[2018-04-23] Hell

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Tony

[2018-04-23] Hell

Post by Tony »

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/hell

That would be once every second, 16 hours a day for 224.4 years--but the guy doesn't look a day over 180. Maybe the comic is set in a bizarro future where incredible lifespans are possible, but you can still get pilloried on social media for supporting LGBTQ and abortion rights?

Mildly interestingly, 4,720,989,851 is a prime number and the preceding and following odd numbers have only two factors besides themselves and 1:

4,720,989,849 = 3 × 1,573,663,283
4,720,989,853 = 733 × 6,440,641

Also, the demon misuses conjunctions and mixes his verb tenses (you were/you use). But what do you expect from such hellspawn?

P.S. - Damn it, everything's a Tide® commercial!

NeatNit
[Insert Here]

Re: [2018-04-23] Hell

Post by NeatNit »

I want to know how the tide ad thing works. If he's in a simulation, he can't buy Tide detergent, and even if he could buy it within the simulation, no money can transfer from him to Tide in any way. So Tide has absolutely no monetary interest in advertising to this person.

Edit: many typos were fixed

Post by Guest »

It doesn't suggest that other people thought he should be punished it was he himself that thought he would be therefore his simulation is like this. So I imagine it as a future where incredible lifespans are possible, people are cool with you supporting LGBT and abortion rights, but that guy in particular believed he would go to hell for it and so he did- as a service xD

There are a small number of people in this world who seriously worship satan i wonder if this is their dream come true xD

Ibri

Post by Ibri »

No, you misread it. It is other users who think someone should be judged and the punishment is based on the believes of those other users.

Btw that digital existence is about the only way to be trapped semi permanently is one reason why I would be hesitant about getting digitized. Or just be unable to be sure that deleting my main version ends my existence because somebody might have gotten a copy. Not that others would have much reason to do that but still.

Tony

Post by Tony »

Ibri wrote:Btw that digital existence is about the only way to be trapped semi permanently is one reason why I would be hesitant about getting digitized. Or just be unable to be sure that deleting my main version ends my existence because somebody might have gotten a copy. Not that others would have much reason to do that but still.
Ibri, you really should read Accelerando by Charles Stross. Trust me, you'll love it.

NotDragon

Post by NotDragon »

Isn't it just the case with these things that you always realize them too late?

Kit.

Post by Kit. »

Is it the first time Zach comes close to Roko's basilisk?

Sizlak Jones

Post by Sizlak Jones »

Ibri wrote:No, you misread it. It is other users who think someone should be judged and the punishment is based on the believes of those other users.

Btw that digital existence is about the only way to be trapped semi permanently is one reason why I would be hesitant about getting digitized. Or just be unable to be sure that deleting my main version ends my existence because somebody might have gotten a copy. Not that others would have much reason to do that but still.
Black Mirror covers some of these concepts fairly well.

Tony

Post by Tony »

Sizlak Jones wrote:Black Mirror covers some of these concepts fairly well.
I don't think I would agree that it covers the concepts well. It does, however, do a fine job of presenting some of those concepts' more chilling implications.

Sizlak Jones

Post by Sizlak Jones »

Tony wrote:
Sizlak Jones wrote:Black Mirror covers some of these concepts fairly well.
I don't think I would agree that it covers the concepts well. It does, however, do a fine job of presenting some of those concepts' more chilling implications.
Fair. They do love the concept of a digital self... and then finding horrible things that can be done to the digital self.