Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

[2011-Aug-23] Doin' Your Mom

Post by Lethal Interjection »

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db ... 2346#comic

I quite liked this one.

Though I'm not quite sure what is going on with the votey.

Re: Doin' Your Mom [August 23 2011]

Post by Guest »

Sorrrry math is wrong :x

Its 2 * (YOUR age at THEIR birth) -0.75

Post by Guest »

lol im not mad, damn you failure smileys

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Guest wrote:Sorrrry math is wrong :x

True. Or else you could be doing this once a year.
Also, while the .75 is reasonable, you can often be more accurate.

And you should be mad. Mad for not registering.

yossarian

Post by yossarian »

That votey was quite odd..

"I though you were Buying?"

A subliminal advertising strategy perhaps?

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

yossarian wrote:That votey was quite odd..

"I though you were Buying?"

A subliminal advertising strategy perhaps?
I guess that's what it is?

I didn't see the U over the D at first. I thought it was an attempt at a scratch-out. Which made bying which I figured was supposed to mean the same thing, but looked pretty stupid. Still pretty stupid.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Sorrrry math is wrong :x

But (YOUR age at THEIR birth) = (Your kid's age), that's the whole point. (Also, +0.75 is correct).

orinthe

Post by orinthe »

The math looks fine to me:

A₀ = A - K - 0.75 ("Parent's age at conception is parent's current age minus kid's current age minus 9 months", generally the case)
A₀ = K ("Kid's current age equals parent's age at conception", the case on this day)
Therefore,
2K + 0.75 = A

Since A₀ = K, the equation can also be expressed as A = 2A₀ + 0.75 ("Parent's current age is twice the parent's age at conception plus 9 months"), but this does not change the validity of the equation in the comic.

P.S.:
As "Guest" pointed out, another way to express it is A = 2A′ - 0.75 ("Parent's current age is twice parent's age at kid's birth minus 9 months").
A′ = A₀ + 0.75, so A = 2(A₀ + 0.75) - 0.75 = 2A₀ + 1.5 - 0.75 = 2A₀ + 0.75. Merely another way to express it, no less valid.

paradise

Post by paradise »

Regardless of whether or not the math implies what he intended it to (it does), the simple statement that there is one such day when the statement is true also holds true. The parent's age and the child's age are both linear functions, so if each stays linear, no matter what other transformations you do on them, the two functions will have only one point of intersection--exactly one day when your age is twice their age plus 9 months.

Ringo

Post by Ringo »

I'm happy to report that I'll be able to say that I was doing my future child's mother on several other occasions other than that of their conception, though I guess without some kind of video proof (do people do that?) a child is really the only true record that it ever happened as well as the best way of estimating the age of my then-to-be past(?) self's sexuational activities.
Man, Douglas Adams was right about the grammatical difficulties associated with time travel.

Eric

Post by Eric »

The math is wrong. It is adding a time quantity with a unitless quantity. This makes no sense, unless we're working with a unit system where time is measured with a dimensionless unit. Does a standard system like that exist? If so, is the age given by the math reasonable?

Post by Guest »

Regarding the votey: It was 'dying' at first, then Zack seems to have changed the D into an O and added the B. Strange...

SmartfishD

Post by SmartfishD »

I think I figured out the votey! Zach when writing it out started to write the 'burn' that the father was supposed to say stopped then wrote dying!

Post by Guest »

This doesn't work out so well because I would be 47 when my dad would be telling me this...

5of0

Post by 5of0 »

Regarding the votey: if you right-click view image, the weirdness disappears - because the BU (?) is transparent, so it shows up against the black border, but not against the (usually) white background of the browser. Which means it may not have shown up to Zach until he put it up against the black border?

As for why those pixels are transparent, your guess is as good as mine. It's really...strange. Here's the alpha channel that shows the "BU":