What games are you playing right now?

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Re: What games are you playing right now?

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

To be fair, I only played the demo version with the level 20 cap. It never really drew me in. My brother and I got a box set of Star Wars PC games several years ago - we loved Kotor, Battlefront, and Empire at War. Jedi Knight II left something to be desired, but it was already pretty dated by the time we got it - I can imagine it was quite good when it was released. The demo for SWG was the other one we got from the set.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Space Hulk

It's an adaptation of the classic board game of the same name, wherein you field a squad of Terminators boarding a monstrously huge derelict spaceship in an attempt to cleanse it of an infestation of aliens. More importantly, my laptop can actually run it.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Edminster wrote:Space Hulk
I was not aware there was a newish version of this game. I didn't think you meant that 1993 version because no one I knew played that for more than about 15 minutes before giving up in absolute frustration.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

It's really fucking tense; losing only a third of your force by the end of a mission feels like a real accomplishment. I *almost* got an achievement for bringing home 80% of my Terminators on a mission where the explicit objective was to draw out an entrenched enemy but a bolter jam at the last minute left me shy by one. I did at least have one dude kill three Genestealers in hand-to-hand combat in a single round though, so that was nice.

I really do feel it is a faithful adaptation, because I feel the exact same kind of glee as a child when setting up a proper overwatch and mowing down dozens of Genestealers as they come through the bottleneck, generally followed by cursing at a bolter jam allowing the moments reprieve for the monsters to leap in and shred Brother Scipio, and then more specifically despair following another bad dice roll causing your shield-carrying Sergeant who was standing right behind him as a living bulkhead to be split open like a pea pod.

For the two bucks Oldrac spent getting it to me, it is a fantastic value. Atmospherically, it really pushes the 'you are controlling a squad of men ten feet tall through corridors just barely large enough for them to fit' as well as the 'this is a well-oiled machine of death being thrown into the vanguard forces of The Great Devourer, good luck'.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

I never played the Space Hulk board game, but I played 40K from just after 1st edition came out until 4th edition. I always played Blood Angels, although for 1st edition it was just a paint scheme. I always hated Nids. Playing a hand-to-hand focused space marine army against the rending death of genestealers, tyranids and their myriad of other ugly aliens always sucked. The worst was the third edition Carnifex. There was a while that you could make them nearly unkillable.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Haha, that's basically the exact opposite of my experience. I've played 40k 2nd and 3rd (and a few games of Apocalypse and 4th), but always as Tyranids. While they are fantastic at melee, it kind of breaks down against basically anything else. It didn't help any that my older brother preferred to field Tau and Eldar, either.
Kaharz wrote:The worst was the third edition Carnifex. There was a while that you could make them nearly unkillable.
Yesssss, extended carapace or whatever giving him a 2+ save with regeneration. God bless that mess. I'm really bummed that I never got a chance to purchase an Old One Eye model, that thing was boss as hell. What I really hated though were the changes to Biovores; what used to be a great area-denial (and thus mobility-defeating) unit became something you needed to field half a dozen of to be useful :/

gödel stop spreading fud

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

There weren't a lot of Nid players in the groups I played with, so I'm not familiar with the biovores really. The last time I played against them was a fairly small Apocolypse game, I think around 7k points each side. I was teamed up with a Tau player and the Nid player was teamed up with Chaos player. We wiped the floor with them. I just deep struck almost my entire army on the flank of the chaos units and let the Tau player shoot the crap out of the tyranids. I probably only played against tyranids a dozen times or so.

Also, fuck space elves. Howling Banshees were bane of my existence. I lost so many high point units to them. I played on and off for somewhere around 15 or 16 years and my fondest memory is still jumping over a wall with a squad of death company and wiping out two full squads of guardians and as well as a warlock and its retinue after three rounds of hand to hand. That same game though my command squad was taken out by a squad of howling banshees that probably cost a quarter of the points my unit did. Jerks

PyroPrav
The party don't start 'til I chime in

Post by PyroPrav »

Ed is holding a gun to my head right now, making me type up this post.

I just finished playing The Wolf Among Us, some game by some guys call Telltale Games. Not sure if you guys have heard of them.

I liked it! That ending was something for certain, so many question still unanswered. Hopefully they make a Season 2 for TWAU.
I would say it's better than The Walking Dead Season 1 but that would be biased as it's been a while since I finished TWD S1.

So.. well played TTG, good job.
They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Geoguessr changed their format a bit and I'm pretty peeved. Going to go into hipster mode for a sec and say they updated it because they were getting a fair bit of press.

e: unrelated, but my two housemates and and I went out with one of our friends to a nice bar nearby and played Apples to Apples. A drunk guy came over and told us how funny the game was, repeatedly. Then he called out one of the housemates for doing poorly: "huh, all of them have lots of green, where are all yours? where are they?"

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

Is geoguesser still super slow? I enjoyed playing it with the wife, bit would get annoyed after a few rounds due the slow load times.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Kaharz wrote:Is geoguesser still super slow? I enjoyed playing it with the wife, bit would get annoyed after a few rounds due the slow load times.
Nah, not that slow.

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

I completed Tomb Raider (1996) and am now playing through Tomb Raider II. Sadly, my original PSone disc of Tomb Raider II didn't work in my PS3 (apparently Sony lost the master disc?) so I had to buy it off the PlayStation Store, which is unnavigable since they removed the PSone filter a few months ago. Also I think they jacked up the prices, 'cause I bought G-Police from there, like, 2 months ago for only £1.99 and now all titles I search for are £4.99. Can anyone verify this assumed jacking up of prices? (I can't check the price of G-Police as it says 'already purchased' in the cashy cashy tab).
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Why, I purchased G-Police for but a tuppence a fortnight past.

DanielMatt

Post by DanielMatt »

Currently back to playing Shadow of Mordor, I really wanted to finish the game but real life distracted me for about a week or two. But now I am back to where I want to be and I am going to enjoy the game. Near the end already – cannot wait to finish.
The complete Marvel reading order - http://cmro.travis-starnes.com

Crowner

Post by Crowner »

Im playing League of legends, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution and GTA V.