FAQ [For the less clever, answers are inside]

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Re: FAQ

Post by Astrogirl »

We could have both. This forum part for (mostly) the guests and an evil twin, the must-be-registered-all-comics-in-one-thread thread.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

The last thing we need is more places to talk about the comic.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Quintushalls

Post by Quintushalls »

Edminster wrote: Inasmuch as "making a cesspit as bad as the Sci-Phi section" falls under "working fine" then yeah I'll agree with you.
Hey, you made this forum. Don't look at me. If you don't like it, then the experiment didn't work and just combine everything into one thread. I still think it was worth giving it a shot, as the scientists we are. Now we know.

The deciding factor I would use, despite the complainers, is if overall membership rose during this time? How about the participation rate of the one thread versus the sub-forum? If participation fell or membership is stagnant, then merge it and the experiment failed. Though if you do find positive results, then why don't we keep it running a little longer, shall we?

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

The quantity of people may have gone up, but I'd say the quality has gone down.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Quintushalls wrote:The deciding factor I would use, despite the complainers, is if overall membership rose during this time
Man do I have a deal for you! Three dozen rotted apples for only twenty dollars, which is way better than a dozen perfect Granny Smiths for the same price. Why, think of all you could do with them! You could
  • Make a shitty pie
  • Make a disgusting tart
  • Eat the worms inside for extra protein
  • And many more!
Quintushalls wrote:Hey, you made this forum.
At your behest, lest you forget.
Quintushalls wrote:I still think it was worth giving it a shot, as the scientists we are. Now we know.
Except for the part where we already knew based on observation of other forums that have tried the same approach.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Quintushalls

Post by Quintushalls »

Edit: Aww, my dear Edminster. In that case, thank you very much for all your hard work! I know this was a big risk and thank you for taking it. If you want to return it to the native format, then be my guest. No harm, no foul. At least we tried. :)

Lethal Interjection wrote:The quantity of people may have gone up, but I'd say the quality has gone down.
That is really subjective on the definition of what it was prior to what it is currently. There are a few posts under 5 words in each topic, but not the majority. I don't see a lot of "Youtube" type discussion with posts like "LOL", "(I am ignorant and should be dragged into the street and shot in the mouth.)", ":)", or the like. If you see something I don't, then I'm obviously an idiot. The conversation is far more intelligent than it was when we were using the chat interface.

I still think the numbers will tell all and will probably be in your favor. My guess is that "Discuss This Comic In The Forum" will link to a single thread and guest posts will be turned off. I'm hoping things stay as they are, but if the active users hate it, then who am I to judge? If things have gone well with the participation and guest posts, will the most active users become less active if the format stays the same? If they don't leave, then it just depends what the admins think is more important. If you want to build an active fan base, and more posts to be modded causes more work for them, then things will most likely go in your favor. By Edminster's reaction, I'm assuming administrating this forum has become a bit of a strain?

Personally, I'm mainly a voyeur/lurker here. My opinion really shouldn't hold any weight to these decisions. I'm just trying to approach this experiment as scientifically as possible.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I'd say stick with it for a while. We're getting annoying people, but who knows what time will tell?
King Prawn

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Quintushalls wrote:The conversation is far more intelligent than it was when we were using the chat interface.
For serious? Then it's no wonder it finally got nuked.

The whole point to agreeing to make this abomination was really to get you, Quintushalls, to post more. You seem calm, rational, polite, and with just the right amount of self-deprecating humour to fit in fine around here. So it kinda kills me to hear you say that you are not going to take advantage of the thing you said would draw out lurkers/voyeurs.

At this point I'm in favour of keeping the damned thing as a sort of Two Minutes' Hate sort of deal, so that the Forum proper can be unified against a common enemy.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Quintushalls

Post by Quintushalls »

Edminster wrote: The whole point to agreeing to make this abomination was really to get you, Quintushalls, to post more.
Oh, thank you. Yeah, I get intimidated easily. I started posting frequently and then after posts like this:
GUTCHUCKER wrote:Are we going to do this for every fucking comic? 'Cause this is incredilame
I assumed my humor wasn't wanted and went back to lurking. But if you really think so, I'll start posting more. :)

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I'm sorry to say this, but you had better not take anything anyone says personally. You will abandon us far too quickly if you do.
King Prawn

Quintushalls

Post by Quintushalls »

Kimra wrote:I'm sorry to say this, but you had better not take anything anyone says personally. You will abandon us far too quickly if you do.
Really? hmm.. I'll take that into consideration. Thanks! :)

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

The thing Gutchucker was referring to was posting a thread solely to make a pithy comment on the comic for every comic. The thing you seem to be missing is that SMBC, on the whole, is not a very good comic. By all means participate in threads that get made, but just think to yourself "does this strip really need a thread dedicated to it?" before posting a new thread.

gödel stop spreading fud

Quintushalls

Post by Quintushalls »

Edminster wrote:The thing Gutchucker was referring to was posting a thread solely to make a pithy comment on the comic for every comic. The thing you seem to be missing is that SMBC, on the whole, is not a very good comic. By all means participate in threads that get made, but just think to yourself "does this strip really need a thread dedicated to it?" before posting a new thread.
Oh...I'm learning a lot today. I'll keep that in mind.

gavinMugwampsupreme

Post by gavinMugwampsupreme »

I'm actually relieved. Now I have a valid reason to just drop debates when they've gotten overly tedious. I would, however, appreciate being able to explain my card when the time comes. Hastily scrawled though it is. Just a small ban would have been sufficient to meet my request, I will not continue the debate at all now and if Vargonian continues then it is at his own peril, not mine.

Also, is there a way to communicate with the admins while banned other than posting as a guest (which clearly undermines the purpose of it)?

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

I am ridiculously contactable!
Google+ https://plus.google.com/105285954213224196778
email- Retsnimdecorp@gmail.com
YIM- Retsnimdecorp@yahoo.com
MSN- Retsnimdecorp@gmail.com
AIM- Retsnimdecorp

You do realise you're only out for a week, right? Well, two now that I'm tacking on an extra week for trying to skirt around probation. If the game comes up before then just pass your explanation on through me and I'll post it for you.

gödel stop spreading fud