this later).
I've got two ways I can do this, I think. I have to check to make sure though. Gonna need a couple guinea pigs to test shit on. Who's up for maybe having their account destroyed through my half-semi-complete understanding of the forum's backend?
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Oh oh! Me!
King Prawn

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Instead of risking someone's account, couldn't we just create a dummy account to test things?

Also, I was planning on having a public google docs folder for this and just linking for a thread. But if you guys want to get complicated, I strongly approve!
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.