[2018-04-18] Confession

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Tony

[2018-04-18] Confession

Post by Tony »

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/confession

Since they've been together for the entire time, wouldn't that be a relationship of Theseus?

Kit.

Re: [2018-04-18] Confession

Post by Kit. »

This "soul" thingy she is speaking about... why should it depend on whether those tiny machines composing his body are hers or the original ones, as long as they perform exactly the same function?

Tony

Post by Tony »

Kit. wrote:This "soul" thingy she is speaking about... why should it depend on whether those tiny machines composing his body are hers or the original ones, as long as they perform exactly the same function?
Nanomachines can't interact with the soul because (1) machines weren't co-created with souls, (2) machines have no supernatural aspects, and (3) souls don't exist.

I should probably have put that third one first.

Kit.

Post by Kit. »

But none of these 3 depends on whether those nanomachines are natural or synthetic.

Tony

Post by Tony »

Kit. wrote:But none of these 3 depends on whether those nanomachines are natural or synthetic.
I was making a joke. Actually I agree with you (I think!) in that I don't see how it would be an issue. Human cells are constantly being replaced anyway; if something else (natural or synthetic) is substituted, and it exactly matches the original cells' form and function, how could that affect the person's identity?

On that note, how about an alternative "Confession" comic?