Things I've researched for writing

For original creative work. For the love of Zach, read Rule 30.

Moderator: Kimra

Jiro
Carbon copy

Re: Things I've researched for writing

Post by Jiro »

We had better not be mistaken. I want my damned space travel before I'm too wrinkly and old to have some sweet inter-alien lovin.

sotic
[Insert Here]

Post by sotic »

Jiro wrote:I made some rough guesstimates about space travel through quick research into physics and our solarsystem and such. Then this new particle-faster-than-light shows up and kind of messes everything up. It's not like its been conclusive either. The bastards have ruined my sci-fi novel and not even given me space travel to make up with it.

Everything else I just make up in my head. Screw historical accuracy etc, it's all about explosions and fast women and shit.
The superluminal neutrinos were measured in error. Why? Special relativity. (The clocks were synchronised by GPS, involving three frames of reference and thereby two opportunities for special relativity to muck everything up.)
Wind catches lily / Scatt'ring petals to the wind: / Segmentation fault

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

FTL travel? Just write a throw away line about how they keep trying to figure it out but can't actually manage the task.
King Prawn

In Jam
[Insert Penis Here]

Post by In Jam »

sotic wrote:The superluminal neutrinos were measured in error. Why? Special relativity. (The clocks were synchronised by GPS, involving three frames of reference and thereby two opportunities for special relativity to muck everything up.)

GPS already takes special relativity into account, if they didn't our maps would drift 2km a day.

sotic
[Insert Here]

Post by sotic »

In Jam wrote:
sotic wrote:The superluminal neutrinos were measured in error. Why? Special relativity. (The clocks were synchronised by GPS, involving three frames of reference and thereby two opportunities for special relativity to muck everything up.)

GPS already takes special relativity into account, if they didn't our maps would drift 2km a day.
herp
http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/27260/
derp
Wind catches lily / Scatt'ring petals to the wind: / Segmentation fault

In Jam
[Insert Penis Here]

Post by In Jam »

Well if a dutch scientist thinks it's right, it must be! The article doesn't mention the fact that GPS already uses special relativity.

And one more thing, the experiment was repeated for 3 years and they got the same results, but the satellites would have been in a different place so if it was to do with their movement, the neutrinos would have taken longer than the speed of light some times and shorter at others.

edit: more research shows that the clocks at OPERA and CERN were atomic clocks and have been checked with other clocks around the world. The distance is accurate and the time is accurate.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

how 'bout we all just wait for the experiment to be replicated before we say anything stupid
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

In Jam
[Insert Penis Here]

Post by In Jam »

how 'bout you shut your GODDAMN MOUTH and let me reiterate my opinion that whilst it is likely that they have overlooked something THIS IS NOT THE THING THEY HAVE OVERLOOKED

I AM VERY ANGRY 8)

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

I'm still puzzled by your profile picture, so lets all just agree to have unsolvable emotions
Apocalyptus wrote: Nothing can beat the image of mouth muffling breast implants.

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Fairly sure they also mentioned that the neutrinos might be taking shortcuts through other dimensions and might not actually be moving faster than light. 7D space travel, anyone?
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

carbonstealer wrote:I'm still puzzled by your profile picture, so lets all just agree to have unsolvable emotions
Having seen the 'original' picture, I am now convinced it is nothing phallic, and it's just someones drooly mouth.
King Prawn

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

I sort of thought that could be a thing but i think you need to share this photo with us so we can better understand
Apocalyptus wrote: Nothing can beat the image of mouth muffling breast implants.

Jiro
Carbon copy

Post by Jiro »

GUTCHUCKER wrote:Fairly sure they also mentioned that the neutrinos might be taking shortcuts through other dimensions and might not actually be moving faster than light. 7D space travel, anyone?
That is good enough for me. 7D alien lovin' is also acceptable. So long as we don't get a Star Ocean-esque swift kick to the balls. That would not be pleasant on all 7 planes.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

I saw the whole picture and it still looks like the penis. So the "artist" is probably in his teens.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

In Jam
[Insert Penis Here]

Post by In Jam »

"Artist"

what's with the """"? (I have put the quotes in quotes so as not to confuse anyone)